Corrected Post Reef and Rays GT 01/17/2007

SurprisingWoman

Reef and Rays excursion was absolutely amazing. You get on the pontoon boat at the dock and they take you out to a coral reef. After showing you how to use your snorkel and fins, they issue you a snorkel swim vest. You can add or delete air to this, depending on how comfortable you are in the water. I flattened mine completely, my husband added quite a bit. You enter the water and swim around; viewing the most colorful and amazing fish you have ever seen. We didn’t see the nurse shark, but the barracuda was there and was very active with the swimmers. I didn’t see the barracuda, but my husband (who stayed closer to the ship) did. We were there at low tide so we couldn’t swim over the coral reef, but there were so MANY fish swimming around. We were there for a good 45 minutes? It was quite a while. You don’t have to worry about them leaving you, they blast a horn before leaving.

After leaving the coral reef, we went to Gibbs Cay. The operators of the boat docked the boat close to the shore and then we all got out. They actually held the rays and you could pet them and feed them. I got to hold a ray!!! It was amazing. We didn’t snorkel on this island, but it was amazing.

I actually came to the board to post my review of this excursion so I am glad you asked. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know. I just got home yesterday, my house is still moving with the swells, and I am tired! I will post photos later.

I am a *fish* and my husband and his brother are not good swimmers. We all had a good time.

Brenda

I can't thank you enough for posting that! It is exactly what I was hoping to hear and have decided to do this one. I didn't want to be on a boat most of the time and not have time in the water to explore, you know? I am really looking forward to this now! :)

I appreciate you detailing what happened and how long--it answered many of my questions. Except one: Are the vests and fins required or optional? I'm one who goes in with nothing but the mask and snorkel...

I hope you make it through the Post Cruise Depression OK! ;) Welcome back and thank you again!! You made my day! :)

My cruise was actually a charter cruise with Barenaked Ladies and they have announced there will be another cruise next January so my blues are being chased away by the promise of another cruise with my favorite people ever.

This excursion was sooo much fun. My BIL and husband are not comfortable in water over their head, but they are both glad they did it. I am a fish and I was able to get pretty far from the boat. I missed the barracudda (being fed next to the ship) but I had an AMAZING time.

I had friends that did the Gibbs Cay excursion with just the snorkeling around the island and spending time with the rays and they were bummed at the number of fish they saw.

This was a great excursion. You have quite a bit of time off the ship. I can't imagine they will MAKE you take fins. I swam a part of the time without them. The snorkeling vest didn't impede me. I just kept it flat, with no air. You should find the operators of the cruise pretty easy going, just slip them a tip when you ask or when you reask after they say no. Like everything on a ship, it seems to be money driven. (Not in a bad way, just in a "this is the way it works" way) They were really laid back.

Brenda

Archived