I think my head may explode.......

rowlady

I can't make a decision so decided to ask the experts.............

My family of 4 (kids are 14 and 15) is planning an Alaska cruise end of May or early June and are torn between two.......10 day on Princess Dawn from San Francisco or 7 day from Seattle on the Norwegian Pearl. We love the days at sea and extra time on the Princess but think the Pearl is a newer/better ship (especially for the teens). The itinerary is similar with biggest difference being the Pearl visits Glacier Bay and Princess does Tracy Arm instead. On past cruises we have really enjoyed the days at sea and just hanging out making friends so the extra 3 days would be a pretty big plus for the Dawn Princess ..........I have been waffling back and forth and can't seem to make up my mind (husband is struggling with decision too). Can someone help me with sage advice and words of wisdom?...PLEASE.......

Debbie

if you can get the "search" to work, you can find the reports about tracy arms...how few ships get all the way there due to ice/weather. i am sure others will report on that.

i can tell you that glacier bay is beautiful. a very relaxing day of just cruising by small to medium glaciers and stopping at the bigger ones.

scenery from day break...from the park rangers coming aboard to leaving and going around the corner to head to skagway. the route i took on the NCL star last sept, is the same the pearl will be doing this year. you do get "sea" time. monday, all day, cruising between some islands...tuesday morning, coming into juneau (great viewing, i didn't see any..but it's been said you can get lucky and see some humpbacks)...glacier bay and then after skagway way heading back to victoria.

the teen group could keep the kids busy. the real winner is the dining, food is available somewhere on the ship at all time. if the kids like hamburgers with hot fries..blue lagoon! *DH reported hamburgers were GREAT, i loved the chili.

however you choose..you will have a good time.

Rowlady - just my opinion,but...

We are Princess lovers (21 cruises overall, 6 with Princess) we decided, first time to Alaska, that we would book the Pearl (by the way,come join us on the June 3 cruise:) as we have a 15 year old that will be cruising, and another on the roll call has a 15 year old also). I think the ship looks great! We booked an aft minisuite and cannot wait. Princess from San Francisco is very tempting, but consider a couple of days in Seattle instead. Our motto is the newer the ship the better. By the way this will be our first cruise on NCL. We are also looking forward to freestyle dining.

Our cruise agent told us "don't go to Alaska unless you go to Glacier Bay" she has not steered us wrong before and she is paid to be the expert!

So have I convinced you??????

Can I answer any other questions?

Ted

just remember that for the speciality restaurants..if they are important to you..book your times early in your cruise. no reservation, no set hours..eat where you want. also, you can have dinner at one of the main dining rooms and come back for dessert later (like after a show). for the main dining rooms, unless you have 8 or more, they don't do reservations. work it just like you would a restaurant at home. busy times are between 6:30 to 8. you might have a small wait during those hours, maybe (we didn't on the star at all).

blue lagoon is great for alaska cruising, window seating with tables. table side sevice for a small menu..hot food cook right there on their grills.

you can grab pound cake or a cup of coffee any time at the blue lagoon. perfect for taking back for balcony viewing days.

the spinnaker lounge (or whatever it's called on the pearl) is a great place for glacier viewing if it's too cold outside. it's non-smoking on glacier day.

comfy seating and BIG windows.

you will have a GREAT cruise (we did), if interested you can check out the link for pictures (in my signature) and my review of the star.

Archived