Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

I cruised on the conquest in feb 06 and loved it. In jamaca i did the four wheeling and my husband did the canopying. We both had a great time but this time we are taking our kids. I am planning on the dunns fall/beach excursion do to the fact I don't want to take my kids all over jamaica unexcorted. when my friend and I went without our husbands it was really scarey. wont do that now. But I did learn how to pass a pee test....I am taking my kids on the halloween trip but am looking for anyone who has been on one in the past. I am looking for info on if the ship does a big thing for halloween. I am hoping they do cause I am bringing the kids on that date just for that reason. Does any one have info? thanks:D.

I am planning on the dunns fall/beach excursion do to the fact I don't want to take my kids all over jamaca.

If you are sailing the Conquest and planning to go to Dunn's River Falls from Montego Bay you will be taking your kids all over Jamaica. Dunn's River Falls is in Ocho Rios. You take a two hour bus ride to get there and a two hour ride back with a cheesy shopping stop along the way.

We had one meal in the supper club on Conquest a little less than a year ago and it was AWESOME. The only complaint I had is a family came in with 4 young children who were not well-mannered. I had 2 children in the same age range with me on the cruise and they were checked into Camp Carnival that evening. But I thought the food was great. You should check with Carnival about the Dom. because last year they were not allowing passengers to board with ANY beverages, including water and soft drinks. I don't know what the policy is now.

You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine. You can also bring your Dom P. No hard liquor though. You can bring your Dom P to the supper club but there will be a corkage fee. I would think that they would allow you to bring it early so it can be chilled.

I could be wrong.

Robb

Thank you to both. It's one bottle per person, correct? We were hoping to bring the Dom P and a bottle of red. When we did supper club on the Valor they charged the corkage fee, so I was anticipating that.

Any idea from anyone on the formal night attire in the Supper Club on formal night -- is it consistent with everything else?

I don't know if any of the cruise lines offer an excursion there or not. We always take a cab over there on our own. Their website is sunsetbeachresort.com . You can read a lot about the place online and you can contact them, also. We only had a problem one time. The cabs wouldn't take us over there because they said the resort was at capacity. I haven't heard of anyone else having this happen so I don't think it happens too often. I love the place and so do my kids. And we feel safe there. Nobody harasses you at all. Security is tight at the front gate. They do take your Sail and Sign card from you at the gate and hold it while you are in the resort. It was a little unnverving the first time they did this but I have also never heard of anyone having a problem with it being returned to them when they left.

I don't know if any of the cruise lines offer an excursion there or not. We always take a cab over there on our own. Their website is sunsetbeachresort.com . You can read a lot about the place online and you can contact them, also. We only had a problem one time. The cabs wouldn't take us over there because they said the resort was at capacity. I haven't heard of anyone else having this happen so I don't think it happens too often. I love the place and so do my kids. And we feel safe there. Nobody harasses you at all. Security is tight at the front gate. They do take your Sail and Sign card from you at the gate and hold it while you are in the resort. It was a little unnverving the first time they did this but I have also never heard of anyone having a problem with it being returned to them when they left.

Thank you for your reply. Do you remember how much it cost for the taxi and for the day at the resort? Did the Taxi charge per person? There are 17 of us. Did you prepay or just give a creditcard to save your spot at Sunset Beach? We are going during Spring Break so it could be at capacity, I guess.

It seems like the taxi was around $2 or $3 a person but they have big vans and you could probably get a bit of a break for that many people. The resort is maybe a mile from the pier. I would contact the resort about a group that large and make sure about capacity. You pay when you arrive at the resort and if I remember correctly, they do take credit cards. I think it was $40 for adults and $20 for children which included whatever you wanted to do, eat or drink. You can also go to the forum on here for Jamaica and there will be threads for Sunset Beach. See what other people are saying a about it. My son is 15 and usually doesn't even like shore excursions, but he does like the resort. They also have frozen drink machines at the cars and pool that are non-alcoholic for the kids. My kids load up on those things all day!

Hi,

I have a few questions for the conquest cruisers. We are on the March 9th cruise this year.

1. Which hotel do you recommend the night before the cruise...I like Harbor House but their website says they only take two night reservations.

2. Has anyone stayed in 8A #6335?

3. Do you think we have enough time to do the Native Way Rays Reef and rumpoint trip in Grand Cayman? I am nervous because the tour is 5 hours long. And if we get in port at 7am cruise time, will that be 8am Cayman time?

Thanks for the help.

Kim

3. Do you think we have enough time to do the Native Way Rays Reef and rumpoint trip in Grand Cayman? I am nervous because the tour is 5 hours long. And if we get in port at 7am cruise time, will that be 8am Cayman time?

Port time and ship time are the same on the Conquest

Cayman operates their tours on CST. Your watch setting will stay the same from the time you leave Galveston to the time you return as far as the ship and the tour operators in port are concerned. We've done reef, rays and Rumpoint twice while sailing on Conquest. You have enough time. Nativeways caters to cruise ship passengers and they bend over backwards to make sure you are back on time. Last time we went with them, a boat had broken down (a boat from a different tour company) and the Nativeways guys picked up their passengers and made special arrangements by radio for those passengers to get transportation back to their ship in time. I highly recommend them.

Hi...just noticed you are from Lake Jackson Tx...that is my hometown. I live in Lindale now but still go home once in awhile...small world huh!

Kim:)

Yeah, I just noticed that you have done some cruising out of Galveston. I grew up in Lake Jackson. If you want, e-mail me at Lindslea@ aol.com. You may have gone to school with me or my sister.

When I called Carnival they said we could bring a "reasonable" amount of wine and soda on board with us. For us that's one bottle of wine per day. On our last cruise we had 10 people in our party, that was a LOT of wine.

Hubby and I brought our standard 7 bottles, everyone else brought 2-3 per couple. We had no problem bringing it on. We use the wine tubes you can get at World Market or Pier One or other such stores to carry our wine and glasses. We uncork our own in out stateroom and carry full glasses to dinner to avoid the $10/bottle corking charge. We've done this on several ships and have never had a problem. Of course, we pack our wine in our luggage among our clothes, snorkel gear, and etc, so it just goes with everything else, we've never tried to carry on a case of just wine. Also, since you can take your own luggage on board now, that might make it even easier. We've never tried to take hard liquor onboard, and I don't drink soda, so we haven't done that either. My son took a 12 pack of Coke last cruise. Happy Cruising Everyone!

Do you think we have enough time to do the Native Way Rays Reef and rumpoint trip in Grand Cayman? I am nervous because the tour is 5 hours long. And if we get in port at 7am cruise time, will that be 8am Cayman time?

Thanks for the help.

Kim

We are also sailing the Conquest 3/9 and are booked for Nativeways Rays, Reef & Rum Point. We took this same tour last year and I had the same concern about timing. Our tour started about 8:15 a.m. last year and will be at 8:30 a.m. CST this year, so I am hoping we will have a little more breathing room getting an early enough tender to meet the tour. Last year we waited about 45 minutes for a tender and were afraid we would miss the tour, so go get your tender tickets as early as possible. Keep in mind this is the first week of DST, so it will feel extra early! While Cayman is EST, they do not observe DST, so ship time will be the same. We got back to port with a little time for shopping before the 3 p.m. "last tender." Actually, the tender line was so long I think they were still tendering passengers until 3:45 p.m. You'll love the trip!