Excursion in Callao Lima, Peru

Licia

Good morning.

I was wondering if someone could help me.

My husband and I are traveling on the March South America cruise Santiago- Acapulco.

We have signed up for the Grand Lima City tour.

First I was wondering what do we do with all our cameras that day, I've read that they are not allowed in to the Museum. Does someone hold them for you, or do they just ask you not to use them.

Are tennis shoes not allowed

And secondly I'd like to ask someone that has taken this excursion, what the last stop is before taking you back to the ship. Is it the Indian Market?

I understand downtowun is a godd 45 minutes away from the ship, and we would like to stay behind in the city, meeting friends that live there (for dinner) and heading back to the ship on our own, since we don't sail til the next day at 2 pm

There isn't a problem staying out late is there? And where do you get back on the bus to go back to the port, so we can let our friends know where to meet us. (Have never been there ourselves)

thanks Licia

looking forward to visiting wonderful and interesting places.

you can write me privately if you prefer , thanks roadrunner07@rcn.com

oh thirdly, no licqor on board right???????? What a shame, heard Chile has wonderful wines, toooooooo bad.

Good morning.

I was wondering if someone could help me.

My husband and I are traveling on the March South America cruise Santiago- Acapulco.

We have signed up for the Grand Lima City tour.

First I was wondering what do we do with all our cameras that day, I've read that they are not allowed in to the Museum. Does someone hold them for you, or do they just ask you not to use them.

Are tennis shoes not allowed

And secondly I'd like to ask someone that has taken this excursion, what the last stop is before taking you back to the ship. Is it the Indian Market?

I understand downtowun is a godd 45 minutes away from the ship, and we would like to stay behind in the city, meeting friends that live there (for dinner) and heading back to the ship on our own, since we don't sail til the next day at 2 pm

There isn't a problem staying out late is there? And where do you get back on the bus to go back to the port, so we can let our friends know where to meet us. (Have never been there ourselves)

thanks Licia

looking forward to visiting wonderful and interesting places.

you can write me privately if you prefer , thanks roadrunner07@rcn.com

oh thirdly, no licqor on board right???????? What a shame, heard Chile has wonderful wines, toooooooo bad.

Email or phone Luis at Hotel San Antonio Abad. He will be able to arrange something where you will not have to go back to the ship. http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

We have stayed at the hotel frequently on business trips to SA. In November, Infinity repo cruise, Luis arranged a van for 6 of us. It cost us $20.00 each + tips. We could go anyplace in Lima we wanted-the driver stayed with the car and we left packages and cameras in the car if we didn't want to carry them. We spent most of our time at the market, but took a drive through Miraflores, went to the LarcoMar shopping center for lunch (great food and great views). Enjoy!!!

I must be on the wrong board. I'm looking for someone that may have recently taken this excursion with Princess, and what order the stops were.

I'm going to guess, that the last stop before returning to the ship is the Indian Market.

Here...is where we would say good bye to the tour guide, and stay in the city for dinner. I was wondering how safe it was, and what the distance or fare might be to head back to the ship later on that night. I heard the port of Callao is especially known for pickpockets and a distance from downtown Lima.

This trip is about all we talk about, We leave in 38 days and head to Argentina for 5 and then Chile for 5 before boarding the ship in Valparaiso.

So looking forward to having a wonderful time. Been on many cruises, have always had a great experience, just a little concerned about Lima.

thanks again Licia (San Mateo/San Francisco Calif)

ps I aprreciate the time you spent and sending me the sight.

Hi Licia,

I am not sure of your cruise date, but I am on the Golden Princess SA cruise 03/20/07, which stops in Callao on Mon. March 26 and departs the next day. I have pre-reserved the ships tour, but I am looking into a private tour where I can choose the sites I want to visit, have dinner and stay overnight in Lima and return to the ship the following morning. I am traveling solo.

We can absolutely go our separate ways for the evening, if you have plans, as I am more than happy to plan my own adventure for the evening.

Are you looking to do an overnight in Lima also?

Thanks, greatam for the info on your tour! I am contacting them as well.

Warm Regards,

Jeana

Hi Licia,

I am not sure of your cruise date, but I am on the Golden Princess SA cruise 03/20/07, which stops in Callao on Mon. March 26 and departs the next day. I have pre-reserved the ships tour, but I am looking into a private tour where I can choose the sites I want to visit, have dinner and stay overnight in Lima and return to the ship the following morning. I am traveling solo.

We can absolutely go our separate ways for the evening, if you have plans, as I am more than happy to plan my own adventure for the evening.

Warm Regards,

Jeana

Hi Jeana

I have also pre reserved the ship tours

Coquimob0Petroglyphs/Limari Valley,Arica-Lluta Valley by Train, San Maritn Tambo Colorado & Hacienda, Callao-Grand Lima City, manta-Nut Factory & Montecristi, Puntarenas-Costa Rica's Favorites and Huatulco Rural Communities

maybe you are on others with us. My husband and I are traveling alone. Send me your email and I won't clutter this thread.

We are planning on returning to the ship that night in Lima, (but late)and maybe doing some walking around the next day, never been there, have no clue. You're welcome to join us for dinner, we're having Chinese.

write me, you have my email. Licia

I belong to an international x stitch group around the world and meeting 45 woman in different countries for the first time, should be fun.

Hi Jeana

Coquimob0Petroglyphs/Limari Valley,Arica-Lluta Valley by Train, San Maritn Tambo Colorado & Hacienda, Callao-Grand Lima City, manta-Nut Factory & Montecristi, Puntarenas-Costa Rica's Favorites and Huatulco Rural Communities

maybe you are on others with us. My husband and I are traveling alone. Send me your email and I won't clutter this thread.

We are planning on returning to the ship that night in Lima, (but late)and maybe doing some walking around the next day, never been there, have no clue. You're welcome to join us for dinner, we're having Chinese.

I belong to an international x stitch group around the world and meeting 45 woman in different countries for the first time, should be fun.

Hi Licia,

Warm Regards,

Jeana

Jeana,

My wife and I are arriving in Santiago on March 17th and are looking for another couple to share tours of Santiago and the surrounding area on the 17th, 18th & 19th. We are also looking to share a tour/transportation on the 20th from Santiago to Valpariso.

While on the cruise, we would also like to join another couple or couples for private shore excursions.

Our e-mail addres is: daisyo@comcast.net.

David & Phyllis Oakes

Sarasota, FL

Hi Jeana

Licia,

My wife and I are arriving in Santiago on March 17th. We are interested in joining another couple or small group in touring Santiago and the surrounding area. We also would like to join another couple or small group for transportation/tour to Valpariso on March 20.

We are also interested in joining another couple or small group for private non Princess excursions for the ports of call from Santiago to Acapulco.

David & Phyllis Oakes

Sarasota, FL

daisyo@comcast.net

I must be on the wrong board. I'm looking for someone that may have recently taken this excursion with Princess, and what order the stops were.

I'm going to guess, that the last stop before returning to the ship is the Indian Market.

Here...is where we would say good bye to the tour guide, and stay in the city for dinner. I was wondering how safe it was, and what the distance or fare might be to head back to the ship later on that night. I heard the port of Callao is especially known for pickpockets and a distance from downtown Lima.

This trip is about all we talk about, We leave in 38 days and head to Argentina for 5 and then Chile for 5 before boarding the ship in Valparaiso.

So looking forward to having a wonderful time. Been on many cruises, have always had a great experience, just a little concerned about Lima.

thanks again Licia (San Mateo/San Francisco Calif)

ps I aprreciate the time you spent and sending me the sight.

Hi I spend a lot of time in Lima. If your tour ends at the Indian Market you will be in Miraflores district. It is one of the safest parts of Lima by far, but it is a long way from downtown and the port. There are many nice restaurants near and around that area and you will be very close to Kennedy Park which is central Miraflores. The taxi back to the port should be about $12-$15 and they will take US dollars in Lima. If you need any more info on Lima pm me and I will be glad to help you. I have spent more time in SA in the last year than in the USA. I will be back in Lima for 3 weeks in February. The weather is really good from Dec to the first of April around 80 in day and 70 at night

My husband and I will be traveling from Santiago on March 20th. Can you give us any suggestions on where to stay in Santiago. Do we need preplaneed trips or can we just take a taxi/train into each city. Do they have walking tours or local city tours in English. We would appreciate any recommendations

Hi I spend a lot of time in Lima. If you need any more info on Lima pm me and I will be glad to help you. I have spent more time in SA in the last year than in the USA.

Hi Cruisingrandy,

I am planning an independent tour of Lima for March and came up with an itinerary for the day. I sent it out to several reputable guides, but the hourly rate for the driver (and only a morning with a guide) is becoming a little cost prohibitive for one (not bad if shared, but I don't have a group, and I still want to follow my own itinerary). I am considering using the driver to get to Lima to/from Callao, then taxi-ing my way around the city.

From a large city myself, I am by no means timid, and I do have enough Spanish under my belt to hold my own, but I realize all cities are different with respect to safety / taxi issues. And since I am female traveling solo, safety is an issue for me.

Wanted to run my ideas by you as well as the itinerary, but can't seem to pm you. Can you help? My e-mail address is listed in my user profile: (nycbabybear@yahoo.com) and I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks so much,

Regards,

Jeana

Hi I spend a lot of time in Lima. If you need any more info on Lima pm me and I will be glad to help you. I have spent more time in SA in the last year than in the USA. I will be back in Lima for 3 weeks in February.

Hi Cruisingrandy,

I am planning an independent tour of Lima for March and came up with an itinerary for the day. I sent it out to several reputable guides, but the hourly rate for the driver (and only a morning with a guide) is becoming a little cost prohibitive for one (not bad if shared, but I don't have a group, and I still want to follow my own itinerary). I am considering using the driver to get to Lima to/from Callao, then taxi-ing my way around the city.

From a large city myself, I am by no means timid, and I do have enough Spanish under my belt to hold my own, but I realize all cities are different with respect to safety / taxi issues. And since I am female traveling solo, safety is an issue for me.

Wanted to run my ideas by you as well as the itinerary, but can't seem to pm you. Can you help? My e-mail address is listed in my user profile: (nycbabybear@yahoo.com) and I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks so much,

Regards,

Jeana

We visited Lima on our SA cruise in 2005 and did the private tour route.

With these boards I found it very easy to get a group together to make the cost very reasonable. We were to have been a group of only 5 but ended up as a group of 9.

I can highly recommend our tour guide and company both in Lima & Arica if you are interested.

ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

How do you like the Fundador vs. the Sheraton. Is the wine tour interesting if you have been to the wine country inSF. What do you think is the most intersting thing to see in Lima? Any other hints. Do you have to take guides or in some cities can you just go shopping. What type of transportaion is their if you do not speak Spanish.

Hello:

I am looking for a recomendation of a tour company in Manta and San Martin. There is group of 6 from CC (met there). Also, if interested contact me as well.

Has anyone had experience with the tour company Turismo Nuevo Mundo? I am trying to arrange a tour with them in Arica. Would appreciate any input.

m.loughman@sbcglobal.net

Marianne

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of info on private tour companies in the ports you mention on this link:

Review of Regal Princess: Valpariaso-Fort Lauderdale Mar 22 2006

The ports info is on posts nos 1 to 9.

And if you "search this forum" with the name of each port all past threads with that port name in them will pop up in the results and you can read them for additional info and tips.

Or simply scroll through the last few pages on this SA board to find them.

Archived