Leave balcony door open?

readytolose

I would leave the balcony door open at night, but there's something that actually makes me afraid to do that.

I'm a sleepwalker. Forget the iconic sleepwalker that we see in the media, walking slowly with their eyes closed and their arms outstretched; That's not what it's really like. Real sleepwalkers get up and actually do things while they are sleeping, almost as if they were awake. Often, the things we do don't make much sense.

Very weird and sometimes dangerous things can happen. Some of the more memorable things...

1) I've thrown my wife off the bed after giving her a good shake, to which she woke up out of a dead sleep and screamed a horror movie scream. I woke up wondering what was wrong while trying to comfort her.

2) I've lifted the mattress up in an attempt to flip it over (with my wife on it, of course) "trying to capture a burning snake that slithered underneath."

I didn't wake up at all on this one but was told about it by my wife (as I am for most of these night-time escapades). How did she know "why" I tried to flip the mattress and knock her off? She asked me right afterwards, but I don't remember a lick of it.

(side note: my wife is REAL patient)

3) In college, I once woke up in stairwell on the other side of the dorm 2 1/2 floors below my own... in nothing but my underwear.

There have been other "funny" ones, but I've forgotten most of them.

So yeah, I guess I'm afraid of sleepwalking off the balcony in my sleep.

Someone last year posted about no air for other passengers if one person leaves the balcony door opened. I asked the officer in charge on my CB cruise last year and he said no it does not. Each room is individually controlled.

Individually controlled yes, but tax the whole system it does. And as noted there is also the fire situation, ever have your balcony door open and have the steward or someone open your cabin door? what happens? like a hurricane sucking the air out the balcony, would do the same with smoke and flames suck them through the halls.

But of course I am just a "snippy" person so I must be wrong.

Oh, to MikeyP,

my sons suffer from some degree of that, on more normal I found drinking a glass of toilet paper and water one evening and the other suffers from Night Terrors, which is HORRIBLE.

Individually controlled yes, but tax the whole system it does. And as noted there is also the fire situation, ever have your balcony door open and have the steward or someone open your cabin door? what happens? like a hurricane sucking the air out the balcony, would do the same with smoke and flames suck them through the halls.

But of course I am just a "snippy" person so I must be wrong.

Oh, to MikeyP,

my sons suffer from some degree of that, on more normal I found drinking a glass of toilet paper and water one evening and the other suffers from Night Terrors, which is HORRIBLE.

Unfortunately I think a lot of sleepwalkers suffer from night terrors, sorry to hear that your son is one of them. I'm fortunate enough to not be in this category.

How old are your sons? From what I understand it may be more common in children and teenagers that adults... In other words, if they're not adults yet then there is hope that they may grow out of it. Good luck.

3) In college, I once woke up in stairwell on the other side of the dorm 2 1/2 floors below my own... in nothing but my underwear.

Oh heck, I've done that. Just never had a good excuse.

Just kidding, I reconize that your condition is serious.

Just a note to all you terrible, terrible people out there like me - If you want your a/c to continue to run with the door open, bring a magnet and a little bit of tape and tape the magnet over the sensor on the door frame. The door has the magnet and the frame has the sensor, so by tripping the sensor with your magnet your a/c will remain on! I know i'm gonna burn in hell for that one.

Just a note to all you terrible, terrible people out there like me - If you want your a/c to continue to run with the door open, bring a magnet and a little bit of tape and tape the magnet over the sensor on the door frame. The door has the magnet and the frame has the sensor, so by tripping the sensor with your magnet your a/c will remain on! I know i'm gonna burn in hell for that one.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You know its funny - When I joined these boards 7 years ago we could talk about stuff like this without the Politically Correct Police denouncing us. Its something how things have changed in such a short period of time. These boards, much like our nation in general, seem to have a group of people that feel they must orate their opinion to the masses either to make themselves feel that they are better or superior because they always do what THEY consider is the right thing, or to degrade others and shame them for doing what the P.C. Police feel is wrong.

By the way popsec, I did not mean you. I know you were posting in jest.

My younger sister was a sleep walker. We shared a bed on the second floor of our old farm house. As the older sister it was up to me to watch her at night when she did her wanderings. I can attest to the fact that she looked in the face to be perfectly awake but her mind was no where into the awake position.

I remember following her down the stairs during one of her sleep walking adventures, yelling at her all the time to stop and wake up. She proceeded to go to the front door of our house and walk outside while I tried to wake her up to reality.

Last straw was the time she decided to sit down in a full bucket of eggs on the farm. She kept telling me she was on the toilet and I kept telling her she was not. Three dozen broken eggs later my parents finally decided my sister needed closer observation and spent the next year or so in their bedroom, not mine. I was about 11 at the time. My sister was 5.

Don't know what would have happend to her if we had been on a cruise ship with a balcony door open. I was willing to go a long way to protect her, but there are limits.;)

Dianne

last sept 17th to sept 24th, to alaska on the NCL star. sliding door was open all 7 nights till about 3am. by then it was too cold. the sounds were great, light breeze blowing in. the one night it was solid fog and the fog horn, well, the door got closed a little early that night.

Well, I can't believe that nobody is concern about wasting energy! well, actually I can :rolleyes:

That would be my concern. I think it is fine to leave the balcony door open as long as you adjust the thermostat in your cabin so the air-con turns off.

I thought we were supposed to be getting more environmentally aware :confused:

Flamomo .(I guess No One Mentioned) Comments about leaving the Balcony door open affects the A/C for the whole ship, is because They probably book an inside Cabin.I'd say leaving the Balcony door open saves the Ships A/C consumption as most passengers turn it down to low so it rarely kicks in in my experience.Also Whats the Balcony door used mostly for ? Fresh Air off course.Isn't that why When you once book one you never book an inside or window Again ?

I see no one mentioned or it seems cares about the fact that leaving the balcony door open, even if you turn off YOUR AC affects the AC for the entire ship, which means it does not function as well and SO all the Inside passengers are affected by your leaving your balcony door open.

Yes, please do tell.....if I turn off the AC in my room and leave my balcony door closed it will have an adverse effect on the whole ship? Oh my....I had no idea....please explain how this could happen on these multi million dollar state of the art cruise ships. :rolleyes:

The one thing that keeps me from leaving my balcony door open at all times is that every once in a while somebody comes on here and posts about the stupid idiot neighbor who thought it would be fun to climb from balcony to balcony.

this is getting just silly - yes I agree that balcony hopping is probably the greatest threat! For heavens sakes! :o leaving a door open at night is NOT going to affect a cruise ship's air conditioning system..... let's get REAL.

I can't imagine being in a balcony cabin and leaving the door shut. I'm much rather have the nice breeze blowing through the cabin than terrible air conditioning. Can't stand it. There's nothing better than listening to the waves as you're rocked to sleep. The only probably I had with this last time was very noisy neighbors.

No...........Leaving your balcony door open will not significantly affect the ships air conditioning system. However...as the warm humid air enters your room, it will rise and enter the ceiling, allowing this air to move over adjacent cabins. If those cabins have the air on, this moisture will condense and "RAIN"

into these cabins. Friends on a previous cruise had their bed, carpeting and some of their personal belongings ruined due to this. That is why the cruise lines ask that you NOT leave your balcony door open. Please follow cruise ship rules, they are not arbitrary but are there for a good reason. You may ruin someone elses cruise just because you are inconsiderate!!

I can't imagine being in a balcony cabin and leaving the door shut. I'm much rather have the nice breeze blowing through the cabin than terrible air conditioning. Can't stand it. There's nothing better than listening to the waves as you're rocked to sleep. The only probably I had with this last time was very noisy neighbors.

Perhaps your neighbors were noisy because it was ``raining'' in their cabin.:rolleyes:

Dianne

No...........Leaving your balcony door open will not significantly affect the ships air conditioning system. However...as the warm humid air enters your room, it will rise and enter the ceiling, allowing this air to move over adjacent cabins. If those cabins have the air on, this moisture will condense and "RAIN"

into these cabins. Friends on a previous cruise had their bed, carpeting and some of their personal belongings ruined due to this. That is why the cruise lines ask that you NOT leave your balcony door open. Please follow cruise ship rules, they are not arbitrary but are there for a good reason. You may ruin someone elses cruise just because you are inconsiderate!!

:eek: Give me a break....I highly doubt that tale.

For those that question my story I would be happy to send pictures as well as the written apology from the ship. Instead of doubting my story I would suggest that you ask the room steward or the maintenance crew on your next cruise........then I suspect you will doubt their story as well!!

:eek: Give me a break....I highly doubt that tale.

If this were the case I would think that you would hear a lot more of this. I have had neighbors that perpetually left open their balcony doors and it did not rain in my cabin.

Perhaps the cruise line can design a ship that allows the doors to be open??? Does not seem like it would be that difficult.

Balcony door open. I don’t think so.

On a Ren cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon, two ladys told me the story of waking up in the middle of the night and seeing a man walking past the foot of their bed. His wife had locked him out of the room on the his veranda He climbed over the railing to the next cabin’s veranda, came through their room and was gone out their door before they could do anything.

Of course he was probably intoxicated. That’s why his wife locked him out. He could have easily fallen overboard like some of the others.

If you like the outside weather and seas rolling, sleep on the veranda or on deck. You probably are safer on deck than on your veranda with security keeping an eye on you if you are topside on deck.

Archived