Just back from Glory...

JoeSmooga

Just got off the 1/13 sailing of Carnival Glory. If you have questions about this ship and it's western itinerary, post 'em and I will see what I can do to answer them as time allows. So you know in advance, the only organized excursion we did was Altun Ha/City Tour in Belize. All other stops we wandered on our own and talked with others about their experiences.

Joe

Was just wondering how you were docked in the ports We have 2 Aft Balcony's and I remember seeing someplace that The ship actually backed in or swings itself around. Also how was the tendering? We are sailng 24 Feb Thanks for the information.

I get AFT mixed up - are those the even side rooms of the ship or the odd?

I can tell you that we were in an EVEN numbered balcony room on Deck 7 (7368) during our December cruise on the Glory.

Sailing into Cozumel, the shoreline was right off of our balcony. We docked - did not tender and we sailed straight in - docking next to the Ecstacy.

Belize was our only tender. The trip was not bad at all - 15 minutes at the most from the ship to the tender docks.

Costa Maya - again we could view the coastline from our balcony - but here we did swing around and back into the pier.

Nassua - we were on deck to watch this approach and we backed into the pier between another Carnival ship and a Disney ship.

I have plenty of photos of the views from our balcony and the ship as we approached the ports. If you'd like me to email them to you, just let me know.

Patty

I get AFT mixed up - are those the even side rooms of the ship or the odd?

I can tell you that we were in an EVEN numbered balcony room on Deck 7 (7368) during our December cruise on the Glory.

Patty

OK - just did a quick search of nautical terms. Looks like the even numbers are the PORT side of the ship and the odd numbers are the AFT side - facing forward.

If I'm reading this correctly, we were on the PORT side - balcony cabin 7368 - Empress Deck.

So, from the PORT side of the ship and our balcony, we had perfect views of our approach into Cozumel and Costa Maya. And, as we sailed out of Nassua, I sat on my balcony and had a perfect view.

:) Thanks for answering our questions. Leaving March 24th. What did you do in Costa Maya?

Costa Maya was the best day of our week!! We had a group of 8 friends on this cruise - all adults and most of us over 45. We chose the Jungle Beach Break through Carnival - $39 per person. We browsed the shopping area for about 45 minutes and then caught the 10:00 bus to Uvero Beach. It was approximately a half hour drive - bus was air conditioned and very comfortable. The beach area was beautiful!!!!! The $39 includes your bus ride and an OPEN BAR for the day. This was definately the most relaxing, wonderful day of our cruise.

Food items were extra but VERY reasonable.

There are some soft grassy areas in the water - just full of starfish. We were holding several at a time for photos.

Whatever you do, make sure you sign up for the beach massage. It was $20 for a 40 minute massage and it was honestly the best I've ever had!!! It was very popular and we waited until later in the day to do it, and almost missed out. Next time, we're signing up EARLY.

I have some great photos from this day. If you're interested, send me your email and I'll forward some to you.

Patty

Thanks for the questions so far! Here's what I can tell about docking based off our experiences (we were in room 1274, port side Riviera Deck Forward, just above where people get off/on the ships in ports)...

Docking:

Cozumel - Docked at the International Pier in downtown San Miguel. Room on the port side had a view of the Carnival Ecstacy and the pier itself, while rooms on the starboard side looked up the coast to where the "old" pier used to be (Punta Maya). The Aida Aura was docked down there. Passengers disembarked on the port side of the ship, Deck 0 forward.

Belize - As always, anchored at sea and tendered in. While anchored, rooms on the port side of the ship could see the the Belize coastline/Belize City. Tendering was a snap... no problems, long lines, etc. Only about a 15 minute ride to the pier. Tenders picked up passengers on Deck 0 forward, port side.

Costa Maya - This pier the ship "backed in". Rooms on the port side had a view of a RCCL ship, and rooms on the starboard side looked south down the coastline. Passengers disembarked at Deck 0, forward, port side.

Nassau - 5 ships in port that day (Carnival Glory, Elation, Sensation, Disney Wonder, and if I remember right, Navigator of the Seas. Docked between Elation and Disney Wonder, so nothing to really see out of either side of the ship. Disembark port side, Deck 0, forward. TIP: When leaving Nassau, If you don't have a balcony, go all the way forward on Deck 7 and watch the sail away from there. It is a little used deck (there were 3 other people besides me there). All the decks topside were jammed with people. Ship backs out and does a 180 degree turn before leaving the harbor. EXCELLENT opportunity for pictures/video while this happens

Confirming that all EVEN numbered rooms are on the port side, odd are on starboard. :)

Keep the questions coming!

Joe

OK - just did a quick search of nautical terms. Looks like the even numbers are the PORT side of the ship and the odd numbers are the AFT side - facing forward.

If I'm reading this correctly, we were on the PORT side - balcony cabin 7368 - Empress Deck.

So, from the PORT side of the ship and our balcony, we had perfect views of our approach into Cozumel and Costa Maya. And, as we sailed out of Nassua, I sat on my balcony and had a perfect view.

PuhLeeeeze!!!! Being an old Navy man I simply cannot allow this to go unchallenged!!!!! Folks the AFT is the rear, the stearn, the flat end (as opposed to the pointy end) of the ship. While standing on the ship looking forward (toward the pointy end), the left side of the ship is the PORT side; the right side of the ship is the STARBOARD side. Now I feel a little better.

Please add me to the picture request. We're cruising in February along with memabumpee. Also, additions to the nautical terms:

Left is Port (even numbers) (easily remembered by the words left and port both have 4 letters).

Right is Starboard (odd numbers)

Forward is front of ship

Aft is back of ship

nanadawn99@sbcglobal.net

One more question: Did either of you eat in the special supperclub? If so, what was the food like? Are there a lot of choices or is it a theme restaurant (i.e., Italian, French, etc.)

PuhLeeeeze!!!! Being an old Navy man I simply cannot allow this to go unchallenged!!!!! Folks the AFT is the rear, the stearn, the flat end (as opposed to the pointy end) of the ship. While standing on the ship looking forward (toward the pointy end), the left side of the ship is the PORT side; the right side of the ship is the STARBOARD side. Now I feel a little better.

Thanks for setting me straight CruzMan!!! My father, who was a Navy veteran is probably turning in his grave right now at his daughter's non-knowledge of ship terms!!!

Please add me to the picture request. We're cruising in February along with memabumpee. Also, additions to the nautical terms:

Left is Port (even numbers) (easily remembered by the words left and port both have 4 letters).

Forward is front of ship

Aft is back of ship

nanadawn99@sbcglobal.net

One more question: Did either of you eat in the special supperclub? If so, what was the food like? Are there a lot of choices or is it a theme restaurant (i.e., Italian, French, etc.)

We did eat in the Emerald Club one evening. It was WONDERFUL!!!! There is no theme - just great food and the presentation is AWESOME!!! They tell you to allow 2 hours for the dining experience and it's definately worth it.

Forward is front of ship

Aft is back of ship

nanadawn99@sbcglobal.net

We did eat in the Emerald Club one evening. It was WONDERFUL!!!! There is no theme - just great food and the presentation is AWESOME!!! They tell you to allow 2 hours for the dining experience and it's definately worth it.

Texas Hold 'em: Yes, there was a tournament. No, I didn't see the limits (sorry!).

Cruise Director: Dana Hodson (who we previously sailed with on the Carnival Triumph and is GREAT), however, one of the comedians indicated during his show that that Dana was retiring from Carnival and he (the comedian) was appreciative of the fact that Dana had come to see him for that specific show as they had been friends for a long time. We did see Dana on shore at the pier after the cruise had completed as he was boarding a car with a lot of luggage. Don't know if that means he was done after this cruise or if he was just going out and doing "stuff" on turnaround day. And who knows... the comedian could have been BS'ing all of us.

Dining: We had Platinum dining room, late seating. While I do not have many positive comments about our servers (the team didn't seem to be in sync with each other), the food was excellent. One thing that was "new" to me since my last cruise in May was the introduction of the "Alternative Selections" menu option for dinner every night. You continue to get your standard beef, fish, chicken, and other dishes rotated in as choices every night, but they now have about 7 dinner items listed that you can get EACH night. These included grilled chicken breast, black angus burger, New York Sirloin and others I can't remember. Most notable to us with the Alternative Dessert Selection, which was known as "Chocolate Melting Cake" (or something to that affect. The BEST dessert they have ever had, hands down (and I have had a lot of them). I had it EVERY night on this voyage. Do NOT pass this up.

Daytime On Board Activities: Nothing "new" to speak of, other than a watermelon eating contest. That's pretty funny to watch, but I wouldn't want to participate as you have to eat the seeds (yuck!). Trivia in the lounges/on deck are always a good option, as well as the hairy chest contest and ice carving. Chair hogs on our trip were non-existent... plenty of deck chairs to go around.

Night Time Activities: Don't miss the Mexican Buffet and Deck Party! This is held on Wednesday night for Western Cruises. Also, the "So You Think You Can Dance" contest is something we hadn't seen before and looked like it was fun. Side Note: BIG fight in the Disco on Thursday night of our voyage. I personally didn't see it, but heard that security and the ship nurse was called up to attend to those involved. If anyone on our cruise has details on what went down, feel free to post here.

Joe

Texas Hold 'em: Yes, there was a tournament. No, I didn't see the limits (sorry!).

Cruise Director: Dana Hodson (who we previously sailed with on the Carnival Triumph and is GREAT), however, one of the comedians indicated during his show that that Dana was retiring from Carnival and he (the comedian) was appreciative of the fact that Dana had come to see him for that specific show as they had been friends for a long time. We did see Dana on shore at the pier after the cruise had completed as he was boarding a car with a lot of luggage. Don't know if that means he was done after this cruise or if he was just going out and doing "stuff" on turnaround day. And who knows... the comedian could have been BS'ing all of us.

Dining: We had Platinum dining room, late seating. While I do not have many positive comments about our servers (the team didn't seem to be in sync with each other), the food was excellent. One thing that was "new" to me since my last cruise in May was the introduction of the "Alternative Selections" menu option for dinner every night. You continue to get your standard beef, fish, chicken, and other dishes rotated in as choices every night, but they now have about 7 dinner items listed that you can get EACH night. These included grilled chicken breast, black angus burger, New York Sirloin and others I can't remember. Most notable to us with the Alternative Dessert Selection, which was known as "Chocolate Melting Cake" (or something to that affect. The BEST dessert they have ever had, hands down (and I have had a lot of them). I had it EVERY night on this voyage. Do NOT pass this up.

Daytime On Board Activities: Nothing "new" to speak of, other than a watermelon eating contest. That's pretty funny to watch, but I wouldn't want to participate as you have to eat the seeds (yuck!). Trivia in the lounges/on deck are always a good option, as well as the hairy chest contest and ice carving. Chair hogs on our trip were non-existent... plenty of deck chairs to go around.

Night Time Activities: Don't miss the Mexican Buffet and Deck Party! This is held on Wednesday night for Western Cruises. Also, the "So You Think You Can Dance" contest is something we hadn't seen before and looked like it was fun. Side Note: BIG fight in the Disco on Thursday night of our voyage. I personally didn't see it, but heard that security and the ship nurse was called up to attend to those involved. If anyone on our cruise has details on what went down, feel free to post here.

Joe

Football Fans: If you are on the sailing of Super Bowl weekend, the game WILL be shown on board. You can watch this in your stateroom, the cigar bar, the casio bar, or the sports bar (On The Green). The playoff games were hosted this same way.

Joe

Archived