Air Vs. Nitrox

Pilot70D

I'm nitrox certified.

I'd say that 90% of my dives have been on air.

I generally will consider using nitrox if I'm on a multi day dive trip making 2 or more dives a day over the course of a week. In Cozumel I've used 36% nitrox on the second dive of the day. I would definitely choose to use nitrox on a liveaboard where I'd have the chance to do up to 5 dives a day.

I would probably not use nitrox on a cruise where I'd only get the chance to dive 2 or 3 times.

I use both air and nitrox. I do feel less fatigue while diving with nitrox but the experts say this is "all in your head". I also believe nitrox can decrease your chances of a DCS hit and safety is the main reason I use it.Of course nitrox can become dangerous at depth so I pretty much dive air past 125 feet.Some of my buddies drop down to 27-28 % for our technical dives in the Lake Jocassee.SC "graveyard" but where does the risk of oxygen toxcity poisoning outweigh the benefits of nitrox?I feel nitrox is a very useful tool to increase the enjoyment and safety of your diving as long as you are properly trained and FULLY understand the depth limitations.

Where NITROX is available, I prefer it to air. However, I also prefer to dive in places less visited, therfore the availability of NITROX is always a problem. Recently, for instance, while diving in French Polynesia, I scheduled NITROX dives in Moorea, Raitea and Bora Bora with a operation that advertised NITROX. One of the operation's compressors was down, so all they had available was air on one of the islands. On Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva, the dive operations only offered air, and because of the expense of NITROX equipment, had no plans in the immediate future to offer NITROX. Even in the Caribbean, NITROX is not always easy to find. So I always carry two sets of tables, one air and one EAN, as well as a multi-function dive computer which will compute for both air and EAN.;)

We dive both ... places like Bonaire where we're doing lots of days of multi-dives we will use Nitrox, on cruise ships dives we may do the first dive air, the 2nd Nitrox - especially if we're doing 4 ports in a row, and depending on availability.

Archived