Jewelry Comparison Shopping-Pre-Cruise

Kuiska

I've read a lot of posts advising that you see how much jewelry goes for here in the States before you go on your cruise so that you know if you're getting a good deal in the islands. I was wondering if anyone knew any good websites that could give me an idea of how much jewelry generally costs. Thanks!

Easy way is to determine the cost per gram per 14k or 18k by contacting your local jeweler and from what you see on a shopping channel.

Then you may be able to bargin the gram cost rather than the object cost.

MikeM

I collect gems. It is a great hobby, but a little homework really helps you to get the best deals. For example, with tanzanite you will hear the darker the color, the more valuable the stone. While this is true, a richly colored blue stone is not worth as much as a richly colored blue stone with a tertiary flash of red (by rocking the stone gently back and forth is good lighting, you will see the red flash). If the hue is so rich that the stone appears black, it has less value than one that is true blue. Zoning will also reduce the value of the stone. If you look at the stone from the side angle and tilt is slowly and rotate it, the intesity of color should remain constant. Zoning means there are stripes or zones of lesser color in your stone. Of course, cut and clarity still matter in colored gems, particularly in gems that are not top color. In terms of gold, you may pay as much for the craftsmanship as for the gold itself. For example a plain gold band will cost less per gram than an intricately designed bracelet. So make sure when you are pricing them out, you are researching a similar piece as what you hope to find on your cruise. My favorite resource for pricing gems and jewelry is a book called Jewelry and Gems The Buying Guide by Antoinette Matlins and A.C. Bonanno. I got mine from Amazon. It is easy to read, gives you what to look for when shopping and has a quick chart for pricing. If there is an item in particular you are looking for, I would happy to share my thoughts with you. Happy shopping.

IBEEMOM,

I don't mean to dispute you but I think that you have that backwards. Loose stones are considered rocks. No duty on rocks. When set in a ring, braclet, charm, necklace, ect., they are considered a finished product with a set worth. Duty applies......

IBEEMOM,

I don't mean to dispute you but I think that you have that backwards. Loose stones are considered rocks. No duty on rocks. When set in a ring, braclet, charm, necklace, ect., they are considered a finished product with a set worth. Duty applies......

That has been my experience. No duty on rocks.

Archived