going on my very first cruise! finally!!!!!

ohmissfl

Hi everyone!

I'm 50 years old and going on my very first cruise in March on Carnival Cruise--going with my niece and her husband and rooming with her friend. My hubby does not choose to go on a cruise--so when this came along--he told me to hop on it. I've never been on a cruise--but it's been my dream for a very long time! I've booked one excursion so far(Stingray City Sandbar Swim and Snorkel) and plan to book a few more. If the others don't want to go on the ones I want to: 1. Will I still have fun? 2.) Is it safe to go alone

3.) Will I meet people around my age? I'm 50 but going on 40---Would like any input to help me out...thanks

Hi everyone!

I'm 50 years old and going on my very first cruise in March on Carnival Cruise--going with my niece and her husband and rooming with her friend. My hubby does not choose to go on a cruise--so when this came along--he told me to hop on it. I've never been on a cruise--but it's been my dream for a very long time! I've booked one excursion so far(Stingray City Sandbar Swim and Snorkel) and plan to book a few more. If the others don't want to go on the ones I want to: 1. Will I still have fun? 2.) Is it safe to go alone

3.) Will I meet people around my age? I'm 50 but going on 40---Would like any input to help me out...thanks

Your asking questions that depend more upon you than us providing an answer.

Will you have fun, that is up to you. Is it safe to go alone, yes, you are still with a group, just don't wander off. Will you meet people? Again, up to you...

Hi everyone!

you started off on the right note by finding this place.......best advice, find the roll call for your sailing and start chatting with those you are traveling with......you just might find others in the same situation with the same likes/background. And you can hook up with other groups. If you have trouble finding the roll call.....give us your ship sail date....someone will link it for you.

Do what you want, it's your vacation........everyone has different likes/desires, so you won't get everyone on the same page.....do your thing and when your paths cross, it'll make that moment more enjoyable. The last thing you want is to be around someone that is in a mood because they are doing something they don't want to do. Whenever my SIL would start to get in a mood.....my wife and I would say "see ya later" and go do our thing..............she had a good time but spent half the time sulking in her cabin......go figure that one:confused: .................we on the other hand....HAD A BLAST!!!!

Another piece of advise..........start looking for a friend to go with you on your next one (if hubby won't)....................because there will be more!!!LOL

Hi everyone!

I've always found that it's very difficult NOT to have fun on a cruise. (Although if you read these board long enough you'll find that some people some people manage to do so).

Excursions are run by professional tour operators who depend on safety and fun to stay in business. We've been to Stingray City and have found it safe, fun and a once in a lifetime experience.

You might want to visit the Rollcall section of these boards to get to know some of the other people on your cruise.

you started off on the right note by finding this place.......best advice, find the roll call for your sailing and start chatting with those you are traveling with......you just might find others in the same situation with the same likes/background. And you can hook up with other groups. If you have trouble finding the roll call.....give us your ship sail date....someone will link it for you.

Do what you want, it's your vacation........everyone has different likes/desires, so you won't get everyone on the same page.....do your thing and when your paths cross, it'll make that moment more enjoyable. The last thing you want is to be around someone that is in a mood because they are doing something they don't want to do. Whenever my SIL would start to get in a mood.....my wife and I would say "see ya later" and go do our thing..............she had a good time but spent half the time sulking in her cabin......go figure that one:confused: .................we on the other hand....HAD A BLAST!!!!

Another piece of advise..........start looking for a friend to go with you on your next one (if hubby won't)....................because there will be more!!!LOL

Thank you for the help--I do plan on having a blast and won't let anyone in my party stop me--LOL--that's a fact! I can't find the roll call--I am going on Carnival Cruise on March 10-17th on Legends of the Sea out of Tampa. Also, how do people get the countdown on there posts? I think that's pretty cool. As far as you SIL goes, why would anyone want to go on a cruise and stay in the cabin and sulk? UGH!

Good for you!! My hubby doesn't want to cruise either, but that hasn't stopped me either!! I am cruising in Feb on my third cruise without my husband. I took my oldest daughter on my very first cruise (2000), she was 7 at the time. I am considering taking all three of my girls in November while my husband is hunting.

Anyway.....have a great time, do all you can do and expeirence all you can!!

Hello Ohmissfl - You will have a great time. I can't imagine a cruise that isn't fun. Which ship are you going on and for how long?

Definitely go to the roll call for your ship on Cruise-Critic to sign up for the meet and mingle. I will be doing my first meet and mingle in April but by the sounds of it, people have had a great time meeting other people.

One word of suggestion - prepare yourself JUST in case you get sea sickness. Whether you think you will get it or not, be prepared. Sometimes you hit rough seas or you are just prone to it. If you need to see the ship's doctor on the cruise it can be really expensive. I went on my first cruise when I was 21 and was sick the entire time so I didn't have a chance to enjoy it. At that time I wore the Sea Bands. They helped but not much. After that I said I would never take a cruise again. Then a couple of years ago the family begged me to go on a cruise so I figured I would suffer for 8 days just so they could have fun. I had heard about the patches so I called my doctor and asked for the prescription (Transderm Scop). It worked fabulous! I used it again for another cruise a year later and plan to use it again this Spring.

Thank you for the help--I do plan on having a blast and won't let anyone in my party stop me--LOL--that's a fact! I can't find the roll call--I am going on Carnival Cruise on March 10-17th on Legends of the Sea out of Tampa. Also, how do people get the countdown on there posts? I think that's pretty cool. As far as you SIL goes, why would anyone want to go on a cruise and stay in the cabin and sulk? UGH!

The Legend of the Seas out of Tampa is Royal Caribbean....here is a link to your roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=321927 .............have a great time and most important........don't pre-judge Carnival because of what you might hear on that ship LOL!!! Book a Carnival upon your return and determine for yourself....

Welcome to the Wonderful world of cruising!!!

Welcome to CC.. seems you are sailing on Royal Caribbean.. your role call is here..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=321927

Have a great cruise!! You can goto the help boards regarding the countdown clocks!!

I am going on Carnival Cruise--Legends of the Sea--March 10-17th and going to Mexico--I don't know how to get to the mingling part of this...any help?

You are not going on Carnival.. I will be on the Carnival Legend leaving March 16th:)

Click on the link in the post above and it will bring you to your roll call.

Hello Ohmissfl - You will have a great time. I can't imagine a cruise that isn't fun. What is the name of the ship you are going on?

Definitely go to the roll call for your ship on Cruise-Critic to sign up for the meet and mingle. I will be doing my first meet and mingle in April but by the sounds of it, people have had a great time meeting other people. You can go to the 'Roll Call' Forum and search for your particular cruise.

One word of suggestion - prepare yourself JUST in case you get sea sickness. Whether you think you will get it or not, be prepared. Sometimes you hit rough seas or you are just prone to it. If you need to see the ship's doctor on the cruise it can be really expensive. I went on my first cruise when I was 21 and was sick the entire time so I didn't have a chance to enjoy it. At that time I wore the Sea Bands. They helped but not much. After that I said I would never take a cruise again. Then a couple of years ago the family begged me to go on a cruise so I figured I would suffer for 8 days just so they could have fun. I had heard about the patches so I called my doctor and asked for the prescription (Transderm Scop). It worked fabulous! I used it again for another cruise a year later and plan to use it again this Spring.

Archived