Another viewpoint on the 1/07/07 sailing on the Dawn

Joanniebop

Hopefuly this review can give you a little insight into the Dawn, as I see it.

Embarkation: Terrible

Arrived around 11:45AM..the ship was late and they had a lot of non US people to get thru customs. So we were herded into the large room and were told to "keep the line moving" only to be placed on the other side on the room were we had to stand and wait. The upstairs latitude section was full.

When they finally brought the latitudes members down for check-in, we were told that we could not get in the latitudes line for security reasons. I thought that was a perk of being latitudes..Guess it only applies if you get their early.

Now I understand that if the ship is delayed then we would not be able to board for a while, but I'm sure that this wasn't the first time that NCL has experienced a late boarding, so why not have enough seats for everyone? The room at the pier is enourmous, so if they had enough chairs, there would have been plenty of room. Standing for over 1 hour and 1/2 was difficult for many passengers. I didn't see any snacks or drinks being offered by NCL except for the trays of snacks that they were carrying upstairs to the latitudes area.

When we finally boarded, we were directed to the Garden Cafe, I wanted to have lunch in the Venetian..We were told my many employees that the Venetian was not opened..I thought that maybe because of the late boarding, that the Venetian was really closed, but while waiting for my DD near the Cafe, I asked a man, turned out to be one of the Maitre'ds,and he told be the Venetian was open and we had lunch.

Boarding was the worst part of the cruise. Everything else was very good,.

I am just going to address some of the items that are usually discussed and in questions.

We never had to wait to be seated in the Venetian for dinner, and we dined at all different times. Service was excellent and the food was very good.

Dined in some specialty restaurants. Used our concierge only to make initial reservations..cancelled and rebooked on our own at the desk in the lobby and never had a problem getting what we wanted.

BAD: only one Margarita clinic

Good: lots of fun

BAD: Martini clinic on the worst sea day- Rockin and rollin

Didn't repeat if ..doubt that many people showed up.

Pool area, bummer. Could not get chairs, anyplace.

Don't know if they changed the numbers of chairs or what the problem is but 2 good days ,weather wise, and we were not able to find anything. Luckily I had a really nice forward cabin with a huge deck.

BAD: really nice forward cabin with huge deck..so windy, rainy and nasty that didn't get to use the balcony too much.

Had a forward cabin last Feb., thought that I was able to get a lot more use out of it last year.

Will probably opt for aft cabin next time.

Butler..Istakhori...excellent, excellent

Special performer Eddie Holman ( Hey, there lonely girl) was wonderful. Very enjoyable.

Shows were ok.

Better were the shows that the cruise directors staffs hosts.

Liars club was hysterical and you've got to see the game show "Quest"

Really tired.

Good night.

Joannie

Joannie,

You are correct, embarkation is always bad in New York.

I've had one good embarkation experience there and three bad ones. Arriving early helps. If you are in the initial group going through Lattitudes check in, it is really great. Otherwise, you're part of the herd.

I actually dislike cruising out of New York because I find the Port Authority personnel to be obnoxious. They like demonstrating their power.

Tom

Joannie,

You are correct, embarkation is always bad in New York.

I've had one good embarkation experience there and three bad ones. Arriving early helps. If you are in the initial group going through Lattitudes check in, it is really great. Otherwise, you're part of the herd.

I actually dislike cruising out of New York because I find the Port Authority personnel to be obnoxious. They like demonstrating their power.

Tom

Not sure what you mean:confused:

Cruised 5 X's out of NY.

We always deal with NCL personnel...not a problem:)

This was our 4th time out of NY and the first for any kind of problem.

Love departing from NY and would do it again.

Maybe next time we'll bring those portable seats and a few snacks and drinks. hahahaha

We love it too! Thanks for the review:)!

Guest THE EDS

Totally agree with Joanniebop, arrived 1PM did not board until after 3. We stood in line 2 plus hours and were told being part of Latitudes did not apply until we entered the actual boarding area, then we would have a separate line.This was my third and last trip on NCL due to boarding in NYC. This is just my opinion no flaming please.

THE EDS

We are leaving out of New York on the 28th. I am getting excited!

How was the weather for your trip?

We had some real nasty rainy, rocky weather on the outbound and the return.

But don't let this worry you, be prepared.

Take bonine before you set sail and also when you know( prior to) the seas are going to be rough.

There is plenty to do onboard, inside, if you can't get outside.

Last Feb. the weather was much better, so you just never know.

BTW, I thought that the public rooms were quite chilly,( and I'd rather it be a little cold than too hot) so bring a few sweaters/jackets.

Eddie Holman is an excellent performer and truly enhanced our experience on the Dawn. He appeared twice, but his second appearance was part of the last night and he only did 2 songs.

I hope that for your sake that he will be on your sailing.

Have a great cruise!

But don't let this worry you, be prepared.

Take bonine before you set sail and also when you know( prior to) the seas are going to be rough.

There is plenty to do onboard, inside, if you can't get outside.

Last Feb. the weather was much better, so you just never know.

BTW, I thought that the public rooms were quite chilly,( and I'd rather it be a little cold than too hot) so bring a few sweaters/jackets.

Thank You!!!!!

We've never had a real problem with boarding in NYC. Our best embarkation was in Boston. Our worst embarkation was in Long Beach on a Carnival ship. San Pedro pier (NCL & RCCL) is across the harbor from Long Beach and yet embarkation there was fast an efficient.

I love it when we are allowed to board early. It spreads out all the masses. We are usually one of the first people to arrive at a pier. Our earliest boarding was probably in Honolulu. Most people didn't arrive until late in the day there. We were onboard before noon and the ship didn't sail until midnight.

Our best embarkation was in Baltimore. They have a terrific system for dropping off your bags right from your car.. you go park and then enter the dock/building which is really nice and bright and much newer looking than NY.

Very efficient..no wait..easy check-in.

Our best embarkation was in Baltimore. They have a terrific system for dropping off your bags right from your car.. you go park and then enter the dock/building which is really nice and bright and much newer looking than NY.

Very efficient..no wait..easy check-in.

We would welcome the Dawn to Baltimore with open arms for year 'round sailings. Miami needs another ship like I need another hole in my head. :D

NY PST can be a downright nightmare at times.

Nice swells on the way to the first (missed) port of call. :eek:

http://www.hypmedia.com/media/video/1-08-07-storm.wmv

I just wish the temps were warmer during the rougher weather. I never was a fan of cold showers. :D

Thanks for your review!

Best boarding - Miami and FLL.

Worst boarding - NY

We cruised out of NY on the Dream (in '92 I think) and swore we would never do so again - and we haven't! Worst service, people sitting on the floors in the terminal area; nasty, nasty, nasty!

Even living in the NE we would fly to FL rather than go out of NY. Now, we're lucky - we live in SoFla so we drive 20-30 minutes to the port and we're onboard.

Not trying to bash NY, just stating our experience.

KimDave..thanks so much for the memories ( of the rough seas) no matter, I'd much rather be there than here any day, under almost any conditions.

And yeah, why can't they bring some more ships to Baltimore? I'd think that the Florida market is saturated with ships. Would love it if NCL would position one of it's ships in Baltimore.

We hit a big one that really knocked things around (Darin said "That was a big whale!") after he almost fell on the stage! :eek:

Unfortunately I left the charger for my spy camera back at my home office so video with it was limited. I should've known better not to turn my back to the sea though. :mad:

Just before the party started from the starboard wing~

http://www.hypmedia.com/media/video/1-08-07-lat-party.wmv

Looks much tamer from up there even without alcohol. :D

Thanks for your review. We'll be on the Dawn on the 28th for the same itinerary. We were just wondering who your cruise director/assistant cruise director were.

Thanks!

The CD/ACD was Darin/Ingrid respectively.

KimDave, love, love your video and we did not attend the latitudes party.

Medici I thought I heard that the ACD Ingrid was leaving but not sure,maybe someone else from our cruise knows. Also I thought that Darin the CD was very personable, but I've heard from others that they didn't care for him..tries too hard and comes off a little phony..I liked him.

What is the earliest you can board on the Dawn out of New York if the ship sails at 4:00 and you are not a lattitudes member?

Sounds a little like a math question out of a textbook, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

KimDave

He certainly did have a great sense of humor.

Don't think I'd be to inclined to eat all the yummy , but greasy, food at the Blue Lagoon.

Thanks again for the memories.

Malyssa, boarding just all depends on when the ship arrives, if it's on time, and how quickly they can get the previous cruisers thru customs.

Generally, check-in starts around 11:00/11:30 and even though latitudes, and disabled people are checked in first..once that process begins, the wait is not too long.

KimDave

He certainly did have a great sense of humor.

Don't think I'd be to inclined to eat all the yummy , but greasy, food at the Blue Lagoon.

Thanks again for the memories.

Also the windchimes are quite LOUD in the Galleria when the seas kick up.

There's a window pane in the Venetian (aft, starboard side, lemme see if I can get the table number!) that has a broken seal and is about half full of water. It's quite effective as a makeshift inclinometer if one is so inclined! :D Oh the irony!

Don't even get me started on the embarkation at the NY terminal. Figuring the optimal time to arrive is as challenging as forecasting launch weather at KSC. Don't stress yourself out.:eek:

I was on that cruise too. First, the ship was late at dock so the disembarkation last for a very long time. i was maybe the 50th in line and we did not move for 2 hours when i decided it was enough and i got a taxi and visit New York :) . I suggest you to do this, put your luggage at the pier and go visit this wonderful city if you see the embarkation will last forever. Why hurry to be the first on the ship anyway :confused: . We leaved 2 hours later New York, at 6PM. It was supposed to be 4PM and we missed the Bahamas :( . I really enjoyed this cruise. Food was great, almost all show too.

Archived