Ardastra Gardens or Atlantis?? Which One?

rickcop44

We'll be in Nassau on Carnival Valor at the end of February (two healthy adults and one 82 year old lady). I've heard that Atlantis costs $29 pp to get in but what you can see and do is extremely limited. I understand Ardastra Gardens has an entry fee of $12 pp but the walkways are uneven and can be a bit treacherous for an elderly person who is a bit of an unsteady walker to begin with. Is Atlantis worth the admission price or are we better off with Ardastra? Or does someone have a better suggestion? We're there from 7 am to 2 pm. Thanks everyone!

Rickcop44:

I highly recommend Ardastra Gardens. I was on a cruise with my wife several years ago, that made an unscheduled stop in Nassau due to hurricane in Western Caribbean (original route). We had read about the gardens (http://www.ardastra.com) and took a cab from the pier (not expensive). Have the cabbie give you his card or name, and the ticket office at the entrance to Ardastra will call for the driver when you're ready to leave. I don't recall the walkways being uneven but they could be. However, I'm taking my 84 year old mother on a cruise in 2 weeks that stops in Nassau and plan to take her to Ardastra. The marching flamingos are not to be missed! When my wife and I were there, the gardens were still recovering from some high winds/storms so vegetation was not as nice as it normally probably is.

Re Atlantis, I've heard the same thing as you mentioned; like when I was a child going with my parents into a gift shop; you can look, but don't touch! So I don't have a real urge to go to Atlantis, but that's just me and i can understand if folks feel otherwise.

If my Mom and I do go to Atlantis, I'll try to remember to report back re the condition of the walkways.

Thanks secrui. I have also heard that Ardastra has a sort of "petting zoo" where people can touch certain animals. My wife would love that as she is a touchy, feely type person. Please post your thoughts when you return.

Thanks secrui. I have also heard that Ardastra has a sort of "petting zoo" where people can touch certain animals. My wife would love that as she is a touchy, feely type person. Please post your thoughts when you return.

Yes, flamingos, peacocks, pot bellied pigs and other small animals roam freely. They have feeding times with lorry parakeets also.. which is loads of fun. Big Parrots and cocktiels to feed and talk to.. all up close and personal.

The marching flamingoes are a riot..

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same question and after several days of reading posts on this site I've decided to do the Gardens. I don't have the elderly angle but we have children. From what I've read Atlantis is not worth the $$. Too bad you don't have the evening. I also found out it (Atlantis)is free after 6pm. We may do that. If we get to do both I'll let you know which we liked better!:D

I visited Ardastra last year. The layout is essentially flat with minor slopes and a few low steps. There are some narrow pathways which can usually be detoured around. Unless it's terribly wet an 82-yr old could negotiate it with a little help.

You don't want to initiate contact with any wild animal unless explicitly encouraged, but some of the encounters last year included:

Lory feeding 3x/day, you are given apple slices to hold, extend your arm, and the birds perch on your arm to feed. Very colorful birds.

Opportunities to be photographed with macaws and cockatoos perched on you.

The pot-bellied pig is free-roaming and friendly.

The flamingos are not to be touched, but they wander around freely and you can stand next to them.

"Marching flamingo" show 3x/day. Flamingos are not known for their trainability. This performance must have taken endless patience.

Animals include a variety of birds, reptiles, and small mammals, including cats as big as jaguar (do NOT attempt to touch the cats). Cages seem ample and well laid-out. Staff is friendly and knowledgable. Nice little gift shop.

There's enough there to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.

Archived