About kids - safety issue

Cotton

[b][color=darkslategray]I was reading the post from the mom worrying about her kids falling overboard. Most responses were that the railings are solid and waist-high, etc., so not to worry.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f][u]HOWEVER [/u] ... on the Holiday class ships, this is NOT the case, so I wanted to clarify that. If I sound like a klutz, then so be it, but.....This just [i]might[/i] save somebody's life, so here goes:[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]The outside railings on the public decks are waist-high, but they are NOT solid. They are more 'fence-style', and between the railings there is about a two-foot gap in three places, and the first 'gap' is deck level. This is all around the ship. [/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]On the Holiday a couple of years ago, I was on deck late one evening, and the deck was wet. (Of course, there were the little cones saying 'wet deck' or whatever.) What happened put the FEAR into me ... I slipped and actually caught hold of the lowest rail! I could VERY EASILY have gone right off the ship! (I know - I should have been more careful.) But I was shaking like a leaf after that incident. There was not another soul on that area of the deck at that time. I could have been lost at sea!:eek: [/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]Afterwards, I started thinking about kids being alone, or even with other kids or parents, and how very easily accidents can happen.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]So------I wanted to post this for parents everywhere. PLEASE be aware of where your kiddies are at all times, and please STRESS the possible dangers. I have posted this a couple of times before, but I think it is worth posting again. [/color][/b]

Thank you cotton. Info like this is worth repeating. I don't have small children, but have been known to be a klutz on occasion. I just walked into the bathroom door in the middle of the night 2 nights ago :o .

Stefanie

Thanks, Cotton. When we sail with our two kids, they are always with us so we can keep an eye on them. I think I'm more worried about me falling in, lol. I'm the klutzy one in the family:D Just because you're on vacation, you still have to be careful.

You might as well count me in too. I am an a-1 number one clutz. Always have been, always will be. I just about killed myself on the deck of the Rhapsody this past January.:eek: It had rained over night and the top deck was especially slippery. I slid all over the place as if I was at an ice rink.:o I was not the only one though. Many others were sliding around too. I think the wet decks are much more dangerous than the railings. When those decks are wet and slick from the rain it is extremely slippery!:( That's why I always stress to my children to be very careful when the deck is wet like that. They've fallen a few times and are now very careful. :D

Klutz here too....but really... it wasn't my fault.....the track that the doors open and shut on.....the rubber part on my pool sandals got caught.....the sandal stayed but I went....boy was I sore for two days.

*rant* DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!! HONESTLY IF YOU DONT KNOW EVERY OBSCURE TECHNICAL FACT ABOUT EVERY SHIP IN THE FLEET DONT CRUISE ON THAT LINE ;)

Actually, just look closely at pictures.

Holiday class- 46-47,000 tons (1985-1987)- Holiday, Jubilee, Celebration

Fantasy Class- 70,367 tons (1990-1998)- Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, INSPIRATION, Elation*, Paradise*
*= Elation and Paradise were the first cruise liners equipped with Azipod propulsion systems, both commissioned 1998

Destiny Class- 100-101,000 tons (1996, 1999-2000)- Carnival Destiny, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory

Spirit Class- 88,500 tons, azipod (2001-2004)- Carnival Spirit, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle

Conquest Class- 110,000 tons (2002-2005)- Carnival Conquest, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor (12/2004), Carnival Liberty (7/2005 Europe, 11/2005 USA)

Archived