What do you think is the best ship?

moesyk4

I am hoping to cruise again by the end of this year and aren't as particular on destinations (just not Europe) but would like a cruise ship that stops at a lot of ports of call (not too many sea days), is nice for couples without children (enforces no kids areas), has reasonably priced balconies, doesn't have a lot of pricey add ons, and is generally a beautiful ship. Any ideas?

I am hoping to cruise again by the end of this year and aren't as particular on destinations (just not Europe) but would like a cruise ship that stops at a lot of ports of call (not too many sea days), is nice for couples without children (enforces no kids areas), has reasonably priced balconies, doesn't have a lot of pricey add ons, and is generally a beautiful ship. Any ideas?

Norwegian Cruise Line in Hawaii fits the bill of "lots of ports of call". There are no sea days on these cruises. Ships Pride of Aloha (oldest), Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii (newest). We have cruised on all three of them and would cruise on them again. There are people who dislike NCL a lot but then there are cruisers who also dislike a particular cruise line for what ever reason is valid for them. We have been on 5 seperate cruise lines and would go back to any of them. NCL pricing has been good on the Hawaii cruises when you stay away from the standard high priced periods.

RCCL's Serenade of the Seas out of San Juan. The ship is absolutely gorgeous with tons of glass throughout the ship, nice pleasing colors, and beautiful artwork. The itinerary is 5 ports of call and 1 sea day - great itinerary. It doesn't attract that many kids, and RCCL has an adults only solarium that they enforce plus the 2 adults only specialty restaurants, plus the adults only late night games, plus the adults only nightclub.

RCCL's Serenade of the Seas out of San Juan. The ship is absolutely gorgeous with tons of glass throughout the ship, nice pleasing colors, and beautiful artwork. The itinerary is 5 ports of call and 1 sea day - great itinerary. It doesn't attract that many kids, and RCCL has an adults only solarium that they enforce plus the 2 adults only specialty restaurants, plus the adults only late night games, plus the adults only nightclub.

Ditto. :D

You can't go wrong with the Century (Celebrity). It's a beautiful ship, recently refurbished, intimate, great food, excellent service, wonderful decor, and reasonably priced (IMHO).

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any cruise ship that stops at a lot of places.

However to avoid kids just don't cruise around President's Day, Spring Break or May to September............

Then it is just researching the cruise ship, line and itinerary you want.

Good luck

Queen Mary may be a great choice, but it is also quite a bit more pricey than the mass marketed lines: The best line for port intensive cruisers is NCL, followed by RCI. The problem with both of these is kids. Because they are ships with more activities they also draw families. Of course if you cruise early Dec you will have very few little ones as this is the school season for most. The longer the cruise the fewer children will be cruising.

someone suggested Century: it is a recently refurbished ship, priced well with lots of balconies; reviews are very mixed. Of course reviews are mixed on every single ship for that matter.

I don't know your ages but another thought is HAL. Some of their ships are port intensive, the prices can be a little higher than NCL or RCI but the ships are nice and at this time, do not attract as many families. In fact even though HAL isn't my favorite line they are the class of the mass marketed brands. Biggest problem, for us, on HAL is the lack of activities. Even though we did have enough ports considering the type of cruise, the sea days were a little dull and the overall age breakdown older than we would like. I do think their ships that do just the Caribbean have a younger, more energetic group of cruisers.

Hope this helps some, at least,

Nita

Hi, Nita....We're paying $300 less for an 11-day HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean in December with 6 ports in a Cat. SY than our 9-day RCI Grandeur Western Caribbean in November with 4 ports in a Cat. JS aft.

The Noordam just turned a year old and the Grandeur (never again, even though the port is 10 minutes away) is 10+ years old.

IMHO, RCI's rates have been high. We've tried a new Carnival ship and an old RCI ship and neither were for us. Hoping HAL does it. ;)

p.s. OP's profile has an age of 24...not sure HAL would be a good fit.

I don't know your ages but another thought is HAL. Some of their ships are port intensive, the prices can be a little higher than NCL or RCI.......Nita

Archived