Grand Turk Governors Beach, Gibbs Cay or sub

lippylulu

We will be visiting Grand Turk with our 9 year old for the first time. Its our first port day so we imagine she will want to fly off the ship and have some fun. We were considering a half day at Grand Turk Inn but just found out they do not welcome children.

Which has the best beach---Governor's Beach or Gibbs Cay---in terms of crytsal clear, calm water, not a lot of rocks and not too crowded. We might snorkle, or we might just relax and play in the water, We are afraid she might be scared of the stingrays at Gibbs Cay---are they everywhere? Are there lounge chair, floatation mats and umbrella rentals?

Also, anyone do the semi-submerssable sub excursion? We tend to be independent and book our own excursions but it looks like on Grand Turk everything goes through thee cruise ship terminal.

Suggestions?

We will be visiting Grand Turk with our 9 year old for the first time. Its our first port day so we imagine she will want to fly off the ship and have some fun. We were considering a half day at Grand Turk Inn but just found out they do not welcome children.

Which has the best beach---Governor's Beach or Gibbs Cay---in terms of crytsal clear, calm water, not a lot of rocks and not too crowded. We might snorkle, or we might just relax and play in the water, We are afraid she might be scared of the stingrays at Gibbs Cay---are they everywhere? Are there lounge chair, floatation mats and umbrella rentals?

Also, anyone do the semi-submerssable sub excursion? We tend to be independent and book our own excursions but it looks like on Grand Turk everything goes through thee cruise ship terminal.

Suggestions?

Great questions that I would love to hear the answers. Thanks for asking.....I'll be watching this thread!

My DH and I were at Gibbs Cay in November and the water was very clear and calm. We did the swim with the stingrays. The beach was very nice too, it's like your on a deserted island. I could have stayed and subathed for a few hours, no problem.

If your wife doesn't want to get in with the stingrays she could just relax on the beach. Just bring a towel since there are no facilities to speak of. I believe it is considered a "state park". I would say it would be a great excursion for your 9 year old. We have a 14 year old son and although he wasn't with us on that cruise I know he would have enjoyed the experience.

There weren't nearly as many stingrays (6-8 maybe) in comparison to somewhere like Grand Cayman. The guides get in the water with you and show you how to feed them. We enjoyed the excursion and there wasn't a lot of people on it (maybe 20, I can't remember for sure). We didn't even snorkel there, we left Gibbs Cay and went to a different spot.

Hope this helps.

Jodi

Archived