Totally new to snorkeling, advice needed

Sandi149

Hi,

My husband and I are going on a cruise to the E. Carribbean this June. We will be going to The Baths on Virgin Gorda and to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. We have never done snorkeling but would love to try it. The two of us know how to swim and are not afraid of the water. We are planning to buy our own mask and tube because the thought of using a rented one that other people have used grosses me out.

Anyway, how does a beginner snorkle? Pardon my ignorance on this, but we have never done it before. Is it easy to do? Do we need to take a lesson first?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Sandi: Breathing through the snorkel will feal un-natural the first time you do it. The more you try it, the easier it becomes so don't give up right away. You might look a little silly, but I would recommend practicing a few times in the ship's pool, so you will be ready to optimize your snorkeling experience in the Virgin Islands.

Sandi,

I don't know what cruiseline you are going out on, but on the first day, go to the excursion desk and ask if they are going to have a snorkeling lesson. I know Royal and Princess do this, usually on the first sea day.

I am addicted to snorkeling and diving. My advice is relax, stay in the shallower water until you are comfortable. Swim with your legs. Always look down. And never look back at your feet. That is a sure way to get a snorkel full of water.

Have fun.

Mike

Hi,

My husband and I are going on a cruise to the E. Carribbean this June. We will be going to The Baths on Virgin Gorda and to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. We have never done snorkeling but would love to try it. The two of us know how to swim and are not afraid of the water. We are planning to buy our own mask and tube because the thought of using a rented one that other people have used grosses me out.

Anyway, how does a beginner snorkle? Pardon my ignorance on this, but we have never done it before. Is it easy to do? Do we need to take a lesson first?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Agree with the others. In the water, slow and steady wins the race. You can "practice on land" even while sitting and watching tv. Simply lightly pinch your nose and breath through your mouth (if you've ever had a cold you know how this feels). Just do it for a short time and concentrate on relaxed, deep breaths. It doesn't take long to get used to breathing that way.

Also some other hints:

Go to a local dive shop to get your mask and snorkel. Faces are different. With a dive shop, they'll be happy show you how to properly fix a mask (don't know how many people, including my brother-in-law, have missed out on snorkeling because their mask leaked due to improper fit). While there, don't feel bad if you ask them to break out every mask they have in stock. Each mask fits a bit differently and you want the best fix.

Also look for a 'dry' snorkel. A lot of snorkels now have a series of valves on top of the tube that allows air in but keeps water out. Making your snorkel adventure more enjoyable.

If you have a local community school with a pool, go to a open session and check out your new mask and snorkel in a confined space before you go (also ask the dive shop as they train in pools and can give you hints on where and when to go).

While snorkeling, think about extending your legs and sicssor kick from the hips (many new snorkelers bend at the knees and "bicycle" kick which won't get you very far, very fast). Also remember that you are much more bouyant in salt water so you don't have to worry about sinking. Keep your arms out (my wife and I like to hold hands while snorkeling) and those deep breaths will keep you up as your lungs act like water wings.

Finally, enjoy the reefs. At the surface swimming over them you are perfectly safe from critters and fish and please don't touch or stand on the coral. It's composed of living creatures and is extremely sharp and fragile.

Randall

for the first time on the valor in 5/07. Well, actually it will be OFF the valor, but you get the idea.

I have done a ton of research online and at our three local dive shops. I decided to buy a snorkel set made by US divers and bought from isnorkel.com (or something like that).

I'm just your average guy, and this set fits me great for about $60 with a backpack-style bag for carrying the gear off the ship.

Go cats

Great.....thanks for the pointers folks. :D

try it in a pool or at the YMCA before you go so you are comfortable with it. I agree with starting in shallow water and all the other advise too, but if you are scared, that wont cure it unless you've done it before. If you do it in a pool or a controlled environment, you may be scared when its time to put your face in the water. Just a thought....

I tried snorkeling for the first time in Dec. 2006 in Antigua. I didn't get any practice in, but I was eyeballin' our hottub as a potential target. ;) We also purchased our stuff, not wanting to risk using rental equipment. We purchased "dry" snorkels, fins, masks, and vests for bouyancy. You might want to check out unrealfind.com as another option for your gear. I thought the only hard part was getting those darn fins on the first time.:eek:

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

It was my first time when I went on my cruise also. I bought my gear (US Divers mask and dry snorkel for 17$) on ebay. The obvious disadvantage being you cant return it if it doesnt fit right. Mine seemed to work o.k. A few thoughts

Dont try to talk under water

Swim on top, look down

Be aware of your surroundings at all times (Ok this ones serious. I almost was impaled through my chest on more than one occasion by a sea urchin because I became so enthralled with looking at everything else and trying to take pictures, I never saw how close I was coming to the rocks they were on. I was saved by my catlike reflexes(Luckily I'm still kind of flexible at my advanced age and was able to avoid them). But they were close calls and I'm sure it would've been very painful. Know where you're at.

But the actual lack of effort that it takes to float is great, amazing (to me) almost.

WEAR SUNSCREEN

Practice, practice, practice- I was able to try mine out in my friends pool. Very helpful.

Heck if you have to, try it out in the shower as a last resort. Like previous posters said, the breathing takes a little getting used to.

If you're a confident swimmer, you'll have a blast.

Let me just end by saying that the snorkeling on my cruise was by far the highlight of the trip for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried snorkeling for the first time in Dec. 2006 in Antigua. I didn't get any practice in, but I was eyeballin' our hottub as a potential target. ;) We also purchased our stuff, not wanting to risk using rental equipment. We purchased "dry" snorkels, fins, masks, and vests for bouyancy. You might want to check out unrealfind.com as another option for your gear. I thought the only hard part was getting those darn fins on the first time.:eek:

Vince

I learned a great way to get the fins on easily. Get them and your feet wet. If you have the "shoe style" fins then fold the heel underneath the fin. Slide your foot in and then flip the heel cup back up around your heel.

If you're walking into the water from land.... walk backward. It's a lot of fun watching people that try to walk in forward......:D

One other tip that I remember from my first snorkeling experience. Wear a long t-shirt to protect your back and rear. I snorkeled for hours, and in the water I didn't realize that the sun was beating down on my backside until it was too late! Trouble sitting for dinner that night!

Enjoy!

all this advise is good. just 1 more thing ....if you buy a mask be sure to wash it with toothpaste b4 using it this will get the silicon film off of it and it acts like a no fog after rinsing let air dry and then put away..... have fun....dont do this......sharkattack.gif LOL lets us know how you do

I agree with all the previous advice about trying your gear beforehand. I'm always the first in and last out of the water, since I have my gear and don't have to make any adjustments at the dive site.

Taking the ship's tour is a good idea as well, since you can let someone else worry about the site and you'll have supervision.

The main reason to have your own gear is fit and quality. The mask is the most important piece of equipment and will make or break your day. When I bought mine I literally tried on every mask in the store first. I've seen more people lose time due to improperly fitting masks than any other reason and when I only have 45 mins at a dive site, every minute counts!

Archived