Be carefull when tipping

Me and my dad went on a cruise in november on the explorer and im just now getting around to posting this, apparently he tipped the waiter $1 at a bar after his first drink ( I wasnt there ) and every drink after word was about twice as strong, we met up to go to an auction and lets just say no one would have noticed him if the ship was rocking in a hurricane, I made him go back to the room since we were on a limited budget and he might spend a tad to much on something we wouldnt need. Has anyone else tipped the waiter and gotten stronger drinks whithout asking?

Sounds a little weird to me. I can't imagine bartender making the drinks that much stronger for just a buck tip - maybe for $10. Are you sure your dad didn't just have one too many? You didn't mention how many drinks your dad thought he had or how much he normally drinks.

This was one of the last nights of the cruise, and he had been to the bar several times and never tipped, we had just won bingo for the 2nd time and he was feeling kinda generous I guess, I bet the waiter just thought the harder he made the drink the more the tip, or I bet the waiter was just happy to get an real tip instead of the one charged to your seapass.

i think it happens regularly. on our last cruise, i somehow got "into" Long Island Iced Teas. if you haven't heard of then, they include vodka, gin, tequila, rum, and several others. they also happen to cost the same as a regular mixed drink. more bang for your buck I say!

i kept going to the same bartender, and getting the same thing. each one was more powerful than the previous. by the end of the night, my last one was free, as was a shot of rum in my "free coke" cup, and my wifes drink too! my wife thought it was silly, but in my drunken stupor i had to go back and give the bartender a $5 tip. it was well worth it for me. we saw him the next day, and he had rememberd me, and was going to put another shot in my coke cup, but i had to pass, so i could get rid of my hangover first.

the bartenders will make the drinks a little stronger, usually for free if you ask, but they also like to get a tip as well. it's all about fun as one says.

I had a waiter (Kevin in the Champagne Bar) change my regular BBC - Bailey's, banana, and colada mix - to what I now call my ABBC (Alberta'a BBC) - coconut rum, vodka and kahlua added - at no extra charge. Kind of a tropical Iced Tea. After 2 of these I didn't know what to do with the dice when I was the shooter. He also wanted me to come back later for some custom shots but I declined.

No extra charge on the seapass, but I always added $1 to all drink orders, and I gave him some cash as well.

This happens all the time as well as better service
If you are standing in the SCRUM of a Pool bar and there is a bartender who has his back turned cutting Lemon's he then turns around and the guy who gave him a five at last call last night is there, and the grump who compalins that he waters down the drink is there.... who is he going to wait on

Last summer on the Nordic Empress we were enjoying some frozen drinks at the pool bar. I gave the bartender a cash tip (probably $2-$3) in addition to the one that was already added into the bill, and after that he kept "floating" extra rum on top of our drinks. I definitely think they'll "take care of you" if you tip them extra.

This same thing happened to me. Except I wasn't getting the drinks and tipping extra, my husband was. I guess he wanted to get me all loosened up so we could have a good time that night ( it was our honeymoon.):D I knew my limit was about 3 drinks. But since it was my honeymoon, I had 5. I didn't have to drive home and I knew 5 drinks would get me tipsy and silly, but it had never gotten me wasted. Little did I know my husband was tipping $1 extra for every drink. My husband said the bartender was putting an extra shot into all of my drinks. So it was really like 10 drinks instead of 5.:eek: I didn't realize how wasted I was until I stood up. I remember going to our room and puking. I don't remember much else except that my husband's plan backfired on him and we didn't have such a good night after all. I was just too sick! :(

Archived