Zip Line Excursion & Cameras???

WiscCruiser

My wife and I are going on a Zip Line excursion in Costa Rica while on an upcoming Coral Princess cruise. I would certainly like to document the event to show others our adventure when we return, but I can't imagine operating a camera or even bringing it along on an active excursion like this.

What have others done? Should I bring my camera? Will I be able to take some pictures while on the excursion?

My last time I was in St. Maarten I did the zip line excursion and they said no cameras and they confiscated them, telling you you can't use them and zipline at the same time. However, that is bologna. They just wanted to sell the pictures that they take for $20 each.

If you have a SMALL point and shoot (and it can be concealed in your pocket) then go ahead. Don't be obvious and use it during the first few zips. Wait until the middle or end of the excursion when you are comfortable using the zips and then take pictures of your spouse as they are zipping, and then have them take pictures of you as you zip. Don't try to take a picture while you are using the zip because that is probably not safe.

Again, if you REALLY want to get pictures, and have a small camera and have discretion, then you can do it, otherwise, realize that you will need to bring some cash to buy the picture that they take.

We ziplined in Costa Rica at La Roca Bruja. They were fine with cameras. We brought small point and shoots and put them in our fanny packs (not particularly attractive, but functional) with our money, passports, etc... It took us several zips to get the hang of it, but then once we were comfortable, we took turns taking pictures of the scenery and each other while we were on the platforms waiting for our next zip. We got some amazing pictures, but still bought a couple from them because they had better 'positioning' in the trees to take photos of us. It was the most amazing thing I've ever done on a vacation and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Have a great time and remember to look DOWN - it's amazing!

Archived