Scuba and Swimming?

enchantingqueen

My boyfriend and I will be going on the Norwegian Dawn in March and one of the ports of call is Roatan (Bay Islands). I've heard that it's one of the best snorkeling/scuba diving sites in the world. My boyfriend is an excellent swimmer, I on the other hand am lucky if I can keep myself afloat for 30 seconds with a pathetic doggie paddle. So my question is, do you have to be a strong swimmer to scuba dive? I know that most scuba divers go down on a cord they can tug if they become distressed. Would anyone recommend scuba over snorkeling or vice versa? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know where you got that cord tugging thing; think someone is tugging your leg.

In order to get certified, you do have to pass a swimming test. You don't need that for a Discover Scuba experience, but unless you're comfortable in 40 ft of water, I wouldn't spend the money. Get some swimming instruction and get comfortable in the water before you try diving.

Enchantingqueen,

There are a couple of ways to answer your question. SCUBA is diving with compressed gas with a tank on your back and requires specific lessons in both a classroom, and open water by a licensed instructor. The short answer there is no, it wouldn't be something you could do in Roatan, regardless of your swimming ability, unless you enrolled in a class. You could possible do an Intro to SCUBA which the ship might offer through the SHOREX desk which would be under the direct supervision of an Instructor.

About your swimming ability, that's another issue all together. Are you afraid of the water, or is it just that you never learned to swim? If you have a fear of water and can't swim, its a dangerous combination for SCUBA. In that case I'd suggest you actually take swimming lessons, and build some confidence to overcome your fear of the water.

If you don't fear the water, snorkeling might be an option. When using fins and an inflatable snorkeling vest, you'll find that its easy to stay afloat and be able to move just kicking easily with your legs and feet. Again, with some supervision, you should be able to enjoy the underwater scenery safely, and Roatan is a fantastic place to try it for the first time!;)

Enchantingqueen,

There are a couple of ways to answer your question. SCUBA is diving with compressed gas with a tank on your back and requires specific lessons in both a classroom, and open water by a licensed instructor. The short answer there is no, it wouldn't be something you could do in Roatan, regardless of your swimming ability, unless you enrolled in a class. You could possible do an Intro to SCUBA which the ship might offer through the SHOREX desk which would be under the direct supervision of an Instructor.

About your swimming ability, that's another issue all together. Are you afraid of the water, or is it just that you never learned to swim? If you have a fear of water and can't swim, its a dangerous combination for SCUBA. In that case I'd suggest you actually take swimming lessons, and build some confidence to overcome your fear of the water.

If you don't fear the water, snorkeling might be an option. When using fins and an inflatable snorkeling vest, you'll find that its easy to stay afloat and be able to move just kicking easily with your legs and feet. Again, with some supervision, you should be able to enjoy the underwater scenery safely, and Roatan is a fantastic place to try it for the first time!;)

Enchantingqueen,

• 2 weeks later...

Either do a discover scuba class or just snorkel. Without a dive certification no reputable outfit will let you dive.

Between now and then you can take classes. Diving is not about swimming, but one must be comfortable in the water to avoid panic.

Archived