Sea Lice GT or HMC

Hogladyrider

Anyone know if there is ever a threat of sea lice in GT or HMC? I sail on Sat 1/20. I am deathly allergic and have been hospitalized twice from sea lice encounters when diving in the Florida Keys. I can't afford to take a chance.

I realize any reputable dive excusion should tell you but they often don't.

In that part of the world, Bahamas being off the coast of Florida, if my memory serves me correct, sea lice "season" is not until late spring- end of April, May, June...did you dive in the Keys in January or another time of the year?

http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps/surfmap.cfm?id=44

"By April, South Florida surfers begin traveling north due to another, itchier reason: sea lice. These microscopic organisms burrow into the skin (like chiggers) and die. Marine biologists maintain that larval jellyfish are the culprits. As the organisms decompose, they excrete an itchy, acidic compound. The organisms are caught in hair-covered bodily regions and/or where boardshorts or rashguards have trapped them against the skin. The unfortunate host/surfer will suffer three to four days until the large, red welts subside. Unfortunately, while the north-northeast swell season is nearing its close by May, the sea lice epidemic persists into July."

I've always been told the worst time of year in the Caribbean is from Mother's Day to Father's Day - in other words May & June. However, they seem to have a severe liking for me, and I have received bites at other times of the year, even once diving in Coz in the winter. Best suggestion - make sure you're wearing a skin or a full wetsuit. Also using Sea Safe on any exposed skin helps .... you can find it at Drugstore.com, or other websites.

You have no idea how thrilled I am to have received responses to my request. Most people look at you like you have three eyes when you ask about sea lice!

It was always the end of May in the Keys when I sustained my sea lice encounters and it didn't matter skin or no skin!

We just returned this morning from our cruise and we snorkeled in GT no problems, water temp 78, a bit chilly for us FLoridians but it was definitely "doable" and enjoyable.

We had another great Carnival cruise, will post a review and pics sometime before the end of the weekend.

No worries on the replies. Thats what were here for. I would go to your local dive shop and try on some real light suits 1.5 to 2.5 suits along with gloves and booties leave no skin exposed. There are other things to worry about other than sea lice (like fire coral). I was exposed to some of this in the Bahamas. There was some juvenile coral growing along a permanent mooring line. I ended up with the worst blisters down the back of my forearm and tricep area. Everywhere my skin was exposed that rubbed against the mooring line. After that I went to a full suit and gloves. You might even want to look into a light hood since you have an allergy. Then you own your stuff and you can dive or snorkel and relax and enjoy yourself. It's also nice donning your own suit, It adds a certain comfort level. Happy bubbles.:cool:

Archived