Trains in Gydinia & Nynashahm

Can anyone tell me the location of the train station in Gdynia and Nynashahm in relation to the pier? We like to sightsee on our own and have found European trains cost efficient & reliable. THANX in advance--Dennis

This is a link to a thread on the old message board with lots of information about taking the train from Nynashamn to Stockholm.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8463082432&m=5333073817

I have seen a few posts with information about the train station at Gdynia - I don't remember exactly what was posted, but my impression is that it's not recommended in Poland to take the train. Better to use the transportation provided by the cruise line. If using a taxi from Gdynia to Gdansk, you need to be cautious. Most drivers do not speak English and many over-charge.

Julie

We used a taxi from Gdynia to Gdansk roundtrip. The taxi driver was just like a tour guide. We stopped in Sopot along the way and the shipyard monument on the way back. He spoke wonderful English-he loved Americans! In Gdansk he walked with us a little bit to show us the main sights and then waited for us for our return. This took over 5 1/2 hours for a charge of $80 for the four of us. The ship's tours were at least $40 per person and they didn't stop at Sopot and the time spent on your own was much less than we had. We stopped at a restaurant for a beer and snack and had as much time as we wanted. He was one of the highlights of our trip. We found him at the pier!

We were going to take a taxi but the taxi driver wanted $100 for 3 hours for the two of us, so we decided to take the train instead.

First we took the shuttle bus from the port to a shopping mall in Gdynia and from there it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the railway station. The bus driver pointed us in the direction we needed to go. The trains come approx. every 7 minutes, take about 30 minutes into Gdansk, and cost about $1 for the two of us. That part was fine but I had my bag slit open while getting into the train. Luckily I had nothing of value inside but it was an upsetting experience. So keep a lookout for pick-pockets.

The pickpockets in Gdynia are famous for their slit bag style. They carry corks with razor blades half buried in them.

The area is not known for violent crimes against people, but the pickpocket situation, especially on the trains, is something to be wary of.

Princess Cruises charges $19.00 per person for a R/T trip from Gdynia to Gdansk. You'll have a full day in Gdansk. On the bus was a "guide" who gave us a little info about Poland and the area, drove us through Sopot and pointed out interesting spots.

If you're on Princess, it's definitely the way to go.

We took the train from Gdynia to Gdansk and it was an interesting experience. Be sure and take a map to help find the station, as few people speak English. It's not far, probably about a 15 minute walk from the Constellation shuttle drop off. You can withdraw local currency at the ATM

at the station. It cost 4 Zloty (about $1) each way. The train is rather run down, but we had fun taking it. I had been warned that the trains are not reliable, so we gave ourselves a big time cushion to get back to the ship. I talked to some people who took a taxi, and they paid $25 each way.

Archived