Passport Requirements for Hawaiian Cruises

gbfan06

Hi everyone! I have question regarding passport requirements for NCL's 7-day cruises departing from Honolulu. Must you have a passport for these cruises even though you never stop at a foreign port? My kids' passports expire this summer and I just learned they must be valid for 6 months past one's return date in order to travel outside the U. S. This puts a damper on our plans for a Caribbean spring break cruise in April, so we are now looking at Hawaii instead. Thanks!

I thought they excluded passport needed for cruise traveling until 2008.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Doesn't this remind you of that joke...a plane crashes exactly on the border between the US and Canada...where do they bury the survivors....If you are an American national(either citizen or green card holder), on the american Flagged vessels not going to Fanning Island, you have never left the US and no passport is required.

Guest BeckyThane
If I go my whole trip and don't get called 'howlie' I might retract my prior statement here.

Chances are good that if you don't act like a haole, you won't be called one.

gbfan, enjoy your cruise! Hawaii's ~great~!!!

I am going to stay on topic. There is one caveat on the Passport issue. If you are flying to Hawaii from the US you don't need a passport BUT I have seen weather problems or a particular cruise line air routing that has sent people to Vancover and then to Hawaii...and you can't go to Vancover by air or back from Vancouver by air without a passport(effective 1/23)...

Archived