suite question

badger71

we are thinking of our first hal cruise next yr. we have been on princess, norwegian, and celebrity. what is the difference between an ss and sv suite on the westerdam? thanks:)

Hello, Badger:

The Westerdam has Deluxe Verandah Suite categories SA, SB, and SC. It also has Superior Verandah Suite categories SS, SY, and SZ. Contrary to what you might think, the Deluxe Suites are actually superior to the Superior Suites.

Have I confused you, yet?

The Deluxe suites are larger, and have access to amenities that the Superior suites do not. But I understand that the Superior suites are very nice, roomy cabins, and of course, they are less expensive than the Deluxe suites.

Bon Voyage:)

Karin

Contrary to what you might think, the Deluxe Suites are actually superior to the Superior Suites.

I never have understood why folks often state that would be "contrary to what one would think."...

In the hospitality business, Deluxes are always higher than Superiors. Mandarin Oriental categorize their suites the same way - and Four Seasons Hotels also consider Deluxe rooms/suites higher than Superior rooms/suites (just to give two examples...)

In the hospitality business, Deluxes are always higher than Superiors.

I would imagine that "superior" just means superior to a standard stateroom and not necessarily to another suite. I really wish, though, that HAL would clearly delineate the differences in their cabins, by some method other than all these letter combinations. Oh, the letters are fine for regular staterooms ... insides of certain categories denote their location on the ship ... higher deck versus lower one, etc. But with the suites, they really need a better way to make the differences clear to the consumer. Such as Veranda Staterooms as opposed to Veranda Suites. They shouldn't be called suites. Then Junior or Mini Suites to denote the suites that are suites, but don't have as much room nor the ammenities of the full suites ... and then finally Deluxe Suites to indicate those 500 square foot plus puppies that get all the suite ammenities.

I can well imagine that there are quite a few people ... especially ones not on cruise critic and perhaps having air head travel agents ... who book a "Veranda Suite" and come onboard thinking they are gonna get all the suite perks. I imagine they are none too pleased when they find out that, in fact, they don't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi, Brian...quick question, please?

I've read that you usually book an SS. We have an SY on the Noordam and was wondering if the flat screen swivels? Thanks a million.

Karen ;)

I never have understood why folks often state that would be "contrary to what one would think."...

In the hospitality business, Deluxes are always higher than Superiors. Mandarin Oriental categorize their suites the same way - and Four Seasons Hotels also consider Deluxe rooms/suites higher than Superior rooms/suites (just to give two examples...)

I can well imagine that there are quite a few people ... especially ones not on cruise critic and perhaps having air head travel agents ... who book a "Veranda Suite" and come onboard thinking they are gonna get all the suite perks. I imagine they are none too pleased when they find out that, in fact, they don't.

Oh, but they do get Suite Perks...

...just not the Deluxe Suite perks.

;)

See I would think that the "superior" category would be better . As in it is superior to the other accomodations.

Like Walter Matthau said in "Out to Sea " about deluxe accomodations

"Deluxe is a tricky word. In the diner it just means "comes with fries" " :)

Hi, Brian...quick question, please?

I've read that you usually book an SS. We have an SY on the Noordam and was wondering if the flat screen swivels? Thanks a million.

Karen ;)

Karen--

Sure does - they turn quite a bit too.

(unlike the smaller TV's in the lesser staterooms which do not spin at all)

Plus, much better to sit next to at the desk than the giganto-box TV's that were on the ships before!

See I would think that the "superior" category would be better . As in it is superior to the other accomodations.

Like Walter Matthau said in "Out to Sea " about deluxe accomodations

"Deluxe is a tricky word. In the diner it just means "comes with fries" " :)

Price difference is a sure giveaway.

Most people would guess that if a Deluxe Suite cost 50-90% more than a Superior, it probably is a better accomodation. :) Prices usually reflect which is the more luxurious and offers the most amenities.

I've booked an SA on the Noordam 3/31 and I don't trust my travel agent's word. :confused: I've read the HAL website for what the deluxe suite offers but my agent has added more details than the brochure. I know I get laundry, concierge ... BUT

Has anyone had personal experience with the Neptune Lounge? My agent told me they offer free soda, coffee and alcoholic beverages. I'm very sceptical. Also do we get a better rate for massages or spa services?

My agent also has changed my cabin number from 7071 to 7063 and my table from a 4 seating to an 8.

Unfortunately it's too late to change agents!

Thanks, Traci

I've booked an SA on the Noordam 3/31 and I don't trust my travel agent's word. :confused: I've read the HAL website for what the deluxe suite offers but my agent has added more details than the brochure. I know I get laundry, concierge ... BUT

Has anyone had personal experience with the Neptune Lounge? My agent told me they offer free soda, coffee and alcoholic beverages. I'm very sceptical. Also do we get a better rate for massages or spa services?

My agent also has changed my cabin number from 7071 to 7063 and my table from a 4 seating to an 8.

Thanks, Traci

The value added proposition of the dlx suites is very subjective. For our family, we will not sail HAL without the use of the Neptune Lounge, for us it is just that wonderful. The use of the lounge for snacks, games, or just socializing is fantastic. They have wonderful coffee and desserts, but I do not remember any alcoholic beverages. All of this, plus the laundry, would be enough, but the concierge staff is the very best you will ever find. They are knowledgable, friendly, and willing to go the extra mile to help with whatever you might need. Don't hesitate to really enjoy yourself, this class of suite is like a cruise within a cruise and is truly great.

I don't remember any discounts for spa services, but I do know that a certain amount of dinner and spa reservations are held out for the use of the dlx suite guests.

Thanks, Traci

We used the Neptune Lounge and concierges a lot last year. They can make change for you, book tours, fix your card key if it de-magnetizes (about 4 times between the 3 of us over a week) - pretty much anything everyone else has to go to the front desk to do. :) There's a specialty coffee machine in there for lattes, espresso, etc. and usually juice and chilled water but no free alcohol (except for the free cocktails at the party with the captain) or soda available in there. There are light food items throughout the day. There are couches and reading material in there along with a tv. It's similar to what you'd find on the club level in some land based hotels.

If you read the website info, it tells you that you'll be able to get hot hors d'oeuvres and afternoon tea. You'll find some items in the Neptune Lounge but the concierge can put in an order to have that delivered to your cabin. I forgot to do that assuming that what they had in the Neptune was it but my TA told me when I got home that when you order it for your cabin, you get hot appetizers they don't have in the Lounge.

And while some cruise lines will give their suite customers discounts on spa treatments, you don't get any breaks by being in a SA on HAL. But the concierge can book the appointment for you. :D

As far as the change in cabin, I think you're ok with the new location. I wouldn't want any of the cabins directly next to the mid-ship glass elevators. You can see right on to the verandahs of those cabins. There's no privacy divider between the elevator and the first cabins on either side. You'll still have a cabin between you and the elevators in the new assignment.

Has anyone had personal experience with the Neptune Lounge? My agent told me they offer free soda, coffee and alcoholic beverages. I'm very sceptical.

As you should be - there are no free alcoholic drinks in the Neptune other than the Champagne you get when you attend the Suite Pax cocktail party.

Neptune Lounge offers free coffee (fabulous espresso/capuccino) machine. Juices in the morning and iced tea and I think maybe lemonade during the day.

During the Suite Cocktail Party, there is an open bar.

They pass a tray with red wine, white wine and champagne. If, at the Suite Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, you would like a specific drink, most requests are happily honored. They don't have a huge bar there with every brand known to man but there is a very ample selection. Ask a steward or bartender for your choice and I'm sure they will try to accomodate you.

No.......they are not pouring Dom Perignon. I seriously doubt any of us would expect them to. Let's be reasonable. :)

It's a very nice party and we always look forward to it. It's disappointing on the cruises when it isn't run on embarkation night. I realize the duties of the Captain sometimes make it impossible for him to be at a cocktail party if he is needed on the Bridge.

I'm sure the party is very nice and a good time is had by all. I would never expect a high-end champagne at a comp party.

We booked the SY for our December 1 Noordam cruise, which will be our first on HAL. Right now, the difference between the SY and the SC is $1400.

I am always looking for the price difference to lower, because I'd love to upgrade to a full suite, who wouldn't? I do have a feeling, however, that since the Noordam is so popular, any upgrades are going to be few and far between, but I'll continue to have my TA check as the months go on.

In my book, $1400 will buy a lotta lattes, laundry and libation. ;)

Archived