do i really need a new passport?

gwynnetx

dh and i are going on a hawaiian cruise with ncl in june for our 1st anniversary. my passport still has my maiden name, and when the travel agent asked if i would be bringing my birth cert. or my passport, i said passport. it wasn't until later that i realized that it doesn't match my driver's license or ssecurity card anymore.

my question is, does anyone know if i really need to get a new passport with my married name or can i just bring a copy of my marriage certificate. since we're not leaving the US, i don't see that i'll need it for any actual legal purposes, just id. but i don't know. do you?

thanks!

I'v seen this debate before. Most people suggest you book your cruise and flight under your madien name as it matches your drives ID and Passport! I'm sure you want to start using your married name right away... but it takes time to get "name changes" on all your ID's...

I rather be safe than sorry!

My advice is to spring for a new passport now while there is still plenty of time to get it. You will need it anyway if you are to continue cruising and it's much easier to remember what name you gave where. While it's a hassle to have to change everything, I did it all at once to get it over with. Sure made travel a lot easier.

Charlie

I'v seen this debate before. Most people suggest you book your cruise and flight under your madien name as it matches your drives ID and Passport! I'm sure you want to start using your married name right away... but it takes time to get "name changes" on all your ID's... I rather be safe than sorry!

:confused: I read the OP's post as her passport was in her maiden name BUT her driver's license is in her married name... :confused:

1. You can have your passport re-issued at no charge with your married name if you do so within one year of your marriage. Instructions on the State Dept website.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

2. You do not need a passport or BC to travel within the US, which Hawaii is. So go ahead and have your passport re-issued now, you do not need it back in time for your cruise (but will probably have it anyway). But your drivers license will work fine as current ID.

3. Ask your TA why she thinks you do need a passport or BC to go to Hawaii. Might be time to change TA's or might just have been an automatic rote question.

If you are one of the 7 day Hawaii cruises on NCL, you don't need a passport or birth certificate. All you need is your driver's license.

On NCL to Hawaii, IF one of the ports is Fanning Island, a passport is required.

From the NCL website:

For travel from Hawaii

At the time of printing, U.S. Immigration regulations required all guests on Hawaiian cruises that call at Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati to carry a valid passport.

On NCL to Hawaii, IF one of the ports is Fanning Island, a passport is required.
That's absolutely correct, but before I gave my answer above I did double check, and all the NCL cruises in June are RT out of Honolulu. ;)

For anyone who might be wondering, the Fanning Island stop is incorporated when the trip starts and ends in different US ports; thus triggering the Passenger Services Act limitation requiring a stop at a designated Distant Foreign Port-and that's Fanning.

That's absolutely correct, but before I gave my answer above I did double check, and all the NCL cruises in June are RT out of Honolulu. ;)

For anyone who might be wondering, the Fanning Island stop is incorporated when the trip starts and ends in different US ports; thus triggering the Passenger Services Act limitation requiring a stop at a designated Distant Foreign Port-and that's Fanning.

Actually the Fanning Island stops are on the longer round trip Honolulu cruises on NCL. BUT as I said if you are on the 7 night Hawaii sailings a passport isn't required as they don't go to Fanning Island.

Ahh, Wrona, you are right...I did not see those 10 dayers RT out of Honolulu. I am used to Fanning being a stop for the two week LA-Hawaii trips where it is needed for the PSA requirement. I am guessing NCL must use this as a fuel stop? There is no PSA requirement for stopping there as far as I can see. Thanks.

1. You can have your passport re-issued at no charge with your married name if you do so within one year of your marriage. Instructions on the State Dept website.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

Cherylandtk - the website you reference does not say "within one year of your marriage" - it says WITHIN one year from the date of issue [of the passport]

From the NCL website:

For travel from Hawaii

At the time of printing, U.S. Immigration regulations required all guests on Hawaiian cruises that call at Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati to carry a valid passport.

Do you still need a passport for the above cruises if you don't leave the ship at Fanning Island?

Do you still need a passport for the above cruises if you don't leave the ship at Fanning Island?

The answer is yes. They won't let you board the ship without it. We took the Wind there and couldn't even go on to the island due to a sudden storm. Even if you choose not to get off the ship, you still need a valid passport to board.

The answer is yes. They won't let you board the ship without it. We took the Wind there and couldn't even go on to the island due to a sudden storm. Even if you choose not to get off the ship, you still need a valid passport to board.

Where is customs then? On the boat? My main reason for asking is that I'm on a visa that says that I can't leave the US, but I have a passport. I'm trying to decide between the 10-day and the 7-day, and since they're both around the same price, I'd rather do the 10-day.

Archived