Snorkeling advice for Grand Cayman...

Choozin Croozin

Have not had any luck with the search function so hopefully someone can help me. We know we want to snorkel in Grand Cayman. I guess my first choice would be off a boat because I like that reassurance of knowing that a boat is there if needed. We have already been to Stingray City, loved it, but don't care to repeat it. Have sent an email to Ocean Frontiers but have not heard back from them yet. (I think they do just snorkeling excursions that don't go to SRC).

My question, what would you say is the best place to snorkel on the island, if you could go anywhere? Eden's Rock, Cemetary Reef, Queens Monument,off of Sunset House, Smith Cove, or anywhere else? Please help, I cannot make up my mind. By the way, we are in port from 7 am - 6 pm and are the only ship in port.

Have not had any luck with the search function so hopefully someone can help me. We know we want to snorkel in Grand Cayman. I guess my first choice would be off a boat because I like that reassurance of knowing that a boat is there if needed. We have already been to Stingray City' date=' loved it, but don't care to repeat it. Have sent an email to Ocean Frontiers but have not heard back from them yet. (I think they do just snorkeling excursions that don't go to SRC).

My question, what would you say is the best place to snorkel on the island, if you could go anywhere? Eden's Rock, Cemetary Reef, Queens Monument,off of Sunset House, Smith Cove, or anywhere else? Please help, I cannot make up my mind. By the way, we are in port from 7 am - 6 pm and are the only ship in port.[/quote']

Book Capt Marvin's three stop snorkel trip for morning. Have lunch, then snorkel at Eden's Rock from the shore in the P.M.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Choozin',

We feel the same way. Done the stingrays, don't need to do it again. I received an email from Ocean Frontiers today. They don't seem interested in snorkelers from the cruise ships because they say they leave too early and return too late to accommodate us. You sound like you might be there a little longer than usual. Maybe they will do something for you but they would not even give me any quotes for a snorkel trip.

Thanks Stevesan' date=' we probably will end up at Eden's Rock. I just did not want to go to Sting Ray City again. I really enjoyed it, though I can't say we really saw all that many fish. [b']Did see the eel though[/b].

Anyone else have a favorite spot.?

I agree about Sting Ray City, but I don't know of any snorkel trip that doesn't visit there.

I recommended Capt Marvin's 3 1/2 hr trip because he goes to Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef (you've obviously been there, too). I just stay in the boat and decompress at Stingray City.:p

Eden's Rock is excellent, and easy to access from the cruise docks. Good entry, too. as you walk along the shore continue to the second dive shop. I don't recall their name, but the sign has an apple logo with a bite out, as in Apple Computers. They have a shop with rental gear, lockers and a large rinse tank on the deck.

Lots of scuba divers enter from here.

Maybe someone can suggest a good boat snorkel sans the stingrays. I, too, would like to know of one.

Archived