late flight after return to Seattle. What to do all day?

Mooguy

We will be sailing the Golden Princess later this summer. We have a flight out of Seattle at 10:57PM the day we return. Does anyone know if Princess offers a baggage hold area downtown so that we can spend the afternoon doing something around the downtown area rather then sitting at the airport for 10 hours?

Thanks

We were in a similar situation a couple years ago with a late night flight out of Seattle. We were on NCL and the port they used had plenty of things to do within walking distance. The port had some storage available for a fee for a certain number of hours (until sometime that afternoon). When we returned for our luggage, one of the few workers there suggested we call for a taxi immediately and get out of there quickly. He said the port area is fine when there are a lot of people around, but that it would be getting very dangerous very soon. We appreciated the advice and got out of there ASAP. We had 2 kids and we were all tired, so we got a hotel room near the airport and then checked out late evening and went to the airport. It was worth it.

Check out this website

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/concierge.shtml

to see where you can store your luggage. Of course you have to use common sense anytime you are traveling but there is no need to hurry off and hang out at a Seatac hotel.

I would get a cab for the mile to the waterfront to the new Seattle Art Museum's outdoor statue museum. Then walk back on the waterfront (south), there are plenty of fun places to eat and shop and window shop along the way. Across from the aquarium you can walk up to the Pike Place Market and see the flying fish, the magic shop, bakeries.... You can continue walking up to Westlake Center for some shopping or site seeing of the city.

From the waterfront you can take a horse and carriage tour through the Pioneer Square area and the International District.

There is an Argosy ticket office on the waterfront where you can arrange tours to the Ballard Locks.

You can take a Duck Tour that will take you through the city and into Lake Union to see the houseboats.

You can take the Water Taxi over to Alki Beach for a great photo op of the Seattle skyline, great fish and chips right at the dock or a cocktail at Salty's.

Enjoy our city!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mooguy,

We are in the same situation you are in. We will be sailing the Golden in July, and our return flight is not until 1:00 AM Sunday. We have decided to rent a car (solves the problem of where to stash the luggage) and head out of Seattle to see Mt. Rainier. No offense to the city of Seattle, which I'm sure is very nice, but given the choice of seeing a city or seeing a mountain, we'll pick the mountain any day! Have a great trip!

Hi Mooguy,

Don't forget to factor in the traffic to get back to the airport. The traffic in and out, around, WHERE ever in the Seattle area in GODAWFUL!! Been there. Seen it. Hate it !! I also understand there is some major construction about to start on I-5, the ONLY freeway in or out of Seattle.

Having said that, there is tons to do in Seattle for a day. If you have teens, they will probably like the Experience Music Project. It's a sort of Rock 'n Roll museum with Jimi Hendrix as the center piece. Seeing the building is worth the trip !! Hooked onto that is a Science Fiction Museum that's kinda fun. That's all in an area called Seattle Center, along with the Space Needle and a small amusement park. Also an IMAX theater. The area down by the waterfront is interesting. Pike Place Market with the flying fish vendors. Arts and craft stalls. Mostly jewelry. Plenty of eateries. The Seattle Art Museum (SAM) is also worth seeing. Lots of Pacific Northwest exhibits. I have never been since we always run out of time, but I hear the Underground tour of Seattle is good. Further uptown is shopper's paradise but I live near San Francisco so that doesn't do it for me. Lots of big stores.

BTW, the area around the airport is definitely nothing to write home about. Very industrial so don't expect to find much more there than hotels/motels and car rental agencies.

LikeI said before, leave plenty of time to arrive at the airport !! MG

• 4 months later...

Archived