SUPER BOWL SUNDAY and MUSTER DRILL

We have also have always had the muster drill on Sunday, the day of the Superbowl. We have been on the Brillance, Rhapsody, Vision, and Legend when the Superbowl was held. The muster only took 15-20 minutes and my husband didn't miss anything. This time the Mariner next Sunday

It is a coast guard regulation that all passengers must to the muster drill prior to leaving port. It will not be pushed back.

Actually the coast guard regulation reads that on "VOYAGES of one week or less drills must be held within 24 hours of leaving port"--that is why I have heard rumors that sometimes the drill is moved till the next day---

But it doesn't sound like RCCL does that regarding the SUPER BOWL

A cruise line can hold the muster drill on the next day - I think it just has to be within 24 hours of sailing. I have been on ships where they have delayed it until the next day because the weather was terrible when we sailed and they weren't going to ask us to stand outside in the whipping wind and rain. I can't imagine they would move it for a sporting event. I have sailed during the Superbowl before - and will be on the Sovereign this year, and the muster drill has never made me miss a second of the game. I'm sure you'll be fine as it should be over by 6 anyway and the game doesn't start until 6:30. Dinner in the dining room that night - probably not going to happen unless you want to miss part of the game.

Personally I would much rather everyone on the ship know what to do in case of an emergency than worry about missing 15-20 min. of the start of the superbowl. The headlines would read:

"The ship sunk the first night at sea and while no one knew anything about saving themselves or their families, there was a huge superbowl party and everyone knew who the winner was."

And yes, I realize that many people have done muster drills several times on several ships and probably never need another one again. But, there are many who have never sailed or sailed very few times and need to know what to do in an emergency.

We have also have always had the muster drill on Sunday, the day of the Superbowl. We have been on the Brillance, Rhapsody, Vision, and Legend when the Superbowl was held. The muster only took 15-20 minutes and my husband didn't miss anything. This time the Mariner next Sunday

Actually the coast guard regulation reads that on "VOYAGES of one week or less drills must be held within 24 hours of leaving port"--that is why I have heard rumors that sometimes the drill is moved till the next day---

But it doesn't sound like RCCL does that regarding the SUPER BOWL

Good information to know! If it were me I'd rather get it done the day we leave port, the last thing I would want to do my first day out is to have to pull myself away from the pool to do a muster drill! And I bet the cruise line would have a hard time getting participation if they did it a day later.

On my most recent Princess cruise the muster drills are held inside the ship - not outside - we were all able to sit during the explanation and hear all the announcments. It was a nice change.

Personally I would much rather everyone on the ship know what to do in case of an emergency than worry about missing 15-20 min. of the start of the superbowl. The headlines would read:

"The ship sunk the first night at sea and while no one knew anything about saving themselves or their families, there was a huge superbowl party and everyone knew who the winner was."

And yes, I realize that many people have done muster drills several times on several ships and probably never need another one again. But, there are many who have never sailed or sailed very few times and need to know what to do in an emergency.

Thanks so much for the personal editorial comment--If you read my post it said "JUST CURIOUS"-- about the the drill being moved--I never once stated I was worried about missing any of the game at all for that matter--I knew people on this board would know the answer to my question--and they did--Your response would have answered the question had I asked "WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT about moving a muster for the SUPER BOWL"

Just so you know I agree that everyone's safety should come before a sporting event--

The only reason why i watch the superbowl is because of the commercials :)

Well this year some guy spent about 2-1/2 million dollars to buy commercial time to ask his girlfriend to marry him.:eek:

I heard he raised part of the money and the rest was given to him by one of the sponsors.

It is very likely that the MUSTER drill will be the next day. The ship has 24 hours to do the drill. On my AOS cruise last week, because the football playoff games were on, the drill was pushed back to Monday. This decision was made because the previous week a lot of people skipped MUSTER because of playoff football. Note that the late seating, which is normally pushed back for this cruise so that MUSTER can happen between seatings, was kept at 9:00 pm, even though there was no MUSTER drill that evening.

Well this year some guy spent about 2-1/2 million dollars to buy commercial time to ask his girlfriend to marry him.:eek:

I heard he raised part of the money and the rest was given to him by one of the sponsors.

Oh I would be SO mad if my BF did that. Get me a 2 million dollar ring that I can wear everyday instead!!!

Archived