Should I cruise out of Galveston?

Poolguppy

I'm thinking of booking Carnival Conquest out of Galveston on 10/28 and am looking for reasons why I should or should not. I'm especially interested in ease of getting to Galveston from Houston, location of port, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Galveston is located about 50 miles from Houston. If you fly into Hobby, your travel time is around 45 min. Hobby is located on the south side of Houston. If you fly into IAH (Bush) your travel time would be around an hour and a half as IAH is located north of Houston.

Since I live 35 min. from Galveston and not up on transportation to and from the airports, I would search this forum for that particular information.

Galveston is an easy port to get to but they do have a few minor problems, mostly traffic at disembarkation as you have passengers getting off and passengers trying to unload and check in for the next cruise.

If you do your homework and have all your i's dotted and t's crossed you should have a very good cruise and an enjoyable experience.

• 2 weeks later...

DannyMac - Thanks for the info - we would fly into Hobby. However, I'm torn between staying overnight in Houston and then driving to Galveston on the day of embarkation or staying in Galveston overnight. I guess it wouldn't matter either way - I probably still need to rent a car - right? And which city would be more fun for a group of eight in their late 30's early 40's?? :p

If anyone else has any comments on this port, I'd greatly appreciate it as the Conquest is in the lead for our cruise.

Thanks!!

E

I would definitely suggest staying overnight in Galveston vs Houston! I have done this twice and am planning my next trip out of Galveston this April. The first time I stayed in Galveston at the Tremont House (pricey but nice) as suggested by my travel agent. However, last yr I stayed at a smaller motel right on the water (across the street from the beach) called Gaido's. Loved it there, they also have a very good seafood restaurant adjacent. Galveston Limo will take you from Houston Bush for $70 RT and you take a cab to the cruise ship in the morning. I've found that Galveston really adds a day of vacation to the cruise!

You could drive about 20 minutes south of Hobby and stay in the Clear Lake area of Houston. The Kemah Boardwalk would be a fun night for your group http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/flash_content/flash_content.html

This is the area of Houston surrounding the Johnson Space Center. There are many motels/hotels in the area and the trip to Galveston is an easy 30 minute drive.

I also live in the Galveston area. I agree with the poster that suggested staying in Galveston. Most of the hotels have shuttles or can arrange for transportation to the ship. I drive to the parking lots and take the shuttle but would definitely stay in Galveston. If you stay on the Seawall (beach) near 25th street you can take the trolley to the Strand district. Fun way to see some of Galveston and the Strand is a good place to spend a few hours and a few dollars for those last minute forgotten items.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - I will consider them all. I had heard of the Strand and figured that would be a great place for us to hang out the night before. Although Clear Lake is a great idea because I would be able to hook up with some family that were transplanted from Illinois to Houston.

I'd love to hear about any hotel faves (or seconds on the ones recommended.) Is there anything within walking distance of the Strand or do we need to cab it?

Elaine

We found out today the last leg of our return flight has been cancelled, TA is desperately trying to find another for our group of 16. I doubt she can do it, because of the size of the group and it being during April break. We are talking about what we should do, and Galveston is a much better option for us than Newark! We already have return shuttle paid for, hopefully we can change the date if we have to stay an extra day. We will check out Gaido's and the Strand.

Hey, Teech, are you going on the Conquest on 4-15? It's Teacher's Gone Wild Cruise, ya know!!

TinaJ

Archived