Sailing on Radiance???

ckl

Hello everyone :),

My husband & I do hope to be first time cruisers. I am quite sensitive to motion but after last year's trip to Italy with Trafalgar Tours (driving around Sorrento, Amalfi coast and a boat excursion to Isle of Capri) wearing motion sickness bracelets and feeling fine afterwards, we are now looking forward to go cruising.

Would someone please enlighten me about cruising on Radiance vs. Navigator. The itinerary on Radiance is better for us this time.

My question is for anyone who has cruised on both ships:

Since Radiance is lighter (around 90,000 tons vs Navigator's 138,000 tons), does it mean it is rockier???

Please, please, I need some enlightenment on this as booking on both ships are going fast.:confused:

Thank you so much and I am looking forward to any replies.:)

Take care.

Don't Worry! It's not the size but the design & sometimes the age of the ship that might make it rockier. It is mostly due to sea conditions which can cause any big ship to rock. Cruise ships are actually all quite stable, so use other criteria for deciding on which ship you want.

Happy Cruising!

We were on Radiance over New Year's in an AFT cabin where you might expect to feel rocking...or at least noise/motions from the motors. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except lovely sea noise! I couldn't believe that we couldn't even feel it when we went into a port and used side thrusters to move in and out from the dock. MUCH smoother ship than many of the others we have been on. Haven't been on Navigator.....but Radiance was fabulous and certainly wouldn't have needed any motion meds. If you like her itinerary...sail her....she is beautiful and the crew was the best ever! Would go back on her in a heartbeat.:p

Don't Worry! It's not the size but the design & sometimes the age of the ship that might make it rockier. It is mostly due to sea conditions which can cause any big ship to rock. Cruise ships are actually all quite stable, so use other criteria for deciding on which ship you want.

Happy Cruising!

Hello Shifra :)

Thank you so much for your reply.:)

It is comforting to know that cruise ships are quite stable. Unfortunate experiences of taking day cruises (mind you, on a much smaller vessel) off the coast of Newfoundland and Molokini Island off the coast of Maui were quite unforgettable. Both times, I was the only one sick. Also, that was before wearing those lifesavers, my very much loved :)motion sickness bracelets.

Again, thank you for answering my question.

Lita

We were on Radiance over New Year's in an AFT cabin where you might expect to feel rocking...or at least noise/motions from the motors. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except lovely sea noise! I couldn't believe that we couldn't even feel it when we went into a port and used side thrusters to move in and out from the dock. MUCH smoother ship than many of the others we have been on. Haven't been on Navigator.....but Radiance was fabulous and certainly wouldn't have needed any motion meds. If you like her itinerary...sail her....she is beautiful and the crew was the best ever! Would go back on her in a heartbeat.:p

Hello Sue

I have written on this post to thank you for your reply but I can't see it. Maybe, I did not click on the right button. Or maybe, because in the middle of typing it, I got a call from our oldest daughter who is away in university and we talked for about 45 minutes. After, I finished typing the message, then sent it. I am very inexperienced in using this board, so please bear with me.

Anyway, I will just have to retype it. More or less, it goes as follows:

Dear Sue,

Thank you so very much for your encouraging reply :)

Guess what! We just finalized and paid for a cruise on Radiance. Am now looking forward to sailing her with much, much less trepidation. Hubby is not affected with motion sickness at all. Lucky guy! He said that if he ever does, a glass of wine will surely do the trick :D

Your taking the time to answer queries from newbies like us is precious. Reading your comment that sailing on Radiance is MUCH smoother than many of the other ships you have been on made me DANCE a jig! I was that happy :p

Again, thank you Sue. You're a gem. :)

Lita

Archived