car seats in stateroom ?

Paleochick

Do you have to store the car seats you use on the airplane in the stateroom or will the ship (Carnival, in my case) store them for you? We'll have two. With the crib and the car seats I can't imagine we'll have any walking space in our cabin. Thanks.

The cabin steward will probably be able to store them for you. If not, you may be able to stick them on the shelf above the closet, or stash them in a corner someplace. Or you could take along a couple of S-hooks and hang them from the ceiling! ;)

We're bringing a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 specifically because it folds. No WAY do I want to fight my way around the Britax every time I want to get anywhere, and I think our close space is going to be tight with the suitcases, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My nephew will be 18 months old when we travel. Did you have to take your carseat with you on all excursions or did they provide them with excursions,or did you just hold your baby? Can't imagine having to carry the carseat to beach and have it in the sand all day!! Any help and tips would be great! Thanks, Erin

My nephew will be 18 months old when we travel. Did you have to take your carseat with you on all excursions or did they provide them with excursions,or did you just hold your baby? Can't imagine having to carry the carseat to beach and have it in the sand all day!! Any help and tips would be great! Thanks, Erin

These things keep me awake at night too. From what I've read on these message boards, it all depends. It depends on the island/area you're at, whether you're on a big tour bus, whether you're in a taxi, etc. We plan to book tours that take buses so we don't have to worry about it (most big buses = no car seats). I would HATE to take a taxi and not use a car seat, so we'll take the bus excursions.

Where will you be cruising? I'll be in Freeport, Bahamas; Grand Cayman; and Costa Maya, Mexico. Perhaps someone will know the rules or have advice for our ports.

We are leaving out of Ft.Lauderdale April 1st, going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel and Key West. I guess we will just have to carry the car seat around. I have heard there are some crazy taxi drivers in other countries! Thanks for the reply, Erin

I have cruised with my son at 8 months and 2 1/2 years old. The only carseat we found available was a through Jeep excursion on Grand Cayman Island. It was a private comapny excursion so we were able to speak with the company who informed us of the carseat option.

Otherwise, if you go on any excursion through your cruise line, they usually have no clue. We bought a portable carseat for our Western Caribbean cruise when DS was 2 1/2. The seat was so complicated and the seatbelts in the van were so twisted, we were never able to attach the thing.

Bottom line is you probably have to lug your own seat around or go without. Even so, know how to attach the seat without using the latch system. It is a little more complex when attaching with seatbelts only.

Good Luck!

Archived