Question for Spleen or SueBee

ERNLYN

Considering a Sunday from 8:00am thru 5:00pm, If one wanted to drive around the island beginning and ending at the HNL airport starting at 8am thru 5pm. Does most of the traffic circumnavigating the island seem to flow clockwise or counterclockwise. I'm looking for the direction of least resistance.....

And does one direction vs the other tend to have the better view of the island from a visitors point of view?

We've done several "circles" of Oahu, personally I think the traffic might be a little heavier going counter clockwise(maybe it has something to do with being righthanded?), but really as most of the road is only 2 lane and you can't go very fast anyway, I don't think it matters. Timewise you should have plenty of time for several stops to view scenery and even lunch. I'd say it would take at a minimum four hours, but very easy to take longer depending on length and number of stops.

Thank you gentlemen,

We most likely will go clockwise as I believe that way the sun will be to our back and not in our faces, plus we will finish up at the airport for our flight out....

We are only two weeks away form our trip.....I'am most definitely going to be looking for your famous donut the "malassada" If you have any clues where one might locate this delight in waikiki I would enjoy one for you also.....!

Just wanted to add that traffic usually isn't too bad on Sundays. Emphasis is on usually. If you're in Waikiki, Leonard's would be the closest place for malassadas. They're located on Kapahulu on the right if you're heading from Waikiki. Make sure to enjoy them in the parking lot! Malassadas lose something when they've cooled down.

Just a thought, and I'm not that familiar with HNL .... If you go clockwise, you're crossing most of Honolulu to get back to the airport....traffic's a bit unpredictable there. Counter-clock would drop you at the airport without going through town.

Interesting point, mountainhorse. Traffic IS unpredictable but on H1, I have never been delayed more than 20-30 minutes from what I expected.

Ernlyn, I know the question was posed to me too so here I am (I've been busy entertaining company).

When I do the circle, I always go clockwise. The sun issue is one. Another issue is that we tend to stop at Dole for some pineapple for a snack, the shrimp trucks on the north shore for lunch, Byodo-In temple for a break and to feed the carp (I have kids), and so on....but we usually cross into the mountains (Pali or H3) instead of going all of the way around because of attention spans.

The rest of the trip around is nice and beautiful...but I have always done it on seperate journeys (we usually are going to the Sea Life Park when we are over there).

You asked...there is my answer. I agree about the sun issue, but the direction outside of that is not a huge issue.....both directions are gorgeous.

Did you know that there is a driving tour of Oahu you can pick up? It is a tape/CD that you pop in and it takes you around the island. I think ABC stores have it. I know we can get it on base so I dont know where else to get it....anyone?

Thank you both for the advise. Suebee, I believe we will leave the Airport and get on He and head noertheast to 3 and go aroundto 99 and H2 to H1. In doing this we will miss a couple key sites we were hoping to see on the far east end of the island. I guess we will just have to come back again the see what we miss the first time!!

Coiran, Thanks for the link, Got some good directions for Kauai, and Oahu.

14 more days and we will be there!!

Archived