Clothes for SA cruise?

jocelysue

What clothes should one pack for a South American cruise this time of year where it is summer and yet one goes around the Horn? I am particularly interested in clothes for shore excursions. We live up North where there is lots of snow and cold weather right now but realize that it is spring in SA.

I keep reading that one should wear layers, but will someone please be more precise. Layers of what over what? Should one have an overcoat, a raincoat? What type of jacket? Wool , cotton or nylon? What type of sweaters and cardigans? Should a woman wear safari type pant suits or are skirts more appropriate? Or gym pants? What type of shoes to bring, sandals, closed in shoes, running shoes?

Should one have both summer and fall or winter outer garments? What type hats? Straw or chullos?

Sorry to ask so many questions but we are in a quandary about this.

Jocelysue

We did South America last March, Buenos Aires to Santiago, on Regal Princess.

For the most part good weather, but it was cool at the bottom of SA. Nylon windbreaker is very handy, particularly in places like the Falkland Islands, where the wind can be pretty strong.

We dressed much like we would in Alaska, layered. Sweaters are handy, also, as the ship often keeps the dining rooms and show lounges on the cool side.

Generally when people talk about layering, they mean some sort of cotton shirt (like a T shirt) that you could wear on its own, and then a sweater, or sweatshirt type thing, and then a lighter jacket. That way you can easily adjust if the temps change. It should be mostly pleasant weather, but out on the ocean, and around the horn, it might get windy and cool...generally pack for summer and anything special on the cruise (like formal night). Have a few warmer items just in case. Those disposable rain ponchos are also great to carry in your bag (since they are so small) in case of a sudden shower.

In Alaska, I wore a t-shirt, a sweat shirt and carried a nylon jacket...generally only needed the t-shirt until I took the helicopter ride up for a glacier walk...then out came the other two layers.

I leave for Buenos Aires in just over two weeks so that this question has been going back and forth in my mind for weeks. It's going to be hot in Buenos Aires but cool as we go through Magellan Straights.

I figure it'll be similar to an Alaskan cruise where it can be in the 70s and 80s in port but 40s or 50s while cruising the glaciers so I'm packing clothing that can be layered.

For Buenos Aires and the warmer climates, I'm bringing loose cotton shirts and jeans and linen pants. As it gets colder, I'm bringing a couple of lightweight wool sweaters, heavier weight cotton shirts for under that, and a couple of corduroy shirt jackets. I'm also bringing a lined wind-breaker/anorak (not heavily lined -- just has a lining for extra warmth.) I'm also bringing a fleece hat, gloves and scarf. For evenings on board, I'm bringing a lighweight cashmere pashmina and a cashmere ruanna. For shoes, I'm bringing a couple of sandals for the evening, slip-on sneakers, and a pair of Crocs (for comfort on the plane ride but also rubber for when I go penguin watching -- who knows what I'll step in.) I'm also bringing some lightweight wool socks.

Thanks for all the answers so far. Got a charge out of the one mentioning Crocs. That's what my 7 year old granddughter insisted on getting me for Christmas. Hadn't even considered bringing them with me but Belle will think she has one cool nanna if they tag along with me .

Actually, the real problem is that we love formal nights so don't want to give up on the tux and sparkles for more practical stuff. That's why the idea of lined anoraks comes in handy since space for real clothes is limited.

Does anyone suggest rubber duckies? Or wellingtons? I also reiterate the question about short ? If one wears them, does one look too touristy? We like to try to blend in with the local population.

Onse again, merci beaucoup. Will keep looking in to see other advice as it's all pertinent.

Actually, the real problem is that we love formal nights so don't want to give up on the tux and sparkles for more practical stuff. That's why the idea of lined anoraks comes in handy since space for real clothes is limited.
I have a couple of long, shimmery dresses, one black, the other a deep wine, and I bring very sparkly shawls and jewelry to dress them up even more. A pair of black sandals and I'm all dressed up. You don't have to give up your sparkles for the practical stuff.

If you would wear shorts in Paris or London, you might be comfortable with them in South American capitals. (I wouldn't, but that's just me. They tend to be pretty conservative down there. I would dress as for casual dinner on the ship). Nancy

It was too cold when we were there last June. But if it were warmer, I would have worn shorts.

I think that casual dinner wear is a little too much for just walking the streets.

Archived