Galveston Parking Options - need advice

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I'm considering renting a car at IAH for our upcoming cruise on the Grand. I see folks talking about parking at the cruise terminal, but was wondering if that has to be booked in advance of arrival or not. If so, how do I contact them (anyone have a name or web site), and does anyone have any idea about the cost. Is it quick and easy to get to your car upon disembarkment. Thanks in advance. Mike

When we sailed out of Galveston last year our CC friends suggested using EZCruise to park. We went online and found them, saved $5 by signing up online, the lot is right down the road from the terminal and they drop you off and pick you up. I think we paid $50-55 for the 7 day cruise. We got there, parked the car and got in the van to the terminal. When we got back we took our bags off ourself and we were in our car driving away 30 minutes after we cleared customs. I had several email communications with them asking questions and they were extremely helpful. It's the only way we have done out of Galveston - I'm sure there are many other good options.

parking is not a problem, plenty of lot spaces on day of departures. Unless you are coming into Houston early to sightsee, you probably might want to look at a limo service rather than paying for parking and car rental for a week. Rates on parking were about $8 a day last time we cruised out of there, haven't done this cruise in couple of years. You also could look up rental car agencies and see if you can drop off in either direction for a reasonable rate. try this website http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/carrentals.shtml

We also used EZpark after reading about it on CC before our 2/25/06 and 11/25/06 Grand cruises (Hi Brian, BJK and Sue). We booked online both times. We parked at the EZ park lot and we were shuttled to the terminal. The van was at the curb to pick us up after our cruise. The first time pick up was very efficient and we had no wait time. The second time it was very chaotic and we had a long wait to get to the lot, but we finally made it. I am not sure what the problem was that day. The EZpark drivers were trying hard to accomodate their customers.

go with the oneway rental. Even paying the drop-off charge through Hertz would be less than paying to park a rental. You can book the Princess transfer back or arrange something with an outside shuttle service.

Thanks for the advice. Let me explain my situation a little better. I currently has a shuttle booked through Princess for both transfers. However, Continental has changed my flight returning from IAH from a 1:30pm departure to a 12:25pm departure on disembarkment day. When I called them, their next available flight is at 5:30pm, and I have plans that evening and need to get back earlier that the 5:30pm would allow. However, they told me not to change my plans because they might have another flight change between now and the end of March. So that is my problem. Princess tells me to only have a flight after 1:30pm, so I am looking at alternatives and Continental wants me to stay with what I have booked as far as transportation.

I called Princess and they will allow me to switch my transfers to shipboard credit if I don't use them, which is fine with me. I was going to use the Princess transfer on arrival, but at least for the moment, Enterprise has not cars available, and I haven't found any other car rental agencies in Galveston with supply. That's why I'm considering a car rental for the entire week and just drive myself. Thanks again for any advice.

You seem to have limited degrees of freedom here, especially since Enterprise or Hertz don't have vehicle availability on your return. If you must make the 1225 hr flight you probably have come up with the best solution, rent at IAH, park, and express walk-off (and hope you aren't held up by fog or inadequate customs services). At best its 60-75 minutes to IAH from G'ton. Listen to 740 or 950 AM on the way up, road reports every 15 minutes or so. Plan to take I-45 to State Hwy 59 North (sometimes called the EastTex) to the big airport exit at Will Clayton Pky and listen for road conditions.

If 59 is in trouble stay on I-45 to the North Loop (I-610, a road that rings Houston). You first cross the South Loop part of I-610 on I-45, don't take that one. At the North Loop go East to the Tollway North into IAH. There are other optiopns as well, just look at the map of Houston.

The key is to listen to road reports. Houston is known for working freeways on weekends and creating huge traffic jams. If you want, you can log onto TexDot website (http://204.64.21.201/travel/road_conditions2.htm) the last sea day coming back and look to see if any road closures that affect you are planned. (For example, this Sunday they will close both directions of the Galveston causeway from 0800-0900 effectively cutting the island off for 1 hour).

You seem to have limited degrees of freedom here, especially since Enterprise or Hertz don't have vehicle availability on your return. If you must make the 1225 hr flight you probably have come up with the best solution, rent at IAH, park, and express walk-off (and hope you aren't held up by fog or inadequate customs services). At best its 60-75 minutes to IAH from G'ton. Listen to 740 or 950 AM on the way up, road reports every 15 minutes or so. Plan to take I-45 to State Hwy 59 North (sometimes called the EastTex) to the big airport exit at Will Clayton Pky and listen for road conditions.

If 59 is in trouble stay on I-45 to the North Loop (I-610, a road that rings Houston). You first cross the South Loop part of I-610 on I-45, don't take that one. At the North Loop go East to the Tollway North into IAH. There are other optiopns as well, just look at the map of Houston.

The key is to listen to road reports. Houston is known for working freeways on weekends and creating huge traffic jams. If you want, you can log onto TexDot website (http://204.64.21.201/travel/road_conditions2.htm) the last sea day coming back and look to see if any road closures that affect you are planned. (For example, this Sunday they will close both directions of the Galveston causeway from 0800-0900 effectively cutting the island off for 1 hour).

Wow, that is great information, thank you. In your opinion, if I do the express walk-off and park close to the terminal, and conditions are reasonable that if I get off the ship by around 9am I should be able to get to the airport terminal by 11am? With a 12:25pm flight, I would think I need to be there around 1 1/2 hours early. Am I completely thinking unreasonably to believe I can make a 12:25pm flight out of IAH? Thanks, Mike

Wow, that is great information, thank you. In your opinion, if I do the express walk-off and park close to the terminal, and conditions are reasonable that if I get off the ship by around 9am I should be able to get to the airport terminal by 11am? With a 12:25pm flight, I would think I need to be there around 1 1/2 hours early. Am I completely thinking unreasonably to believe I can make a 12:25pm flight out of IAH? Thanks, Mike

If, if, if,..... sure if everything goes like you plan and you are in your car headed to IAH by 0900 no problem. However, read the issues others have experienced getting off in Galveston. It seems as if every second cruise has weather, port, customs and other disembarkation delays. (I wonder if this is why Princess is leaving G'ton?) As for parking close, you will need to use shuttles no matter what as none of the lots are close enough to walk to with luggage. The Port of Galveston lots just transport you to the car, and you drive back for baggage. The private lots will convey you and your luggage. BTW, I pass the port almost daily as I work across the street at the university.

I realize there are many if's in my thinking and I'm still not comfortable with any of my options. It's sounding more and more like my very best options is to schedule the 5:30pm flight, keep the Princess transfers I have now, and not worry about getting off the boat early at all. I guess my biggest issue with that is that I won't get home till about 11pm that night, and "if" I made the 12:25pm flight, I would be home by 5pm, and follow through with the plans I have for that evening. Continental has put me in a difficult spot, they told me that there's always a "chance" that the 12:25pm flight might move back and I will move with it, but if I move to the 5:30pm flight, I think I'm stuck there unless I pay to change. UGH!

I realize there are many if's in my thinking and I'm still not comfortable with any of my options. It's sounding more and more like my very best options is to schedule the 5:30pm flight, keep the Princess transfers I have now, and not worry about getting off the boat early at all. I guess my biggest issue with that is that I won't get home till about 11pm that night, and "if" I made the 12:25pm flight, I would be home by 5pm, and follow through with the plans I have for that evening. Continental has put me in a difficult spot, they told me that there's always a "chance" that the 12:25pm flight might move back and I will move with it, but if I move to the 5:30pm flight, I think I'm stuck there unless I pay to change. UGH!

Archived