Safety on Costa !!!!

Brian Raine

Is it me , or I'm I just miserable. On our Costa cruises I have noticed a rather slap dash attitude to safety.

Life boat drill. Everyone is obliged to attend, yet passengers wander into line anytime up to 15/20 minutes late, with admonishment from the crew.

Life Boats On neither of our 2 cruises in the Med did we see a Lifeboat lowered for testing. IMO (International Maritime Organisation)requires LBs to be lowered once every two months. The amount of paint I noticed on the falls(ropes) certainly did not look as if this had happened.

Hygene. Neither vessel had a hand sanitiser dipenser availabe for use in the food areas, table only received a cursory wipe when it was pointed out to the waiters. Food residue remained on some tables from lunchtime until teatime. Comments to senior management brought little or no improvement.

All these points have been flagged up to Costa , I await their response, but not with bated breath.

From now on I will carry my own hand cleanser if I go on Costa again.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that you say that?I?ve seen the same things on some of the other cruise lines I?ve been on, but when I sailed with Costa in December, they were very diligent on the safety aspect. I also sailed with Costa two years ago in Northern Europe and didn?t notice this. In terms of hygiene, people tend to be the only dangers I see in this area! Actually, the ship we sailed on in December, the Costa Mediterranea, scored a perfect score for health and sanitation (that?s what I read on a travel site at least?). Guess it all depends!

FC123

Life Boats On neither of our 2 cruises in the Med did we see a Lifeboat lowered for testing. IMO (International Maritime Organisation)requires LBs to be lowered once every two months. The amount of paint I noticed on the falls(ropes) certainly did not look as if this had happened.

On our Costa Magica cruise 2 weeks ago, in ons of the ports of call, the ship actually did perform a simulated emergency drill, lifeboats were lowered, etc........for crew only

It was announced repeatedly on the PA system that this was a training excercise for the crew only.

Keep in mind that the other lines roll out the hand sanitizer stations AFTER some outbreak as a way to quell the fears of cruisers. I have found Costa to be immaculately clean, and a thorough soap & water cleansing of hands is perfectly effective in keeping most germs at bay.

HOWEVER, on this and every other line, I pack Lysol wipes for the cabin (in a ziploc) and wipe down all hard surfaces (especially handles & phone) immediately the first day, and take a small Purell bottle with us for SHORE EXCURSIONS where I worry more about coming into contact with something that our very priviledged North American digestive systems might not be happy with.

I found the public areas in Costa to be much cleaner than on other lines.

Archived