Leave balcony door open?

readytolose

Is is possible to leave the balcony door open at night while you are sleeping. I think it would be really neat to be able to hear the water and smell the ocean while sleeping, but I'm not sure if the door is even capable of being left open. Also, how cold would it get? We are doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise Nov. 24.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

I often leave the balcony door open at night. If it gets too cool, I close it partly or completely depending on the tempature. The ship will recommend that you don't as it does impact their ability to control the temp for you. I usually turn the thermastat off if necessary. You'll love the sound of the waves against the ship, very peaceful!

Where there's a will there's a way. :D

We haven't done a balcony on RCCL so I'm not sure how the doors are set there. On NCL Star, our balcony was a sliding door that could be locked open either fully or partially. We never left it open at night since it was Alaska in September:eek:

Carnival's swing open and with a chair or bungee cord can be kept open. There is a note posted to not prop the door open and again, we never felt the need to have it open the entire evening.

Charlie

RCCL ships have the sliding doors that can be locked to the open position. They do recommend that you don't leave them open, but if you do be prepared as it makes it harder for the air conditioning to work. On one of my last cruises, we had a leak in our room and the first question out of their mouths was "Did we leave the balcony door open?" because if you leave it open for long enough the a/c will start to drip condensation.

RCCL ships have the sliding doors that can be locked to the open position. They do recommend that you don't leave them open, but if you do be prepared as it makes it harder for the air conditioning to work. On one of my last cruises, we had a leak in our room and the first question out of their mouths was "Did we leave the balcony door open?" because if you leave it open for long enough the a/c will start to drip condensation.

Well, actually not all the ships have sliding doors. We had a regular swing out door on the Serenade.:) We keep it tied open with the robe belt.

The last 3 cruises that we had balcony cabins, we've left the doors open all night. Most people probably wouldn't have, but I like to sleep in a cold room. One was in Alaska and it actually wasn't cold at all, quite balmy. Another was a repo cruise up to Vancouver last May and a bit cool, but worth it to hear the ocean. Just this past December, we left our door open in the Mexican Riviera, it was never hot enough during the day for air conditioning, so nothing was affected there. We even had a cricket on the balcony, it was kind of cool.

We always sleep with the balcony door open at night. I also like to hear the sounds of the water on the ship. On all the RCCL ships we've been on (including Radiance) we've never had a problem with the door staying open on it's own.

I see no one mentioned or it seems cares about the fact that leaving the balcony door open, even if you turn off YOUR AC affects the AC for the entire ship, which means it does not function as well and SO all the Inside passengers are affected by your leaving your balcony door open.

There are signs in the cabin to tell you NOT to do this but people clearly do.

But then looking at these boards it is clear that no one cares about their fellow passengers anyway.

Thank you for all the replies. I look forward to laying in bed listening to the waves. I will make sure to shut the air conditioning off though!

You don't have the ability to actually turn it off, at least not on the ships I've been on. You can turn the thermostat up but that is it.

Sorry I don't remember which cabin we had, but I know it was a cat. D2. :)

If you remember it, post it as that is NOT normal for any RCCL ship. Only a few of the corner afts on the Voyager class ships and Freedom class ships do not have sliding doors. I did not know of any staterooms on the Radiance class that didn't have sliding doors.

I see no one mentioned or it seems cares about the fact that leaving the balcony door open, even if you turn off YOUR AC affects the AC for the entire ship, which means it does not function as well and SO all the Inside passengers are affected by your leaving your balcony door open.

But then looking at these boards it is clear that no one cares about their fellow passengers anyway.

Please explain how having your balcony door open affects the a/c for the entire ship?

"But then looking at these boards it is clear that no one cares about their fellow passengers anyway."

What brought this comment on?

Some clarification is in order here, because it seems that CC posters, for the most part, are positive, pleasant and helpful to OPs.

It's unbelievable that, no matter what the topic is, someone will always come on with a snippy comment.....too bad as it makes these boards not as much fun as others out there.....

It's unbelievable that, no matter what the topic is, someone will always come on with a snippy comment.....too bad as it makes these boards not as much fun as others out there.....

Funny thing is...on my last few cruises I noticed that the doors from the pool area that enter near the deli or chinese food were left WIDE open for days at sea.

Seems like they are not to worried about the AC.

Someone last year posted about no air for other passengers if one person leaves the balcony door opened. I asked the officer in charge on my CB cruise last year and he said no it does not. Each room is individually controlled.

I heard that on Princess ships they are now telling passengers to leave the door closed when sleeping. After the Star fire, it was determined that open balcony doors contributed to the rapid spread of the fire and lack of containment within designated fire door sections. (Whether passengers comply with that directive is an entirely separate discussion.)

Archived