Dream cabin electrical current

aprildream

My hairdryer label states it is "125V 60Hz and 250W". Can I use it? I know the Dream has hairdryers in the bathroom but I like mine. It is round and I can curl at the same time. I don't want to blow fuses and put the ship in the dark. I am assuming chargers for cell phones, computers and such are OK too??

My hairdryer label states it is "125V 60Hz and 250W". Can I use it? I know the Dream has hairdryers in the bathroom but I like mine. It is round and I can curl at the same time. I don't want to blow fuses and put the ship in the dark. I am assuming chargers for cell phones, computers and such are OK too??

250W is very low for a hair dryer. Most are about 1000W and up. That said, the standard 120V outlet provided in each cabin is rated at 15 amperes, 1,875 watts. Overload or fault this and a circuit breaker will open requiring a maintenance call. (and some embarrassment!)

The outlet in the head is for low wattage devices only such as an electric razor.

You can connect as many devices to the cabin outlet as you wish as long as the sum of everything (when running at the same time) does not exceed 15 amps. Use a quality power strip with a metal chassis and discrete outlets rather than one molded out of plastic.

You can bring your hair dryers on all of NCL's ships

except one, the Spirit which was built to cruise the Asian market for Star Cruises. Because of its smaller gauge wiring for the Asian market, most American hair dryers will blow the Spirits circuits.

You can bring your hair dryer on the Dream, no worries.

You can connect as many devices to the cabin outlet as you wish as long as the sum of everything (when running at the same time) does not exceed 15 amps. Use a quality power strip with a metal chassis and discrete outlets rather than one molded out of plastic.

I'm not sure most people know how many amps are being drawn, unless they bring a meter with them:rolleyes: . Basically you can plug in anything you would at home.

And how many people pack metal power strips?

I'm not sure most people know how many amps are being drawn, unless they bring a meter with them:rolleyes: . Basically you can plug in anything you would at home.

And how many people pack metal power strips?

It should be a requirement. No ammeter or amprobe necessary all it takes is to be able to read the product label and a little common sense. Of course judging by the amount of nuisance calls I would say most just wing it and go by if the "if it fits it must be ok" rule.

The following images depict what's NOT recommended (should be not allowed!) to minimal to best.

675944_sk_md.jpg Not recommended.

240ff47b-8da7-4302-bf36-d8606a7ba1fe.gif This is the recommended minimum.

I315557.jpg This one is better as long as the owner does not overload the source outlet capacity of 1875W!

Generally power on modern ships is stable and of good quality easily comparable to what you would experience at home and in an office environment with good wiring. Fluctuations are a given (just as they are on land) and sensitive equipment should be wired with the necessary protective devices to guard against spikes, over/under voltage and total power loss. A UPS is probably total overkill since most people bring notebook pc's instead of desktop pc's with them and as long as the mobile PC's battery pack is in good order you should not have to worry about the system getting shut off unexpectedly in the event of a power failure.

Archived