Looking for hotel suggestions...Ft Lauderdale, Miami or Key Largo?

Jeanne B

DH, DD14 and I will have 2 or 3 nights to spend in Florida after our mid-Dec cruise (out of Ft Lauderdale) and I'm trying to decide where to stay. I would love to go to Key West but it's too far to drive for that short a time. We'll be renting a car if necessary, would prefer beachfront, since our DD will be with us I was thinking it would be fun to go to the Miami zoo so I'm leaning towards staying right in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area rather than drive to Key Largo. I hear Key Largo isn't as tropical as Key West and I was also surprised to read that the beaches in the Keys aren't sandy and they're not very big, I've always had this image of Caribbean style beaches.

Any hotel recommendations or advice on staying in Ft Lauderdale vs Miami vs Key Largo? Any family-oriented type hotel suggestions? Thanks!! :)

You definitely have time to go to Key West, if you want to, as it is about a 4 hour drive. Just make sure you leave LOTS of time on your way back as US1 sometimes gets horribly backed up. Don't let it deter you though - I've done the drive countless times and only a few times have I been seriously delayed and then it was mostly on weekends (road is a zoo then). There are indeed nice, sandy beaches there and the keys water is that gorgeous turquoise colour in lots of places :) You can find some good info on the town's site (http://www.keywest.com). The Pier House Resort is a good bet as it is on Duval Street, which is where all the action is, and it has its own private beach. The rooms are fairly modest but it is soo conveneient for everything. For a little more upscale, it's tough to beat an oceanview balcony suite at Ocean Key Resort, also on Duval and right across the street from the Pier House. I like it there quite a bit. The Westin is worth looking into, as they have a private island, reserved for hotel guests and a few residents, called Sunset Key. You can stay on the island (pricey but I love it out there ), or stay at their in-town hotel and have access to the island during the day (24/7 water shuttle). Have fun!

Any hotel recommendations on staying in Ft Lauderdale? Any family-oriented type hotel suggestions? Thanks!! :)

My choice would be ocean front lodging in Hollywood Beach. Hollywood Beach is known as a family beach with a multitude of family owned hotels directly on the ocean. The turquoise ocean, well groomed beaches, 2 1/2 mile broadwalk, nearby restaurants can't be beat. It's hard to believe this beach is less then 15 minutes from FLL. A great location with easy access to highways if you opt to explore SoFla.

For lodging click on this link then click on "hotels":

http://www.visithollywood.org/

Hollywood looks like a great choice also, I guess we need to decide between the Keys or the FLL area and then choose accomodations. We're not going until Dec so we have plenty of time to decide.

Thanks for the input, always appreciated!!:)

Hollywood beach is nice but a bit disconnected and doesnt have the same cool infrastructure as Lauderdale beach. It's ok if you are staying there but you wont get the same expanded activity/dining/strolling that you will in Lauderdale. It is worth it, IMO, to stay in Lauderdale beach over Hollywood and as a bonus, you are really close to the airport/port. Bargain hotels abound too as well as medium and higher priced rooms. Lauderdale beach is as good too, (I walk it frequently). Have fun!

Oh, and your teen will be WAY happier in Lauderdale Beach , (there will be lots of ppl around and it is just very conducive to good, safe fun for everyone :)

Archived