Umbrellas? Binoculars??

dakrewser

We were in a VS and were not provided with binoculars. I will say that the free binoculars provided on HAL are worthless...my mother has a pair, and the optics are terrible. I always bring my own. There were 2 compact umrellas on the top shelf of the closet, but we did not use them.

We were in a VS and were not provided with binoculars. I will say that the free binoculars provided on HAL are worthless...

I can't say I found them "worthless" - and it certainly saves weight in the luggage. But the umbrellas will be sorely missed....

One can purchase inexpensive, yet effective umbrellas and binoculars to take on a cruise. We saw a decent set of binoculars at Walgreens for less than $10. And, umbrellas are also inexpensive and neither item weighs too much to put you over the weight limit. The ponchos are another great idea if you are thinking of hiking into some rain forest settings, both in the tropics and in Alaska.

Jim

I can't say I found them "worthless" - and it certainly saves weight in the luggage. But the umbrellas will be sorely missed....
We had umbrellas in our suite...just didn't notice them on the top shelf of the closet (along with the shoe brush and a few other odds and ends) until the end of the cruise, and we had packed lightweight rain gear anyways. I checked the princess website, and umbrellas are also listed as a suite amenity.

Here is the full listing of what to expect:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na828&submit=pk

Enjoy!!:)

I tend to be really picky about optics, as I enjoy spending my sea days watching for wildlife, so I always bring my own binoculars along.

Whale-watcher, what is the make and size of your binoculars?

I am thinking of buying a new pair.

Thanks

Steve

I ran across another thread a couple of weeks ago that has great advice on buying binoculars. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=455029

It's so detailed (maybe too detailed for my poor brain:confused: ). But before our next cruise to Alaska I'm checking this thread out!

Archived