Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

We are sailing the Conquest on May 20th and plan to rent a 2 jeeps, get a map and hit the hot spots on our own. The cost to rent a jeep is only $45 for 9 hrs and the island is less than 30 miles around. 7 people for $90 plus entrance fees compared to carnivals $$$$$, can't beat it!!:p

1gramma,

Make sure you get full coverage with ZERO deductable when you rent the vehicle. I had a taxi slam into the drivers door of my rental car while making a left turn this past Dec. We would have been out a lot of money if not for taking out the insurance. In Mexico, both parties of an accident go to the police station. Statements are taken, a hearing is held, and ALL damages and fines MUST be paid before you can leave the police station. It took us almost 2 1/2 hours and came real close to missing the ship. We were on the last tender back.

A fellow passenger in front of us at the police station had a car cut him off, he hit the curb on the right side breaking it. He then lost control, got the jeep up on two wheels and spun out to the left. When the jeep came down it busted the tire/rim and then hit the curb on the other side of the road. The police fined him $100 for the curbs, made him pay $350 for the tire/rim and then fined him for not maintaining control of his vehicle. He and his parents were scrambling trying to come up with cash and credit cards to pay for it.

Dave

I have the Conquest booked for April 6, 2008. Airfare from Phoenix is pretty cheap but after reading about the distance between the airport and port, we're wondering if it wouldn't be more reasonble to just cruise out of Florida.

Can someone please give me some kind of approximate breakdown on what costs I'm looking at as far as transfers & hotels go? I need to decide if I'm going to keep this cruise or change it to one out of Florida instead. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks! :)

Which airport are you looking at flying into? Hobby (HOU) is much closer to Galveston than Geo. Bush Intl. (IAH) I don't have personal experience with the cost of transfers from either airport, but I have read on these boards of one way car rentals from Hobby for less than $20.

Which airport are you looking at flying into? Hobby (HOU) is much closer to Galveston than Geo. Bush Intl. (IAH) I don't have personal experience with the cost of transfers from either airport, but I have read on these boards of one way car rentals from Hobby for less than $20.

We don't have a preference as to which airport, but we'll probably fly into Hobby. Do you know if there's a dropoff for the car at the port? I'll run a search as well, so if you don't know that answer that's ok. Thank you for your help.

KcFanNindy, actually we're well over a year away from that particular cruise so there would be no penalties for cancelling at this point. As my post stated, we wouldn't be sailing until April of 2008. :)

As for saying this should have been 'well planned out before booking our cruise'......it was. We weighed the costs of airfare and transportation before booking. We've cruised out of Miami 3 times and the cost from the airport to the port is under $30 with tip. From what I'm reading on the boards, the cost from the airport to the Galveston port can run us upwards of $70.

I've been watching airfare to both locations (Texas and Florida) and it appears as though the price is comparable to fly to both at this time. When we booked, airfare to Texas was cheaper. So, as you can see we did 'plan it out' when we booked.

If anyone has an answer for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm not new to cruising, so I don't really need to be given a lecture. I'm just looking for some advice as to the cost of transportation between airport and port.

:D Thanks!

We're going on the Conquest on April 1st. You're right about the transportation. It's pretty spendy to get from either airport to Galveston. We have a family of 4 to transport and so far I think that we're going with a taxi which from what I read will run around $75 - 85. You can get limos for over a $100 each way, town cars for just under a $100. We've cruised out of Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale and never paid that much for transportation to the pier. Of course we always try to find a hotel that isn't too far from the pier (cheap taxi ride) and also has free transportation from the airport to the hotel. I love the Conquest, but I'm going to have to wait and see how it plays out before I decide to go back to Florida sailings. Hope that helps. :o

We don't have a preference as to which airport, but we'll probably fly into Hobby. Do you know if there's a dropoff for the car at the port? I'll run a search as well, so if you don't know that answer that's ok. Thank you for your help.

I forgot to address the rental car issue in my last post. I'm not sure where the $20 rental came from, but I've searched high and low and never came across that. From what I found there are only 2 rental companies that offer one way rentals to Galveston and they are Hertz and Enterprise. The drop offs aren't at the cruise terminal but I've read that they offer rides to the pier after you drop off. Unfortunately they charge a huge fee to do the one way rental. I couldn't get a quote for under $85.00 and then you have to pay for gas as well.

KcFanNindy, actually we're well over a year away from that particular cruise so there would be no penalties for cancelling at this point. As my post stated, we wouldn't be sailing until April of 2008. :)

As for saying this should have been 'well planned out before booking our cruise'......it was. We weighed the costs of airfare and transportation before booking. We've cruised out of Miami 3 times and the cost from the airport to the port is under $30 with tip. From what I'm reading on the boards, the cost from the airport to the Galveston port can run us upwards of $70.

I've been watching airfare to both locations (Texas and Florida) and it appears as though the price is comparable to fly to both at this time. When we booked, airfare to Texas was cheaper. So, as you can see we did 'plan it out' when we booked.

If anyone has an answer for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm not new to cruising, so I don't really need to be given a lecture. I'm just looking for some advice as to the cost of transportation between airport and port.

:D Thanks!

i appoligize i didnt realize that your sail date was that far away. If that is the case then you have way to way the pro cons, on everything!

Sorry if you felt that i was trying to lecture you....i had orginally thought you sail date was tight around the corner.....April 07....anyway good luck on your choices...and i will keep my mouth shut from hear on out.....so i dont upset someone!

i appoligize i didnt realize that your sail date was that far away. If that is the case then you have way to way the pro cons, on everything!

Sorry if you felt that i was trying to lecture you....i had orginally thought you sail date was tight around the corner.....April 07....anyway good luck on your choices...and i will keep my mouth shut from hear on out.....so i dont upset someone!

KcFanNindy, you have been so helpful to sooooo many of us that I would just ignore Gumballz! :p I'm sure that I'm not alone out there!:)

Thanks for the love....I dont claim to know everything....but what i do know i will try and pass on for the ones who dont know! Hell i am still learning things just like everyone else....well anyway I will keep the information flowing....It would be hard to keep my mouth shut!

Thanks for the love....I dont claim to know everything....but what i do know i will try and pass on for the ones who dont know! Hell i am still learning things just like everyone else....well anyway I will keep the information flowing....It would be hard to keep my mouth shut!

Satellite view of Galveston, Texas

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=txgal

Satellite view of Grand Caymen Islands

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=cigrand

Satellite view of Montego Bay, Jamaica

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=jammb

Satellite view of Cozumel, Mexico

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=mxcoz

Cruise Tip Calculator

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

KcFanNindy, you have been so helpful to sooooo many of us that I would just ignore Gumballz! :p I'm sure that I'm not alone out there!:)

Actually, you might be.....

Gumballz: Maybe some of these will help you. I think transportation is high from both of our airports here in Houston to the cruise terminal. Its really not that far from Hobby so it would be better from there and a lot less traffic. With Bush Inter. you have to come all the way across Houston, Hobby is already on the south side and out of the heavy traffic areas for the most part. Good luck and I hope you find a great deal :)

http://www.cmpremierlimoservice.com/

www.supershuttle.com.

Clear Lake Shuttle Bus, Inc.

(281) 334-3873

AET Transportation Services – Tamara Barnes

(866) 376-TOURS

Super Shuttle

800-Blue-Van

Airport Shuttle America

(281) 530-4000

Z Limousines and Town Cars

(832) 607-8495

Mack’s Town Cars

(281) 332-4950

Towne Car – Houston

(713) 236-8877

I have a question I am on the veranda deck aft balcony cabin I was wondering how much can the people on the lido deck see on to my balcony, while looking out at the aft windows?

The aft balconies are double the depth of the standard balconies. If you are standing at the railing you will be in full view of everyone both on the Lido or Panorama decks as well as those in other aft balconies. The half of the balcony nearest the cabin is completely private.

I have a question I am on the veranda deck aft balcony cabin I was wondering how much can the people on the lido deck see on to my balcony, while looking out at the aft windows?

The aft balconies are double the depth of the standard balconies. If you are standing at the railing you will be in full view of everyone both on the Lido or Panorama decks as well as those in other aft balconies. The half of the balcony nearest the cabin is completely private.

yst is right. Although rarely, anyone looking from Lido. Usually there are people setting at those tables on Lido and it makes it hard for people to stand between the tables and the back glass. I just wave if I see someone. The glass also acts as a barrier as well, not like they are right on top of you. I didn't think Panorama comes into play on aft, but I'll check next trip.

thoneycu, thank you for the links! I appreciate that!

Your welcome :)

Your pics are great! You really did a great job of taking informative pics, and I LOVE the ones of Key West. Can't wait to go there some day and your pics just made it worse! I like pics of the scenery and the water rather than a lot of pics of people you don't know:)

My daughter's fiance loves burgers, prime rib and beef steaks (no sauces). He's not a fancy food type of guy. Any suggestions? I heard there is a type of steak that one can order in the dining room any night. Is this true on the Conquest? Does the buffet offer any of the dishes that are served in the dining room each night?

Also, do they have any country music venues on this ship? They both like alot of different music, but they also love to dance to county/western music.

Noticed "Megan & Mike's Honeymoon". Are ya'll on the September 16th cruise? We are getting married the 15th and that is our Honeymoon cruise too!

Satellite view of Galveston, Texas

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=txgal

Satellite view of Grand Caymen Islands

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=cigrand

Satellite view of Montego Bay, Jamaica

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=jammb

Satellite view of Cozumel, Mexico

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=mxcoz

Cruise Tip Calculator

Thanks for posting those links. Very interesting. I really enjoyed the links for the water temp & wave heights also. Will really be looking at those the closer our trip gets. Once again you have given us something creative and fun to fill our days during the countdown.:)