Customs and Rome

Hi.......I know this is probably a dumb question, but....I've never traveled internationally and am unsure how this works. I'm going on a Carnival Med cruise and am flying into Rome. In looking at some of the transportation options Carnival offers to the ship, they say you have to clear customs by a certain time. Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how long it takes once you deplane to get luggage and clear customs?

Thanks for your help.

Hi.......I know this is probably a dumb question, but....I've never traveled internationally and am unsure how this works. I'm going on a Carnival Med cruise and am flying into Rome. In looking at some of the transportation options Carnival offers to the ship, they say you have to clear customs by a certain time. Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how long it takes once you deplane to get luggage and clear customs?

Thanks for your help.

In general clearing customs/pasportcontrol etc. in Europe is much faster that clearing it in the USA....

If you fly nonstop to Rome and it is your 1st stop in Europe, this can be done within 30/45 minutes, depending how quick your luggage will come out.

After you get your luggage you just walk through the area re customs that says nothing to declare and out the door.You will go through passport control before you get your luggage and this may take more time depending on the lines,but customs is no problem.When you get back to the US you will go through customs again and this does take longer because they ask you questions sometimes,and again passport control will before you get your luggage.As Ine said..a lot longer in the US than in Europe.If you don't spend over your $800 limit of stuff to bring back then customs is a lot easier to go through in the US.

Archived