Ordering 2 entrees?

mh1973

On our first cruise we had a couple at our table who were avid cruisers. There were 3 couples at the table, the first night he told us how he liked to order extra entree's for the table, kinda like family style, that way everyone could sample a bite, broaden their horizons. Well it was great...:p I tried things I would have never ordered had I had to pay for them at a fancy restaruant. Our last cruise it was just my family of 4 but we still would order an extra dish every evening for everyone to try. My kids thought it was great (they were ordering extra desserts to split!). Live a little:D :D

A great idea.

I have two complaints about ordering multiple items. I don't particularly like to see food go to waste so I find it distasteful when I see someone order a bunch of items simply for a bite or two, leaving the rest to waste.

My other complaint is for ship kitchens. I have on numerous occasions asked for a "small", "very small", or "tasting" portion. I have never received anything less than a full portion. This has been the case in dining rooms and surprisingly in specialty restaurants. I recall one memorable instance when I asked for a single slice of cheese and got a cheese plate sufficient for the whole table. Now, despite any desire to taste several items, I restrict myself to one appetizer and one entrée.

I for one would like it if a "tasting menu" was available. Very small portions of five or six of the offered appetizers and entrées. I realize that this is more work for a kitchen. But surely the reduction in uneaten food and increase in customer satisfaction compensates.

I have heard about some crazy things on the ship(Strawberry bisque, pumpkin soup etc. That I would NEVER try at home and I am looking forward to being able to try it on the ship.

The strawberry bisque was awesome!!! I had a bite of DH's pumpkin soup and it was too salty for me, but very flavorful.

I simply LOVE this thread. I thought it might be a "have some class" type discussion. The first time it was suggested to me, I said something like "No way, that's really low". Then I went for it and no one blinked. Then you realize the portions are not that large to begin with anyway. As long as you finish it, go for it.

My petie DW will typically order two appetizers (especially if its shrimp or escargo). On lobster night, she will order two and you can see in her eye that she wants to order the filet as well.

The waiters don't even flinch with ordering two. In fact, after a few meals, he was expecting DW to do this.:p

The only place where I don't think this is acceptable is in the supper clubs.

Archived