AZ Parrothead / Antigua Scooters

Sleeepy

I saw your reply on another post. I thought about doing this, but saw a post from local experts on TripAdvisor that recommended against it (they said not very safe for tourists). I'd like to have your opinion/experience - I thought it'd be awesome.

Well, to be honest, they weren't the newest scooters and the guide was quick to take cash. They gave us helments and a 2 minute lesson and we were off. We actually had a plastic bag as a gas cap :-)

That havin been said, we are pretty adventurous people and my wife had a blast riding on the back of her honey's "hog" for the day. We got rained on and just carried on and got wet. It was awesome. The scooters go about 35mph so you can see the whole island in a day. It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it and getting out of town is a bit of a challenge with the traffic. After that, it was smooth sailing.

It all comes down to what you think is fun. We like to explore and be on our own. Plus, I really liked having DW's arms wrapped around me all day long...Try it, you'll have fun

Thanks. I just pulled this from the TripAdvisor Forum posted by a "local expert" and among a few other comments, one was good way to "cheese grate yourself" running into a goat, etc. I really thought it would be awesome and sounds like you had a great time. cessnapilot

Falmouth Foreside, Maine

Forum posts: 480

(5785234)

LOCAL EXPERT icon_info.gif for Portland, Antigua

More about cessnapilot...

Posted on: 2:13 am, January 20, 2007saveIconLeft.gif Save

One word comes to mind...."Don't".

Or perhaps it's two words, as in "Please don't".

Antigua is not Bermuda. There are lots of traffic issues, and I am surprised that Munmunmun is unaware that the Goverment has put out a warning regarding motorcycle use and the accompanying warnings regarding rentals to non-Antiguans. This was sent to my home here in the U.S. as well as to my home in Antigua. You can still rent them (with more difficulty), but the government itself is telling you not to.

Really, it's not that great a way to explore the island. A day's car rental is truly a better alternative.

Archived