Shopping - Progresso or Playa del Carmen?

jc42

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say we just loved Progresso. My girls each bought a dress and I a top and my 18 year old a beautiful inlaid chess see and all of us some jewelry. There was also shopping along the beach which was beautiful, and along the side streets leading to the beach. Yes, it does seem that the fashions are similiar but the styles of dresses were the same as in Cozumel and Belize - style is style. We loved Progresso.

We loved Progresso. My girls each bought a dress and my 18 year old an inlaid chess set and I a top and all of us some jewelry. There were more shops along the beach and more also along the side streets on the way to the beach. The beach was beautiful white sand and uncrowded. The people were exceptionally friendly and we felt we were buying from independant vendors instead of big store keepers. The prices were better than Cozumel or Belize. Yes, the dresses were much the same pattern but style is style and we found the same pattern over and over in Cozumel and Belize as well. We would go back again to Progresso

• 2 weeks later...
We are going in March and are wondering which port offers the best shopping? What should we look for in each port?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Just got back from our Ecstasy cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. Cinco Soles store opened this week on the pier in Progresso. This store offers quality merchandise without bartering. The store has been a mainstay in Cozumel for years.

I also like Cinco Sole and glad they have opened in Progreso. I would HATE to see an influx of the usual cruise stores come to Progreso though. I just would hate the idea of turning Progreso into another Cancun or Cozumel.

hi jim d,

sailing to progresso/cozumel in late april on the ecstacy. how was the ship (nice-bad)? in progresso i'd like to see the ruins ,but not up for a long drive and would hate the miss the ship. any good info you can provide ? thanks! gg:rolleyes:

hi jim d,

sailing to progresso/cozumel in late april on the ecstacy. how was the ship (nice-bad)? in progresso i'd like to see the ruins ,but not up for a long drive and would hate the miss the ship. any good info you can provide ? thanks! gg:rolleyes:

The Ecstasy has excursions to the ruins and there are tour operators on the pier that you can make arrangements with for your tours at a cheaper price than the ships. We enjoyed Progresso market which is laid back and its fun to bargain for gifts. The vendors were not at all pushy. There is a double decker bus with a narrator that takes you around this town for $2 a person. Well worth it. Suggest you take a look at the other commnents on this web site for tour costs. In reference to the Ecstasy, it wasn't our cup of tea as we thought that it was geared for the young folks of which there were many. The food and stateroom service was great.

I should have mentioned that in Merida, you can find good selections of silver and Talevara made in Puebla. Also I've bght some unique nativity sets, high quality Panama hats and the typical Guayabera shirts.

Archived