Norwegian Fjords 6/21

rkav

Will anyone else be on this cruise?

Has anyone else been one a Norwegian cruise in the past?

This will only be my second cruise, the first being to Alaska and I'm hoping that the scenery won't be too similar.

Scenery aside, I'm soooo excited for this trip. It's a celebration of my grandma's 85th birthday and the completion of my chemotherapy treatments. I'm going with my girlfirend and 10 relatives and we're all looking forward to it very much.

Lesson learned for the future: don't book exciting trips to far in advance-- the anticipation is killer! :)

Will anyone else be on this cruise?

Has anyone else been one a Norwegian cruise in the past?

As you can see, Norway is a destination I love!

What questions to you want answered?

Let me know. I'll see what I can suggest......

Matthew

Before I get on with my reply, I just want to say that I'm amazed at how friendly and helpful all you folks are. Many internet boards are plagued with people who are seemingly there to just inflame the other people on the board. But you just don't find that here. So-- kudos!

Anyway...

Thanks for your reply.

Are there any particular shore excusions that we should be on the lookout for? Mind that we do have a 85 year old and a guy with a bad leg (me)...so nothing too adventurous.

Have you been there in June/July? What's the weather like? Should I bother bringing my bathing suit?

Any other general advice?

Thanks for your help!

We took the Seabourn Pride in June for her Norwegian coast/fjords/North Cape cruise. This was my 3rd Norwegian cruise. You could bring a bathing suit (it doesn't take up much room) on the off chance that there is a really warm day, but you probably won't use it. Sweaters will be much more useful. The temperatures ranged from the low 50s to the mid 60s except at the North Cape where it was colder. There were a few beautiful & sunny days, but there was also a fair amount of rain (mostly light).

The beauty of the fjords and of the country is wonderful -- and much of it can be enjoyed from the ship, if you and some members of your party are not terribly mobile. Especially in June and July when there is the midnight sun just watching the fjords, towns and small cities pass by is a magnificent thing to do. One night, around 10PM for a couple of hours the captain took us for a wonderful ride through the harbors of many sleeping, but sunny, small cities and towns. We watched from the open window of our "French" balcony. It was really marvelous. The Seabourn triplets are really the perfect ships for this cruise.

BTW, we travelled with an 85 year old lady friend of ours and she had a wondeful time.

We took the Seabourn Pride in June for her Norwegian coast/fjords/North Cape cruise. This was my 3rd Norwegian cruise. You could bring a bathing suit (it doesn't take up much room) on the off chance that there is a really warm day, but you probably won't use it. Sweaters will be much more useful. The temperatures ranged from the low 50s to the mid 60s except at the North Cape where it was colder. There were a few beautiful & sunny days, but there was also a fair amount of rain (mostly light).

The beauty of the fjords and of the country is wonderful -- and much of it can be enjoyed from the ship, if you and some members of your party are not terribly mobile. Especially in June and July when there is the midnight sun just watching the fjords, towns and small cities pass by is a magnificent thing to do. One night, around 10PM for a couple of hours the captain took us for a wonderful ride through the harbors of many sleeping, but sunny, small cities and towns. We watched from the open window of our "French" balcony. It was really marvelous. The Seabourn triplets are really the perfect ships for this cruise.

BTW, we travelled with an 85 year old lady friend of ours and she had a wondeful time.

Just found Seaborn today after Oceania didn't pan out. We very much want to book this same trip. Fingers crossed...hard to do that on the weekend. Seasoned Seaborn travelers, we need your help. Do you miss having an actual balcony? We are dedicated NONsmokers. Will we find allies or be considered the enemy?:)

That's okay, it's a fact of life that after the editing window closes on these posts, that is when you notice your typos!

I had a huge balcony on Holland America's Amsterdam to Alaska, and I loved it. On my first Seabourn cruise, I did not have a balcony, just a regular suite with their large window. I liked it very much, the windows are huge. On my 2nd Seabourn cruise, I had a french balcony, and it was nice....but it was a generous upgrade on Seabourn's part, and I would not pay the extra thousands for it, as pleasant as it was to be able to step out there (and that's all you can do, it's only about a foot wide). All that being said, I never missed the "real" balcony that I had on the Amsterdam, since the decks on Seabourn are a hop, skip and a jump from any stateroom.

I understand other people's desires for balconies, but the Seabourn experience itself is so unique, it isn't even a consideration for me. I am also a nonsmoker, and very sensitive to smoke. It was not an issue on either of my Seabourn cruises.

Jane :)

Back to your question "rkav". The train in Flaam is a must. Aalesund is a very cute litte city to just stroll around for an hour or two. Very nice Art-deco buildings. In Bergen I would recomend Troldhaugen in the evening (remember the looong -and hopefully- sunny evenings). It is also a "must" to visit the outdoor fish-market and to take the funicular up to mount Floyen (Just 10 min walk on bad legs...). In Eidfjord the Voringfoss is rather spectacular. What Seabourn says about the Olympic-94 site is nothing I can understand because that is in the absolute other side of the country!!! If you are not to do any other tours while in Norway you HAVE TO do the Vigeland Park in Oslo. It is a wonderful experience! In Copenhagen Tivoli is great fun, and als the "Glyptotekhet" art collection.

I would like to wish you a wonderful cruise already! And do bring your bathing suits; the hottest day in my life was once in Oslo. We couldn't walk from one shelter to another; it was so hot!

We did Norwegian cruises many times , but we never had really bad weather! Might do it again - we like to cruise as "beaters" ourselves - but so far haven't booked yet. Friends of ours, who don't post on this board, are booked on this cruise though. We are from Holland; where are you from rkav?

I'm glad to hear that it could be warm--even hot!

I'm from Monterey, California, a city that gets cruise ship visits occasionally. Its good for the tourist industry here but weird when the population of our relatively small community increases by 3000 for an afternoon.

I look forward to possibly meeting your friends. They're not in their early twenties are they? Probably not. I have a feeling that my girlfriend and I are going to be a unique demographic. But we're perfectly happy to party with the geezers. :D

Archived