Amtrak to NYC Port

cruisegirl1976

There will be four of us taking a train that arrives at Penn Station next month, so I was just wondering if anyone knows the price of a taxi to get from Penn Station to the pier? or if there was another way to get there., that is cheaper or better deal.

For four people take a cab. The train/bus is $2.00 per person a cab will run about $10-15 depending on traffic. You are only going three miles.

The cruise terminal is at 50th street and 12th avenue, amtrak is at 33rd and eighth avenue....remember have them stop and let you out on the uptown side of 12th avenue opposite the ship you are taking....and then you cross the street take an elevator up and find the baggage people....

There will be four of us taking a train that arrives at Penn Station next month, so I was just wondering if anyone knows the price of a taxi to get from Penn Station to the pier? or if there was another way to get there., that is cheaper or better deal.

Take the taxi. It's about a mile and a half to the pier, will take about 15 minutes and will cost you less than ten bucks.

Simply walk out of Penn Station at any 8th Avenue exit, and there will be a taxi dispatcher. If there isn't, simply stand on the curb with your arm outstretched. Look for a cab with the light in the center of the top turned on. If the medallion number and the side lights are on it is off duty and if the light is totally out, it is occupied. Around Penn Station it should take you no more than about two minutes to get a cab.

If you go to a dispatcher, he can also arrange to make sure you get a van if there are a large number of you or many bags.

It's really so easy and ridiculously cheap that there is no other option worth considering.

Take the taxi. It's about a mile and a half to the pier, will take about 15 minutes and will cost you less than ten bucks.

Simply walk out of Penn Station at any 8th Avenue exit, and there will be a taxi dispatcher. If there isn't, simply stand on the curb with your arm outstretched. Look for a cab with the light in the center of the top turned on. If the medallion number and the side lights are on it is off duty and if the light is totally out, it is occupied. Around Penn Station it should take you no more than about two minutes to get a cab.

If you go to a dispatcher, he can also arrange to make sure you get a van if there are a large number of you or many bags.

It's really so easy and ridiculously cheap that there is no other option worth considering.

"...remember have them stop and let you out on the uptown side of 12th avenue opposite the ship you are taking....and then you cross the street take an elevator up and find the baggage people....

"

Why have the cab drop them off on the uptowm side when they can be dropped off right in front ? I wouldn't want to try a cross 12th avenue with all the luggage...when the cab drops you off the porters are right there to take your luggage..

"...remember have them stop and let you out on the uptown side of 12th avenue opposite the ship you are taking....and then you cross the street take an elevator up and find the baggage people....
"

Why have the cab drop them off on the uptowm side when they can be dropped off right in front ? I wouldn't want to try a cross 12th avenue with all the luggage...when the cab drops you off the porters are right there to take your luggage..

Agreed. The taxi driver will probably take you across 55th and then straight up the ramp into the cruise terminal. It takes a minute or two longer with traffic headed into the terminal, might cost you a buck or two more, but means you don't have to lug all your baggage across 10 (yes, ten!) lanes of 12th street.

And any porter will take your baggage for any ship, even if you don't get out directly in front of your ship. Just tell the porter which ship you're on and off you go.

"

Why have the cab drop them off on the uptowm side when they can be dropped off right in front ? I wouldn't want to try a cross 12th avenue with all the luggage...when the cab drops you off the porters are right there to take your luggage

Agreed. The taxi driver will probably take you across 55th and then straight up the ramp into the cruise terminal. It takes a minute or two longer with traffic headed into the terminal, might cost you a buck or two more, but means you don't have to lug all your baggage across 10 (yes, ten!) lanes of 12th street.

And any porter will take your baggage for any ship, even if you don't get out directly in front of your ship. Just tell the porter which ship you're on and off you go.

I guess you haven't seen the traffic jams when it has taken a hour or more. The person asked for the least expensive way. With the waiting time on NY Taxis quadrupling last month, my suggestion is my suggestion.

I guess you haven't seen the traffic jams when it has taken a hour or more. The person asked for the least expensive way. With the waiting time on NY Taxis quadrupling last month, my suggestion is my suggestion.

Well in that case, if you want the LEAST expensive way, freakin' walk to the pier. It's only a mile and a half, not three miles.

Well in that case, if you want the LEAST expensive way, freakin' walk to the pier. It's only a mile and a half, not three miles.

LOL I thought of that and I can tell you how to do it by public bus and train but its a vacation- take a cab...The way you send them is closer to 2 miles....

They have also built an elevated sidewalk but that is down by 46th street,,... I have walked accross 12th avenue with no problem....anyone else sen it take an hour?....

I am very aware of the traffic jams in Manhattan. I personally have never had a serious problem getting to the passenger ship terminal.

I am very aware of the traffic jams in Manhattan. I personally have never had a serious problem getting to the passenger ship terminal.

From your signature it doesn't appear you have left from the NY Cruise terminal in many years. The terminal with multiple ships on the same day has become increasingly crowded. Also they are renovating it so one of the finger piers is under construction and will be for the next two years/. I have seen it take more than an hour. Also its now $24.00 per hour when the taxi is going less than 15 miles per hour(it used to be only when the cab was going less than 8 miles ph.). All the cabby's are real happy as they have seen their income increase exponentially.

In any case now the person has a choice...:)

From your signature it doesn't appear you have left from the NY Cruise terminal in many years. The terminal with multiple ships on the same day has become increasingly crowded. Also they are renovating it so one of the finger piers is under construction and will be for the next two years/. I have seen it take more than an hour. Also its now $24.00 per hour when the taxi is going less than 15 miles per hour(it used to be only when the cab was going less than 8 miles ph.). All the cabby's are real happy as they have seen their income increase exponentially.

In any case now the person has a choice...:)

Well this is pretty insulting, almost every one of the ships in my signature has left from the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal at one time or another and I drive into that area every single day so I am well aware of the NYC traffice congestion. More specifically I actually drove and parked at the PST this past summer in fact...you also are assuming that the cabs will go up 12th avenue and I really do see any issue with that and have never encountered a significant delay (and I have also done it by cab), but the poster could also tell the cab to go up 8th or 10th to 59 05 60th or and thes cross town...Ive also done this.

But to tell someone to cross 12 lanes of traffic with all of that luggage is ludricris...

Well this is pretty insulting, almost every one of the ships in my signature has left from the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal at one time or another and I drive into that area every single day so I am well aware of the NYC traffice congestion. More specifically I actually drove and parked at the PST this past summer in fact...you also are assuming that the cabs will go up 12th avenue and I really do see any issue with that and have never encountered a significant delay (and I have also done it by cab), but the poster could also tell the cab to go up 8th or 10th to 59 05 60th or and thes cross town...Ive also done this.

But to tell someone to cross 12 lanes of traffic with all of that luggage is ludricris...

12 lanes of traffic? at 50th street? I am sorry but the person doesn't come from NY and its not insulting at all to have an opinion and your signature doesn't show a recent NY cruise does it? You are entitled to your opinion as I said the person has heard both sides and can make their own decision..actually the way to go if you go up town is to go up on 10th or 11th avenue to 59th street turn left go under the highway and turn left again but that adds distance{I assume that is what you meant by 59 05 60th- you really need to be less angry it clouds your typing} .it is the way to go if you are driving your self. uptown..and its the way I go. As I said the wait prices have recently increased significantly on cabs(I think it was actually the end of November but who cares)....

you obviously have one opinion and don't like when others have an opinion.

BTW why is it insulting to point out that you haven't left from the terminal in many years....

• 4 weeks later...

BTW why is it insulting to point out that you haven't left from the terminal in many years....

Because

A): More specifically I actually drove and parked at the PST this past summer in fact. So maybe you can tell me what curise ships I was on...

B) and I drive into that area every single day.

Yes, I would disagree with anyone who would advise a stranger visiting NYC to cross 12 lanes of NYC traffic with all that cruise luggage...

Because

A): More specifically I actually drove and parked at the PST this past summer in fact. So maybe you can tell me what curise ships I was on...

B) and I drive into that area every single day.

Yes, I would disagree with anyone who would advise a stranger visiting NYC to cross 12 lanes of NYC traffic with all that cruise luggage...

You know my last post on this was over two weeks ago. You really are haveing a problem letting go. What I wrote was that it appears from your signature you haven't left from the NYPST in many years. You have explained that you have more experience. If you were insulted it really was your problem. You insult easily. I was there today getting off one of the two NCL ships there today. The cabs were plentiful and there was no need to go accross the street as the PD was moving traffic very well...which is not always the story.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like ya'll know about NYC pretty well. I have a question that isnt getting answered well enough for me anywhere else. Can someone who has parked at the pier please help me with a question? We are driving in and parking at the Manhattan terminal in May, everywhere i've read, says after the cruise, the driver of the car has to go get the car alone and exit the south ramp, then go pick up the rest of the people in their party. Where should the rest of the party wait as to be close to where the driver will exit the parking lot? I'm nervous about parking, but mosly about the pickup afterwards. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance......Theresa :D

Archived