Hawaii Cheat Sheet

ROCruiser

I just wanted to add my thanks to everyone that has posted on this thread....it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:cool: There is so much information here and the links help so much!!!!!!! You all are absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
Have any of you who have already gone to Hawaii on a cruise found this to be of value? We are going in February, can't wait, and I'm trying to decide if I should order one or not. We are not on NCL but Princess. Thanks for this amazing site of info!

Renee

Well, we certainly did (ours saved us $72 on our luau during our pre-cruise Oahu stay, plus another $21 off dinner at our hotel the night we arrived), but it may depend on your itinerary. If you visit www.entertainment.com, you can input Hawaii and see the coupons/offers in the book. That way you could decide if there's anything there to make it worth your while.

My procrastination paid off -- I waited to order the 2008 book. It's now $10 off ($25 instead of $35) with free shipping. And if you need more than one book, additional books are $15.

Just the Polynesian Cultural Center, Might Mo and Bowfin coupons will more than pay for the book. I didn't see anything too exciting in the dining coupons but if you like Pizza Hut, there are A LOT of free medium pizza coupons :eek:

As for eating in Kauai, has anyone had a Puka Dog?? I'll be on the POAm Nov '08. One day I noticed on either Food Network or Travel Channel they had a special about this place.

It's sounds really great, especially the specialty relishes & I'm hoping to stop by depending where I'll end up being in Kauai.

the website is www.pukadog.com if anyone's interested

anyone been??

*just noticed it's also in Oahu

• 3 weeks later...
My procrastination paid off -- I waited to order the 2008 book. It's now $10 off ($25 instead of $35) with free shipping. And if you need more than one book, additional books are $15. :eek:

I was on the entertainment site and when I put in "3" for the number of books it extended out the subtotal to $75, so $25 each. How did you get the extra books at $15 each? I was thinking of getting the books for the PCC and since there's 6 adults, we'd get 3 books.

• Administrators
I was on the entertainment site and when I put in "3" for the number of books it extended out the subtotal to $75, so $25 each. How did you get the extra books at $15 each? I was thinking of getting the books for the PCC and since there's 6 adults, we'd get 3 books.

Before you do that, read the fine print on the PCC coupon -- MANY of the Entertainment coupons have small print that says "up to six tickets" or eight tickets, or whatever. Be sure you actually need more than one book for your party.

Hooked -on-travel -- I put in that I wanted one book and when I went to "check-out" it offered me another for $15. I'm probably a dummy but I didn't get the 2nd book. PCC was the only coupon that I really wanted. The other ones I knew we would use were Bowfin and Mighty Mo. They are both up to four persons per coupon so we're good there.

I called PCC and used my coupon today. They charge your credit card the full price and then give you a refund when you present the coupon. 24-hour cancellation notice, no charge.

Thank you ROCruiser for starting this thread and everyone who answered. I recognized some names from when we went and who helped me with my questions. We sailed on Pride of Hawaii in Oct 2006 had a great time and would love to go back. Brought back memories reading everyone's favourite places to see.

We are hoping to sail on the Radiance this May so fingers crossed.

C:)

Kona:

Snorkel at the Captain Cook Monument – currently the only approach is from the sea.

night dive with the Manta Rays

Drink coffee.

Place of Refuge (Puo'honaunau?) correction: Pu'uhonua O Honaunau - also take in the Painted Church while you are in the area

Some other possibilities:

tour of Parker Ranch historic homes in Waimea

horseback riding on the open ranges upcountry - mostly in and around Waimea

tour of the Hulihe'e Palace and the church across the street

snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach Park

spend the day at A-Bay - lots of beach activities, snorkeling, parasailing, etc.

visit a coffee plantation - Greenwell's and the Kona Historical Society are good ones and close to each other

visit the old sugar plantation towns up at the Northern end of the island - Hawi and Kapa'au, see the original King Kamehameha statute

visit the last major heiau (temple) built in Hawaii - Pu'ukohola - at Spenser Beach Park in Kohala

Eating:

Merrimans in Waimea and Waikoloa King's Shops, Tommy Bahamas at the Shops at Mauna Lani, Bubba Gumps in Kona (mostly for the setting - you can see the yellow tangs in the surf, and sometimes turtles on the lava fingers right below the outdoor dining area), O's in the Crossroad's Shopping Center where the Safeway is, Quinn's Almost by the Sea across from the King Kamehameha Hotel, Roy's at the King's Shops in Waikoloa, Brown's Beach House at the Orchid Mauna Lani, the Bamboo in Hawi, Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae (and Hilo), the Aloha Theater Cafe in Kainaliu. For fabulous ice cream - Tropical Dreams in Hawi, Cold Stone Creamery in Kona next to O's.

Shopping: Try the International Market in Kona - there's a shuttle from the pier - for local crafts (check things carefully, though - there are a fair number of imports there as well), The Gallery of Great Things in Waimea, Reyn's for high quality aloha wear, Ross for discounted aloha wear, Hawi and Honoka'a have lots of boutiques and galleries and craft places, Parker Ranch Store in Waimea has some 'Hawaiian Cowboy' stuff that is pretty unique.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I would bump this up to the top. It has some great hints and advice.

I am hiring a car on the first day in Maui can anyone recommend some nice beaches to visit. Just looking for some nice beaches to swim and relax at for a few hours. I have already done the Road to Hana.

Also, any good shopping malls to visit other than the ones the shuttle bus takes you to. Planning on taking the shuttle bus on the second day.

Just thought I would bump this up to the top. It has some great hints and advice.

I am hiring a car on the first day in Maui can anyone recommend some nice beaches to visit. Just looking for some nice beaches to swim and relax at for a few hours. I have already done the Road to Hana.

Also, any good shopping malls to visit other than the ones the shuttle bus takes you to. Planning on taking the shuttle bus on the second day.

It IS a great thread. I would have missed it. Thanks for bumping it up!:D

on the first day in Maui can anyone recommend some nice beaches to visit. Just looking for some nice beaches to swim and relax at for a few hours.

I would highly recommend the beaches in South Maui in the Wailea/Makena area (but not in the Kihei area). Last week, we visited Big Beach in Makena, and Wailea Beach in front of the ritzy resorts in Wailea. Big Beach had no real facilities - there were port-a-potties, and a trailer selling beverages, shave ice, and snacks, but there were no gear rental kiosks. But it was the better beach in terms of water clarity, waves, sand, and crowds.

On Wailea Beach, it was more crowded, but lots of facilities available at the resorts (technically they're for the resort guests, but you can use the bathroom there). I saw a rental hut for boards, etc. but I don't know if non-resort guests could rent from it.

There's also Kaanapali Beach in West Maui, but we didn't visit it this time.

JAlso, any good shopping malls to visit other than the ones the shuttle bus takes you to.

The shops at the Grand Wailea were very impressive. The abc store there was the best-kept abc store we saw all week; it didn't have that 7-Eleven feel like the others. I almost couldn't get my wife out of the Betsey Johnson store. Like she needs another purse!

Archived