Rental Car in Juneau

sunshine426

We would like to rent a car for the day in Juneau. Where is the rental car location (airport?) and are shuttles available at the cruise dock or is it necessary to get a taxi? Any advise would be appreciated. I tried to search the forum, thought someone else would have already asked this question, but I guess I am the first. Thanks, this board is great.

Contact Rent-a-Wreck in Juneau. The other agencies are at the airport and don't offer a shuttle. Rent-a-Wreck will pick you up at your ship, take you to their office (NEAR the airport) to do the paperwork, then send you on your way with the car. For an additional fee, you can leave the car parked downtown near the ship instead of returning it to their office. It's a $25+ cab ride between downtown and their offices.

Make (and pay) your reservation early. cars are limited, and they're usually sold out.

-Case

We have a car set-up for our day in port. RAW was great. I sent an inquiry and they called me right back (remember the time change). They are going to pick us up at the harbor after our whale watching and take us to their office from there. We are going to pay $15 extra to drop the car off downtown by 8:30. If we opt not to keep the car past 5:30 we have to return it to their office - they will refund the $15 plus tax and return us downtown/ship.

From everything I have read on the boards they provide great customer service. A co-worker at work has a friend who lives in Juneau and he knows the owners - he said they are great people.

Can't wait.

Thanks for the input. Now, I need some tips on what to drive to in Juneau. We plan on spending time at Mendenhall Glacier, and after that do some self guided sight seeing. Would love some advise. I usually look at what the cruise ships offer and then go from there.

With the help of a local and these boards we “sort of” have our day planned. RAW will have maps and a places of interest sheet.

Driving Route after picking up car:

First stop by a grocery store near Rent A Wreck - Safeway will be the closest, the other is called Super Bear and pick up lunch and supplies for the boat. Auke Recreation Area, a good spot for picnics.

Drive out to The Shrine of St. Therese about mile marker 25, a hand-built rock chapel set in the rain forest on its own island, connected to the shore by a causeway. It's a great spot to see salmon jumping, seals, sea lions, eagles and sometimes whales.

Chapel by the Lake is very near to Auke Bay and in fact sits on Auke Lake near the University of Alaska campus, (tiny school), that’s right around the 11 mile marker.

Mendenhall Glacier is at the end of the Mendenhall Valley, and only a couple of miles away from the airport, that’s about the 10 mile marker or so.

Glacier Gardens would be the next stop on the way into town and that’s at about the 7 mile marker or so. They are converting a Kmart into a Wal-Mart.

Just down the road from Glacier Gardens is the Alaskan Brewery (owners Jeff and Marcy), about the 5 mile marker.

Driving back towards downtown you’ll see a bridge on your right that will take you over to Douglas Island. When you drive over the bridge you’ll come to a round-about that will either spit you out to the left, (that would be South towards the town of Douglas and Sandy Beach - the historic Treadwell Mine ruins at Savikko Park) or to the right, (that would be towards the Northern end of the island and Rainforest Trail), either way you go you will find it interesting.

Drive back over the bridge the way you came and if you make a right at the first light at the bottom of the bridge it will take you back towards the docks and the boat you came in on.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. Now, I need some tips on what to drive to in Juneau. We plan on spending time at Mendenhall Glacier, and after that do some self guided sight seeing. Would love some advise. I usually look at what the cruise ships offer and then go from there.

Juneau's main road system is only about 45 miles from end to end, and navigation is simple... everything is "out the road" or "in town"... with a few points of interest "in the valley".

Organization and sequence will be up to you, but my list would include:

-Mendenhall Glacier

-Skater's Cabin (a view of Mendenhall Glacier from the other side of the lake - opposite the Visitor Center.)

- Auke Bay small boat harbor - stop for a burger at the Hot Bite and see all the whale watch and fishing boats come and go.

- Shrine of St. Therese

- Maybe continue on to the end of the road?

- Amalga Harbor

- DIPAC fish hatchery

- AK State Museum

- Over the bridge to Douglas Island: North is the opposite view of Auke Bay and possible whale sightings, etc. South is the town of Douglas and "Sandy Beach" at Savikko Park.

-Case

Contact Rent-a-Wreck in Juneau. The other agencies are at the airport and don't offer a shuttle. Rent-a-Wreck will pick you up at your ship, take you to their office (NEAR the airport) to do the paperwork, then send you on your way with the car. For an additional fee, you can leave the car parked downtown near the ship instead of returning it to their office. It's a $25+ cab ride between downtown and their offices.

Make (and pay) your reservation early. cars are limited, and they're usually sold out.

-Case

Totally agree.. RAW is a great company, very visitor friendly. Cars are kind of old though.. but it didn't bother me..

Archived