Does HAL's reference to jeans on casual night include designer and/or colored jeans?

carolcreek

...NOW one does have to be careful...I will continue to be humble when a visitor in another country...
Good advice, I think.

In this context, "humble" doesn't mean acting like a toad but rather, not dolling up in a lot of flashy jewelry or doing the Ugly American bit such as "how much is this in REAL money", or, "why isn't this (13th century castle) air-conditioned?"

The minute we open our mouths, they know we're American, regardless how we're dressed. And anyone who has traveled in recent years knows we're not universally loved.

Happily, respectful behavior can bring about some very nice interactions.

Good advice, I think.

In this context, "humble" doesn't mean acting like a toad but rather, not dolling up in a lot of flashy jewelry or doing the Ugly American bit such as "how much is this in REAL money", or, "why isn't this (13th century castle) air-conditioned?"

The minute we open our mouths, they know we're American, regardless how we're dressed. And anyone who has traveled in recent years knows we're not universally loved.

Happily, respectful behavior can bring about some very nice interactions.

Well maybe we wouldn't have to be so ugly if they'd use real money and air condition those castles. And while they're at it, I wish they'd just print all their signs in English and learn to speak our language.:D :rolleyes:

As a person who has traveled to too many countries, and speaks too many languages, one of the greatest compliments I ever received was from a Venetian: "You can't be American...you laugh too much and seem to enjoy life too much."

I think that's telling.

If you are going international, remember that jeans weigh a lot and will cut into your baggage allowance.

However, by all means, DO pack the jeans or at least knock-around khakis if you plan on any shore excursions that include horseback riding, riding through the jungle in jeeps, or bushwhacking through the brush. Nothing looks more unprepared than a tourist wearing shorts and sandals, camera around neck, on a horse. Things can get dusty :( , muddy :p , buggy :mad:, and sweaty :eek: , and you could be a mess by the time you get back to the ship. You need the protection from the saddle and paraphernalia, not to mention the fact that horses just LOVE to cozy up to all the cactus along the trail . . .

Sometimes resort casual just won't do. :cool:

You speck ONLY of France and I said nothing about France. I did say that I have 17 trips around the world and NOW one does have to be careful. If you wish to continue the old ways please do. I am not so foolish and I will continue to be humble when a visitor in another country. And speeking four languages and being trained by the US government on how to act when abroad, has helped also.

It is not DOOM and GLOOM.......JUST COMMON SENSE that the Lord has NOT given everyone.:eek:

I only spoke of the Frence as they are often percieved as being anti- american and many people do go to france, as opposed to say, Syria or Columbia or even Viet Nam. Venice, Barcelona, London, COpenhagen (the usual ports) do not pose the same degree of danger for the average well mannered American who is on vacation and engaging in the usual activities.

I am not trying to get into a competition over who speaks more languages or is better traveled. But I will say that I attended Georgetown School of Foreign Service and most of my education involved studying other languages and cultures.

I happened to be in Mexico when we started dropping bombs on Iraq. There was a lot of anti american sentiment. But we coped just fine.

Well, I guess this means that my Sears and Roebuck overalls with the red rick-rack trim around the bottom will not cut it for formal night :eek:

Well, it is back to Wally World to try again! :p

Any suggestions?

.....I'm not convinced on what the actual code of conduct for dress is. It seems pretty subjective from what I've read on this board. It cracks me up when the cruise board fashion police put their 2 cents in - and that's both sides of the argument......

You will quickly discover that the so-called fashion police on this board are far and away much more severe in their calls than those who really count...the staff on the actual ship. It's a shame that the old threads had to die...many a discussion about the nuances of what to wear or not to wear were lost.

And, believe it or not, these same folk thought it ok for some fellow to wear fuzzy rabbit bedroom slippers all day and night, every day! Talk about the epitome' of tackiness!

Having gotten that off my chest, if it is called a jean it probably wouldn't be appropriate for the evening meal, unless for some reason they had a "country and western" theme.

That's my opinion, and like the other orifices here, I'm entitled to it

If there 16 types of Coke, and no one tells anyone which Coke to drink, why can't there be more than one opinion on what is proper attire.

Attire is a simple thing. Dress to fit in. In Florida, socks are considered formal. Shorts go everywhere.

Once in St Petersburg, Russia, I saw a flea market vendor charge another American twice what she charged me for the same item. I asked why. "Obviously, by his dress," she said, "he doesn't know value."

QED

Archived