Eastern Carribbean or Western? Which is more rough at sea??

BarbMatt

We have done both, the western was rougher, but that is very subjective, I did not think it was rough! I also think it depends on the time of the year. We did them both in March. The Eastern Carribean was like glass both times. The western, we knew we were on a cruise. But not really rough! I am a really good sailor, so I think it depends on your tolerance. I have only been sea-sick once in 14 cruises. We loved our cruise from Galvaston, and our 2 from Florida. I wish you a great cruise which ever you choose. desert daisy

The Eastern Caribbean has a greater possibility for having rougher seas simply because it is open to the Atlantic. We have been on three Western Cruises and all have been calm when no major hurricanes are brewing within hundreds of miles of us. It all comes down to the weather during the time of your cruise.

I agree with the others. The potential for rougher seas is the Eastern Caribbean because you are in the Atlantic but as always, it depends on the weather and sea conditions. Also, the type of ship matters -- the Grand-class ships don't ride the waves as well as smaller ships due to their hull design. They're large, but they're very flat-bottomed so they tend to roll more, even with stabilizers.

I agree with most of the other posters. You can experience amazingly calm seas in both directions just as well as rough seas.

On the western itinerary you are most likely to experience rough seas in one of four areas; leaving the NE Providence Channel (the area where the ship passes eastward through the Bahamas before turning south toward Princess Cay), passing through the Windward Passage (the area between Cuba and Hispaniola), the run from Jamaica to Grand Cayman, and the area around the Western tip of Cuba. In all my western voyages, the area from Jamaica to Grand Cayman has been where we experienced the roughest seas (at least 50% of the time).

On the Eastern itinerary, it is usually one of two places; the NE Providence Channel, and the run from St. Thomas to Princess Cays. This particular area tends to be rougher since the route is not hidden in the lee of the Southern Bahamas and Turks & Caicos like it is on the way south to the Caribbean. As a result, you are dealing with the open Atlantic.

All of the above is driven by the time of the year you cruise. Our last cruises in late March/early April have been mirror flat calm. Bottom line...you never know what the sea conditions will be, but you can be assured the Captain will do all he can to avoid trouble spots.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived