drinks in cabins

jimgib

we are sailing on mercury on 18 feb. having read about the rules etc regards liquer in cabins, can anyone tell be the best way to have a few bottles etc waiting for me when we board? is it best to buy a gift package ? or is it cheaper to order when on board?

thanks

JimGib

JimGib--We always set up a bar in our cabin for "drinks in cabins". Unfortunately,the prices the cruise company's charge for bottles, gift packages, etc. are unacceptable to me, so I, like many others, chose to bring my own in our luggage. I bought a clear plastic bladder (Magellans.com)(plastic with no metal), fill it with my beverage of choice and have never had a problem with security. I know it is a "no no" but so are the on-board bottle prices. Sea/FAB

We've always traveled with the REI "Platypus" bags (and will continue)... but as a gesture of good faith I went ahead and ordered one of the "Classic" packages from Bon Voyage (bottle of rum, six-pack of cokes, pkg of nuts) and a bottle of wine.

Here's what I learned with Bon Voyage orders:

1. If you don't order before you go, you can't get liquor for your room (unless you bring your own, but see The Rules)

2. You can only order the Bon Voyage liquor package, not a single bottle.

3. You CAN order wine for your room while the ship is underway.

4. If you bring your bon voyage wine to the dining room, there's no corkage fee.

We've always traveled with the REI "Platypus" bags (and will continue)... but as a gesture of good faith I went ahead and ordered one of the "Classic" packages from Bon Voyage (bottle of rum, six-pack of cokes, pkg of nuts) and a bottle of wine.

Here's what I learned with Bon Voyage orders:

1. If you don't order before you go, you can't get liquor for your room (unless you bring your own, but see The Rules)

2. You can only order the Bon Voyage liquor package, not a single bottle.

3. You CAN order wine for your room while the ship is underway.

4. If you bring your bon voyage wine to the dining room, there's no corkage fee.

I've been told by ship's services that you can order the liquor packages after boarding. Haven't done it so I can't be sure.

John & CruznTom--- The only one magellans now offer is called a "Platypus Bottle" (magellans.com---under picnic gear). The one I have is a bit larger, it is called a "Nalgene Cantene" (http://www.Nalgene-outdoor.com), it works the same & like the "Platypus" it collapses for easy packing when empty. I hope they still offer the larger type. Sea/Fab

Archived