Any been to Caye Caulker????

ladybug1234

We are going on the Carnival Glory in August and were looking for something to do in Belize. I came upon Caye Caulker and it looks like it could be alot of fun. Was wondering if anyone has been there and if they would recommend it! Are the beaches nice. Is there a charge to go to the beach? Are the resturants any good.? Is there any shopping?

I spent a few days on Caye Caulker in 2005 and absolutely loved it! That being said, it's not for everyone. I don't recall any real shopping, but there were some really yummy restaurants, Rasta Pasta being our favorite. There really aren't any beaches, but the water surrounding the island is clear and beautiful. There is great snorkeling out at the reef. This is a very laid back island with no real resorts. As a matter of fact, there is only one small swimming pool on the whole island.

I loved it when we were there in December on the Valor! We were considering it for our Honeymoon, but decided we can't stay away from that open ocean and the ships. :) We are going back at some point for a week vacation.

Thanks you for your replies. I know this is going to seem like a dumb question but......can you get into the water there? Everything I have read about this says there is no beaches but the water is nice to swim in. So what does that mean??? Our group will have 6 kids and if they can't get into the water we will be in big trouble.

I had the same question, we are considering going to Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze. I asked them why they called one of their excursions a beach day if there was no beach as I had also read. They assured me that there is a beach where they drop you off and it is quite nice.

can you get into the water there? Everything I have read about this says there is no beaches but the water is nice to swim in.

My DW and I did Caye Caulker two years ago and we're going again at end of the month. Go to the URL listed below for more information.

We used the water taxi to get there. We took our time getting off the ship using the tender and once at the cruise dock proceeded to the water taxi location just a short walk to the left. As it turned out we just made the 12:00 PM departure of the water taxi for Caye Caulker.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it was about a 45 min boat ride to the island. Once we got there we docked on the East side of the island and walked West across the island to check it out and get our bearings. It turned out the island industrial area is on the West side so we headed North I believe to the spit.

There is an open air cafe there called the Green Lizard or something similar to that. We had something to eat there and after about an hour we started heading South along the beach back to the dock where we got off earlier. I believe the taxi was coming through about 3:00 PM for the ride back to Belize.

As for the beach, it's not a resort kind of beach. It has more pebbles then sand if I remember. The beach is free though. Check out the web site for more information or Google Cay Caulker for more information.

John

http://www.gocayecaulker.com/index.html

The open air restaurant the previous poster was referring to next to the beach is called "Rainbow". I think he may have got it confused with the "Wet Lizard" which is a bar/restaurant in the Belize Tourist Village where several tours meet. It is also Rainbow has awesome food, my d/h says the Red Snapper is the very best he's ever tasted and Belikin Beer is yummy too. Coral Breezes stops there to drop off some of their non snorkelling tour passengers. We took Marvin Deras's Ecological Tours Shark Ray tour and we stopped at Rainbow for lunch and it was great. You can take a water taxi to Caye Caulker from Belize City, but be sure to triple check the schedule and stay on ship's time.

I know many ppl recommend Coral Breezes, but we were not impressed as they left without us, even though arrived at the meeting place prior to when we were instructed to be there, as a result we ended up booking Ecological tours at the pier. Which ended up being a a huge bonus. One of our online friends who was on the Coral Breeze tour said she wished she had been on the tour with us, because her husband was injured due to the dangerous manner the boat was being operated. Not to mention since we toured the same area for the sharks and rays she saw what a good time we were having. Also they did not get to stop for lunch at Rainbow as we did.

Shortly after all this there was an fatal incident that occured on a Coral Breezes tour, details were sketchy, I don't think they were at fault in the whole thing, but then the tourism board did not list them as a licensed tour operator in the tourism village and they began contracting through a company called Hammerhead Sports. It all seems very odd and convoluted and so as a result I'd give you the advice to check out anyone you decide to do business with ahead of time and be certain they are a licensed tour operator.

I love Caye Caulker and think its a great area to spend the day.

After responding to your post yesterday, I started rethinking our plan for Belize in about a month. We had a cave tubing tour planned but once I started thinking about how much fun we had with the sharks and rays and Caye Caulker I decided to change our plans. A couple of things weighed into that decision though. We are travelling this time with my folks who are elderly and would like to take the kids with us (they are 4 and 6). I started looking at other options and came up with taking the water taxi back to Caye Caulker then going on a glass bottom boat tour snorkel tour with a company called Tsunami watersports. That way my folks and the kids can see the sharks and rays but there is no way they would be remotely interested in getting in the water with them. Then we'll go to the split and snorkel and boat through the mangroves. We'll then return to Tsunami say goodbye, walk south to Rainbow and have a wonderful lunch. Then take the water taxi back to Belize City. Since I already did the research on some of this I thought I'd post the water taxi schedule and the instructions to get to the water taxi stand in Belize City in the event that it might help someone else out.

Caye Caulker to Belize City

6:30am, 7:30am, 8:30am, 10am 12noon, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4pm

*****5pm (Fri/Sat/Sun & Holidays)

Belize City to Caye Caulker

8:00am, 9:00am, 10:30am, 12noon, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm & 5:30pm

Just exit the village and walk down to the swing bridge. It should not take more than 10 minutes to walk. more like 5 minutes. There is plenty of husslers, that want you to tours and souvenirs, but not to worry they are very friendly. When you reach the marine terminal, buy a ticket. remember your timing, try to make the 9am water taxi.

The open air restaurant the previous poster was referring to next to the beach is called "Rainbow". I think he may have got it confused with the "Wet Lizard" which is a bar/restaurant in the Belize Tourist Village where several tours meet. .

I think they were actually referring to the "Lazy Lizard" bar at the split in Caye Caulker. This is at the very tip of the inhabited portion of the island where there is a cut through it. This is a great place to swim and have a drink. Just stay out of the actual "cut". The current can be rough and there can be lots of boats going through there.

You can find all the info you need about Belize at http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I had the same question, we are considering going to Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze. I asked them why they called one of their excursions a beach day if there was no beach as I had also read. They assured me that there is a beach where they drop you off and it is quite nice.

We did the tour with Coral Breeze in 2005 to Caye Caulker. We opted to stay in Caye Caulker rather than continue with everyone else going snorkeling. Simply beacuse me and our older daughter are not big snorkelers. Turns out it was the best decision we ever made! If you are in to laid back island style living in a beautiful, unspoiled, non-commercialized, tropical paradise then this is your place. I don't have enough time or space on this board to tell you how much me, my dh and 2 dds fell in love with this - what we call- paradise. We are beach people and I have to say we did not even notice that there is not some huge beach to lay on. Do this- pay attention to EVERYTHING- you do not want to miss a thing, RENT A GOLF CART. Our guide lady- sorry, can't remember her name, gave us directions to the place where you rent the golf carts. You cannot get lost here- there are only like 5 roads!!!

There are NO paved roads and transportation is by golf cart or on foot, bikes, mopeds, etc. We didn't see a automobile the whole time. EAT at the Rainbow restaurant that sits out over the water, it is soo soo beautiful. Drink the Belekin beer. Drive your golf cart to the split. This is the most beautiful spot we have ever seen and we'll always remember it. There is a bar/restaurant there also. You can get in the water here a little and see small fish swim around your feet. On the other side of the restaurant to the right is an entrance to the water where you can swim. Again, there is not a huge beach but there is some beach and we did see people laying out. You step down into the water by cement steps, it is kinda freaky but the water is so beautiful and clear you go right ahead and do it! It gets deep rather quickly, so be careful if you have small children. DO look for the man selling the tamales off the back of his bike in an ice chest, they are wrapped in foil and still warm, they are the best tamales I have EVER eaten. Buy the pre-cut fruit bagged up and sold for 2 for a $1 on the roadside, the best pineapple I've ever tasted! Eat it while you drive your golf cart around this beautiful, wonderful place. The people are so friendly and it is so laid back. Make sure you take a look at the guys building the lobster traps under the swaying palm trees. As soon as you get off the boat and begin to head into the town, you first pass through a small beachside cemetery. That was the neatest thing I have ever seen, except for the Iguanas sticking their heads out of the tombstones!

Don't expect a lot of tourist and don't expect any big fancy construction- there is none.

We will return to Caye Caulker, hopefully sooner rather than later but until then- we can still dream of our favorite place on this earth.

We are leaving on the Norwegian Sun today! Will be in Belize Thursday 2/22. We are going to Caye Caulker using Eco Tours with Marvin because our Coral Breeze Caye Caulker tour was canceled. (The Beach Day at Caye Caulker is not listed as a tour at ecotoursbelize.com. I emailed Marvin and he said that they did have that tour and I reserved it.)

I considered the water taxi too. When I asked Mark from CB he said to just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back because sometimes the water taxis will wait until they have a full load before coming back to Belize City. Seems as though even though they post a schedule it may not be on time. That was not reliable enough for me. In all likelihood it would be on schedule and on time, but since I didn't want to worry about trying to leave hours earlier than needed, we decided against doing the water taxis on our own.

jkloni, I hope that Natalie is still a guide for Eco and you happen to get her. We really enjoyed her. She is very knowledgable and just downright pleasant. I hope we have the fortune to run into her next month when we are there on the Sun. Speaking of which I would love it if you would post when you return. Let us know about the highlights of your trip and how you liked the Sun.

• 2 weeks later...

You could book them on the dock if they had room on the tours. But they had several groups, so you probably could get in. The little office is on Terminal 1. We booked online ecotoursbelizedotcom. Owner is Marvin.

Kathy

We did the tour with Coral Breeze in 2005 to Caye Caulker. We opted to stay in Caye Caulker rather than continue with everyone else going snorkeling. Simply beacuse me and our older daughter are not big snorkelers. Turns out it was the best decision we ever made! If you are in to laid back island style living in a beautiful, unspoiled, non-commercialized, tropical paradise then this is your place. I don't have enough time or space on this board to tell you how much me, my dh and 2 dds fell in love with this - what we call- paradise. We are beach people and I have to say we did not even notice that there is not some huge beach to lay on. Do this- pay attention to EVERYTHING- you do not want to miss a thing, RENT A GOLF CART. Our guide lady- sorry, can't remember her name, gave us directions to the place where you rent the golf carts. You cannot get lost here- there are only like 5 roads!!!

There are NO paved roads and transportation is by golf cart or on foot, bikes, mopeds, etc. We didn't see a automobile the whole time. EAT at the Rainbow restaurant that sits out over the water, it is soo soo beautiful. Drink the Belekin beer. Drive your golf cart to the split. This is the most beautiful spot we have ever seen and we'll always remember it. There is a bar/restaurant there also. You can get in the water here a little and see small fish swim around your feet. On the other side of the restaurant to the right is an entrance to the water where you can swim. Again, there is not a huge beach but there is some beach and we did see people laying out. You step down into the water by cement steps, it is kinda freaky but the water is so beautiful and clear you go right ahead and do it! It gets deep rather quickly, so be careful if you have small children. DO look for the man selling the tamales off the back of his bike in an ice chest, they are wrapped in foil and still warm, they are the best tamales I have EVER eaten. Buy the pre-cut fruit bagged up and sold for 2 for a $1 on the roadside, the best pineapple I've ever tasted! Eat it while you drive your golf cart around this beautiful, wonderful place. The people are so friendly and it is so laid back. Make sure you take a look at the guys building the lobster traps under the swaying palm trees. As soon as you get off the boat and begin to head into the town, you first pass through a small beachside cemetery. That was the neatest thing I have ever seen, except for the Iguanas sticking their heads out of the tombstones!

Don't expect a lot of tourist and don't expect any big fancy construction- there is none.

We will return to Caye Caulker, hopefully sooner rather than later but until then- we can still dream of our favorite place on this earth.

Great Review! I can't wait to go.

what a great review. What you describe is EXACTLY what I

like!!! Did I write this:confused: oh wait ,I have never been there before!!;)

But I will be in LESS than 2 weeks and it will be great!!!

Sandy

what a great review. What you describe is EXACTLY what I

like!!! Did I write this:confused: oh wait ,I have never been there before!!;)

But I will be in LESS than 2 weeks and it will be great!!!

Sandy

You will LOVE it! We have wanted to go back ever since we left, me, hubby and our 2 daughters, just go there and stay a few days but the airfare to Belize alone is so high that we just haven't done it but maybe some day or we will take another cruise that will go to Belize. If you are not scared of trying things- make sure you find the tamale man and make sure you get pineapple from the ladie with the fruit cart :)

I hope you have fun on your cruise and beautiful sunny weather;)

Archived